Convincing significant other of Pop UP

DiamondGirl

Adventures with KODI in AZ
Jul 2, 2016
AZ
Someone started a list of their preferred hybrid travel trailer. It’s a start.

Happy Camping…[put&hy]

BillyMc

Super Active Member
Mar 25, 2018
South Carolina
Someone started a list of their preferred hybrid travel trailer. It’s a start.

Happy Camping…[put&hy]
I was going to post the same page. Personally I would go with the KZ Sportsman Classic 180 RBT. It has the best sleeping capacity to weight of any of the three bunk models I have seen. Another plus for me is although pictures of this exact model seem to be a bit illusive the rest of the campers in this series all seem to have metal siding. If you do a search on RV Trader for that model you can find some pictures of units for sale.

Just something I never thought about before we started looking at campers because it wasn't an issue with tent camping. When you have slides or bunks that come out on one side and the awning on the other, width can be an issue on some sites. I've seen sites that the person had to choose if they wanted to open the slide or extend the awning because the trees made the camper area too narrow for both.

Last edited:

PaThacker

Super Active Member
Feb 11, 2010
Poconos
Towing a hybrid or travel trailer has nothing to do with weight. The frontal area alone is kills the motor. The weight rating is overall stability if combination. Put 8500 lbs behind a 6400 lb truck. The trailer runs the show.

PaThacker

Super Active Member
Feb 11, 2010
Poconos
Towing a hybrid or travel trailer has nothing to do with weight. The frontal area alone is kills the motor. The weight rating is overall stability if combination. Put 8500 lbs behind a 6400 lb truck. The trailer runs the show

ChrisS_NC

May 30, 2015
Chris S_NC - yes, any roof is only as good as the original construction (i.e. any flaws) and up keep. We inspect our roof on a regular basis, and have it cleaned and treated 1-3 times a year. Even the fiberglass egg campers require upkeep. Our friends have their Casita detailed by a shop that specializes in fiberglass boats and campers. The owner was very happy when they brought it to him after only a year or so, and regularly since. He said he often doesn't see them until they've begun to oxidize, powder, or whatever term he used. Easier to prevent things than fix them.
They actually did have a "hole" in the roof, when a rivet holding something (I think a cupboard) let go - they glanced up and could see skylight. Easy to repair, but reinforced the idea that we all need to keep tabs on any type of camper.

Regular maintenence is required with almost everything. The major advanatage to fiberglass is it's repairability, lack of any wood in the structure, and many fewer seems between dissimilar materials. Gelcoat does break down over time if not cared for properly.

ChrisS_NC

May 30, 2015
I do plan on regular inspections. I'm hoping like one or two times a year.

For TT and HT, sealing the seams is the biggest thing from what i can gather, and making sure the bunk ends have been taken care of. the Gutters can you add those after the fact / are they worth it?
Thats a good plan. We inspeced our TT roof every 2 weeks when we were living in it full time. We also purchased a miosture meter which helped identify any areas where we had a leak. We found that the roof was not the biggest issue. That was the the improperly installed windows. I ended up removing all of them, resealing, re-mounting, and caulking around them each at some point. I also had to replace water damaged flooring in the slide and master bedroom.

BillyMc

Super Active Member
Mar 25, 2018
South Carolina
I do plan on regular inspections. I'm hoping like one or two times a year.

For TT and HT, sealing the seams is the biggest thing from what i can gather, and making sure the bunk ends have been taken care of. the Gutters can you add those after the fact / are they worth it?
I'm checking ours for water intrusion every heavy rain.

F. Jake Glotz

Sep 1, 2021
Boise Idaho
Don’t give up too soon. Pop ups can appeal to many people to their interests and motivation. My wife seemed more interested in decorating ours and it looks like a Ralph Lauren showroom. They represent an efficiency and frugality that appeals to me and can be the most inexpensive entre into an RV. They are easy to tow, store, and right now, parts are available and affordable. I like to cook, so the set up we have with outdoor tables and the gas grill make a nice setup. I always pre-stage the coffee for the morning. There are hundreds of like minded people here how can also provide sound reasons for selecting a popup.

Identify her key motivations and appeal to them. Tell her how happy it would make you to have a pop up. We're with you, Brother!

Attachments

• 8889E2CA-4C6F-4663-A3C8-E35C1E052865.jpeg
    8889E2CA-4C6F-4663-A3C8-E35C1E052865.jpeg
    268.5 KB · Views: 11

Breckler23

Mar 8, 2022
Thanks I’m slowing down on the camper search and trying to find a good one / one that can fit our needs well right now / next 2-4 years well.

I love the idea of the rock wood Roos with 3 beds, but not many out there for under 20k.

Does anyone know if the fleetwood Niagara is a high wall? Can you tell if they are high walls by having firm / hard sided shower / toilets?

Agent27

Jun 10, 2020
Thanks I’m slowing down on the camper search and trying to find a good one / one that can fit our needs well right now / next 2-4 years well.

I love the idea of the rock wood Roos with 3 beds, but not many out there for under 20k.

Does anyone know if the fleetwood Niagara is a high wall? Can you tell if they are high walls by having firm / hard sided shower / toilets?
Usually HW pop ups will have a higher counter top and the sink does not fold down for travel. Some will also have HW in their model number.

campagain

Jun 24, 2017
The one thing I feel important to call out is, does your wife have any back issues? Mine does, and we had to get extra padding for the "mattresses" in the wings.