Coleman Roadtrip grill 285

Sjm9911

Super Active Member
May 31, 2018
Nj
Im not sure , but I think the regulater in mine is part of the knob controller. I may be able to look tomorrow. On mine the small 1 lb bottles screw in right under the knobs, there is no outside regulator like other grills. But some may have used them on LP.

Patrick w

Aug 13, 2021
On 1lb factory equipped devices I've never seen a regulator. However every adapter from a 25lb I have seen a regulator.

tjnoel

Oct 8, 2003
Unfortunately, no. I tried hooking up to the propane connection on the side of the trailer that was provided for cooking outdoors. This connection was provided for a dedicated stove or grill with no built-in regulator as a dealer option. This connection was already regulated down through the trailer's regulator. Since my grill had a temperature control integrated into it's own regulator (most all of them do), you end up dropping the pressure twice. Resulting in almost no flame. And since you need a temp regulator you can't get rid of the one on the grille. I bring along a Coleman gas lantern tree. Lantern goes on top and there are a couple of connections on the side of the tree I hook up to for my stove and grill. This mounts to the top of a 20 lb. cylinder. I have plenty of extra propane cylinders around the house. Not the most convenient option but having a gas Coleman lantern on top of the tree works well when cooking in low light...
1653318139372.png

bondebond

Super Active Member
Aug 14, 2008
@tjnoel and others, correct. You have to buy the gas appliance already designed for low pressure connections, often quick connects. Or you have to replace the integrated regulator and flame control knob with nothing-I've-ever-seen-commercially-available knob.

evm

Jun 30, 2013
Not sure you can remove the regulator on that model. I have an older version and the regulator is attached to the seemingly proprietary grill connection. It works great with a (non-regulated) hose and high pressure connection to a 5 lb tank.

Comments below mention that "double regulation doesn't work" and the description notes "To use this item with a Coleman product you must use a T-fitting before the regulator."

The T-fitting looks like this:

We find the 5 lb container (Amazon) ideal. It's easy to carry and move around, lasts a long time, and is cheap to fill. Hose and tank were approximately $75, but with the increasing cost of 1lb containers it quickly paid for itself. And it's not wasteful like the 1 lb cans.

Michael J

Aug 9, 2018
Michigan
Can a Roadtrip grill be operated on the LP propane that is the low pressure system in the pup??? If the LP regulator is removed, and an adapter is

I have the same grill I run it off the regulated line on the trailer, we have the hookup for the outside for the cooktop from inside to be used outside and I just hook up to that and use an adapter to fit the Coleman Roadtrip somehow I ended up with like 4 of the adapters lol I believe this is the adapter I got

And I bought the hose like 20'

Sjm9911

Super Active Member
May 31, 2018
Nj
I have the same grill I run it off the regulated line on the trailer, we have the hookup for the outside for the cooktop from inside to be used outside and I just hook up to that and use an adapter to fit the Coleman Roadtrip somehow I ended up with like 4 of the adapters lol I believe this is the adapter I got

Is your output on the camper lp or hp? There is a diffrence.

Sjm9911

Super Active Member
May 31, 2018
Nj
Ok, so looking at the adaptor, it says to remove the regulater in the grill. So yea, if you do that it should work. My roadtrip grill is diffrent, the conection is on the front. So, maybe diffrent versions of the grill will work.

bondebond

Super Active Member
Aug 14, 2008

You links are a little wonky at least on my PC. Don't insert as media. Use the "Insert Link" and grab the URL from Amazon.
Quick connect low pressure adapter
20' low pressure hose
I had to view the page source to pull out the ASINs.

evm

Jun 30, 2013

Neat! I guess the connector on the older roadtrips isn't proprietary. Thanks for sharing.

Sjm9911

Super Active Member
May 31, 2018
Nj
So now the question is , did you remove the regulater on the grill? Is it part of the peice that goes into the back of your grill? Mine is diffrent.

rob.mwpropane

Aug 11, 2021
Does anyone have any examples of a HP system? I see etrailer sells a 30psi hp regulator, but I can't seem to find an example of the step down regulators after that.

With the little lines under the popup it's no wonder why the appliances won't fire. It's such a small line of 1/2psi. I would like to switch the system over to a HP system to make the outdoor connection more versatile but then the inside cooktop and furnace would need regulators.

The best cheapest way I have figured (as mentioned in this thread) is to add a T at the front and tie into the tank at tank pressure .

I really like the lantern, that's nice @tjnoel

Sjm9911

Super Active Member
May 31, 2018
Nj
I think it was 2 diffrent lines, the one that ran to the appliances and inside had lp, a seprate line was run from the toung under the camper for the hp line. I belive this had a regulater on it also. I dont have the pup anymore , so I cant go look how it was hooked up on the front.

Patrick w

Aug 13, 2021
I was shocked when someone just recently told me that the Coleman's green propane have 7k of power... Meanwhile the everest "high pressure" has 20k burners! Out of the same 1lb canisters...

Michael J

Aug 9, 2018
Michigan
So now the question is , did you remove the regulater on the grill? Is it part of the peice that goes into the back of your grill? Mine is diffrent.
Yes the screw on regulator comes off and the adapter screws on in it's place I'll try to dig it out of the camper and try to get you some pictures