Coleman Roadtrip grill 285

Sjm9911

Super Active Member
May 31, 2018
Nj
Yea, my roadtrip does not have that option. The regulater is built into the controllers. So, if you xan take the regulater off your fuled burning appliance you are good, if not you will not get any btu output. So, it depends on the grill.

Michael J

Aug 9, 2018
Yea, my roadtrip does not have that option. The regulater is built into the controllers. So, if you xan take the regulater off your fuled burning appliance you are good, if not you will not get any btu output. So, it depends on the grill.
Here are some pictures of mine
And multi ways I hook gas to it

Attachments

• IMG_20220524_114032934.jpg
    IMG_20220524_114032934.jpg
    176.8 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_20220524_113727254_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220524_113727254_HDR.jpg
    235.5 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20220524_113741802.jpg
    IMG_20220524_113741802.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20220524_113749375.jpg
    IMG_20220524_113749375.jpg
    185.6 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_20220524_113818737.jpg
    IMG_20220524_113818737.jpg
    230.1 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_20220524_113845887.jpg
    IMG_20220524_113845887.jpg
    515 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_20220524_113919954.jpg
    IMG_20220524_113919954.jpg
    242.2 KB · Views: 13

rob.mwpropane

Aug 11, 2021

My Coleman 285 is built in like that. I was thinking of running another regulator @ hp to the rear of the camper but that would be more work than it's worth. In the end I just bought a T to go on one of the 2 bottles up front and a longer hose. Still haven't found a use for the LP port on the back of the camper.... maybe that lantern one day, who knows.

Michael J

Aug 9, 2018
You know on my older StarCraft I cut the line in myself after the regulator to the low pressure side there is no reason you can't do that with the high pressure side is there and make your own connection point?
Michael J, where did you get that male quick connect adapter?
Michael J, where did you get that male quick connect adapter?
Off Amazon

Attachments

• IMG_20220524_115934417.jpg
    IMG_20220524_115934417.jpg
    287.3 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20220524_115927929.jpg
    IMG_20220524_115927929.jpg
    237.8 KB · Views: 7

Sneezer

Super Active Member
Aug 8, 2015
DFW, TX
For future reference most of the Roadtrip grills can be converted to run off the low pressure quick connect. Most of them have a threaded regulator, and there are numerous adapters on Amazon that will replace the Coleman regulator with a quick connect.

I think there are actually 4 kinds of Road Trips that have been produced. I used to have one of the first - thebluemodel with a table/stand - this was the ideal one IMO. The stand had side wings to use as a worksurface, and the grill just sat on top of it. They could be stored apart, which made it much easier to pack in a pup. I would have had problems with the integrated ones they sell now as they are too high when folded up.

On mine the regulator used a spring clip pressure type fitting - no threads. I bought a spare regulator, removed the regulator portion, and triple clamped a propane hose to it. No leaks after several years of use.

The current ones use a threaded regulator, which is easy to get an adapter for.

They make another model that has stronger burners, but it is high pressure, so incompatible with the low pressure outlet most pups have.

Finally there is the model that has the regulator integrated with the knobs, so no chance of adapting.

I enjoyed cooking on mine - I had the 2 burner griddle, single burner cast iron grill grates, stove grates, and single burner griddles. However, after using it for a couple years, and then using a big Camp chef model with scouts I endded up selling the whole package. On mine it really struggled if there was any sort of breeze. I went so far as to pick up a stove Coleman made that was based on the Roadtrip, but had a flat lid with wind walls. It fit my model fine but I had to add some slots for the wind guards to clip into. That helped some, but wasn’t ideal. If you can block the wind, they are a great economical option. I coooked tons of food on mine over the years.

I now use a Camp Chef Pro60X that I rescued from the side of the road, along with a BBQ box that sits over one burner. I had to fix some bits, replace some knobs and bend the frame a little, but it is working great now. I even picked up a single burner griddle for it, and my outdoor coooking experience is approaching nirvana now. Very happy, although it weighs a fair amount. However, I don’t need to take the Weber anymore, and with alll the cast iron I had with the Coleman the whole thing is pretty close in weight anyway.

rob.mwpropane

Aug 11, 2021
For future reference most of the Roadtrip grills can be converted to run off the low pressure quick connect. Most of them have a threaded regulator, and there are numerous adapters on Amazon that will replace the Coleman regulator with a quick connect.

I think there are actually 4 kinds of Road Trips that have been produced. I used to have one of the first - thebluemodel with a table/stand - this was the ideal one IMO. The stand had side wings to use as a worksurface, and the grill just sat on top of it. They could be stored apart, which made it much easier to pack in a pup. I would have had problems with the integrated ones they sell now as they are too high when folded up.

On mine the regulator used a spring clip pressure type fitting - no threads. I bought a spare regulator, removed the regulator portion, and triple clamped a propane hose to it. No leaks after several years of use.

The current ones use a threaded regulator, which is easy to get an adapter for.

They make another model that has stronger burners, but it is high pressure, so incompatible with the low pressure outlet most pups have.

Finally there is the model that has the regulator integrated with the knobs, so no chance of adapting.

I enjoyed cooking on mine - I had the 2 burner griddle, single burner cast iron grill grates, stove grates, and single burner griddles. However, after using it for a couple years, and then using a big Camp chef model with scouts I endded up selling the whole package. On mine it really struggled if there was any sort of breeze. I went so far as to pick up a stove Coleman made that was based on the Roadtrip, but had a flat lid with wind walls. It fit my model fine but I had to add some slots for the wind guards to clip into. That helped some, but wasn’t ideal. If you can block the wind, they are a great economical option. I coooked tons of food on mine over the years.

I now use a Camp Chef Pro60X that I rescued from the side of the road, along with a BBQ box that sits over one burner. I had to fix some bits, replace some knobs and bend the frame a little, but it is working great now. I even picked up a single burner griddle for it, and my outdoor coooking experience is approaching nirvana now. Very happy, although it weighs a fair amount. However, I don’t need to take the Weber anymore, and with alll the cast iron I had with the Coleman the whole thing is pretty close in weight anyway.

I'll have to take another look @ my Coleman 285. I think it's the larger one with 3 burners but I believe the regulator is built inside. The entire thing stores in the front bin with a bunch of chairs on top of it. Pulling it out with the hose and connecting to a T on the front hasn't been bad... I guess that's why I never really looked into it anymore.