CP-03 Converter Wiring

36Oldseight

Jun 28, 2016
Hello All -

Slowly rehab'ing our 1980 Viking Saga and ran into a wiring question on the converter. There's a BLUE wire no longer connected in the harness along with the BATT +/- wires. According to the manual, the blue wire is labeled CONV +.

Is this wire meant to also attach at the battery positive terminal? Despite the age, the converter works well and makes very little noise... I would prefer to keep it that way!

Thank you in advance!

Chris

SteveP

Super Active Member
Platinum Supporting Member
May 21, 2015
Is this wire meant to also attach at the battery positive terminal?
I wouldn't think so. If the wire is powered when plugged in to Shore Power with the switch set to CONV it might be for a branch circuit. But why have a branch circuit that won't be powered by the battery?

Googling cp-03 brings up nothing related to a camper converter. Need the brand name and model number for possible research.

36Oldseight

Jun 28, 2016
I wouldn't think so. If the wire is powered when plugged in to Shore Power with the switch set to CONV it might be for a branch circuit. But why have a branch circuit that won't be powered by the battery?

Googling cp-03 brings up nothing related to a camper converter. Need the brand name and model number for possible research.
That is how I read it as well - below is the full make and model as well as the schematic included with the user manual.

The blue wire is bundled with the BATT+ and BATT - wires from the converter to the tongue.

Basler Electric / Central Power Pack System CP-03 1660683459530.jpeg

Raycfe

Waterford Ct.
Oct 3, 2007
Waterford, Ct
Not to rain on your parade ....... but. You have only a 3 amp VDC output and no battery charging convertor....... but that maybe all that you need.

NMroamer

Super Active Member
Apr 21, 2016
Albuquerque NM
Hello All -

Slowly rehab'ing our 1980 Viking Saga and ran into a wiring question on the converter. There's a BLUE wire no longer connected in the harness along with the BATT +/- wires. According to the manual, the blue wire is labeled CONV +.

Is this wire meant to also attach at the battery positive terminal? Despite the age, the converter works well and makes very little noise... I would prefer to keep it that way!

Thank you in advance!

Chris
According to the schmatic the blue wires are for DC branch circuit output from the converter.
There is no circuit to charge the battery. You will need an external charger.

Last edited:

SteveP

Super Active Member
Platinum Supporting Member
May 21, 2015
That is how I read it as well - below is the full make and model as well as the schematic included with the user manual.
Thanks for the pic. Definitely do not connect the blue wire to the battery. You can create a branch circuit but there's barely enough capacity off the converter to run two lights. You can salvage a little of that by putting led bulbs in the lights. May be enough to run a small water pump. Of course with the switch set to BATT you have the full capacity of the battery limited by the wiring and fuses.

36Oldseight

Jun 28, 2016
Not to rain on your parade ....... but. You have only a 3 amp VDC output and no battery charging convertor....... but that maybe all that you need.
Ha! Not raining on the parade at all... The popup is only running the 2 lights (1 int and 1 ext, both LED) on the DC side. Pretty bare bones setup - glorified tent on wheels, but serves the purpose!

Xjsport95

May 19, 2022
Hello All -

Thank you in advance!

Chris
I have an 85 Viking, mine has orange and white wires from the converter, orange is positive and white is neutral… I have a blue wire comming through the floor connecting to the positive to charge from the tow vehicle, i would trace the wire to make sure that’s what it is

36Oldseight

Jun 28, 2016
I have an 85 Viking, mine has orange and white wires from the converter, orange is positive and white is neutral… I have a blue wire comming through the floor connecting to the positive to charge from the tow vehicle, i would trace the wire to make sure that’s what it is
Mine is the same (I mentioned red as that's what the diagram from the converter showed.) As the tiny converter mine is equipped with does not have charging provisions, I will leave it tucked in the frame rail.

XJSport95.. I had a 89 XJ Sport! Loved that thing, it went everywhere!