Deer Warning Whistles

PopUpSteve

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2002
Southeastern PA
@TSQ just posted a photo of a moose (didn't see his Squirrel friend) and it made me think (always dangerous), you know those deer warning whistles you can put on the front of a vehicle? Has anyone ever mounted those on a camper as well? Would have to find a spot on the camper that would get as much wind as the front of the TV. These normally work only at speeds over 35mph.

And yes, I know that every set of 2, one works and one is a fake.

J Starsky

Super Active Member
Aug 3, 2017
East Central MN
I had a pair mounted under the front license plate bracket on my 2013 Dodge Dart. I also rock a block heater cord on, for MN hotness factors. Cheap online or PEP Boyz / Orielly Boyz.
You'd have to get them into the wind, if mounting on the trailer only.

Sjm9911

Super Active Member
May 31, 2018
Nj
I was going to try them, the deer around me are crazy. But most said they did nothing. I just drive around in the morning and try to go the way that I dont see deer. Its like a game. Not helpful for reguler driving. They look cute, but man I hate them. And their poop.

xxxapache

Super Active Member
Jul 30, 2008
Or lucky you lived, thats a feet.
Lucky I lived is how I now view it. I've put 200k+ on motorcycles with hardly a scratch. I used to think nothing about riding hundreds of miles in the dark, often leaving for a trip after dark and riding to 1 am or so before getting a motel. In the past few years, I have became more selective and self-aware.

tfischer

A bad day camping beats a good day at the office
I remember them being a big thing in the late 80s, right as I was starting to drive. I had a pair on my first car in high school (my dad made sure of it).

Later on, I read some articles that said that they weren't very effective: that if they worked at all, you would be too close to the deer by the time it heard it to have time to react. I haven't used them for decades now.

That said, maybe things have improved in 35 years.

Snow

Super Active Member
Jul 19, 2007
Ontario
Lots of deer around my place.. hit one 2 months after moving. Haven't even seen one since installing the whistles.. Not sure if the whistles work or its the fact my truck suffers from the Dodge cracked manifold bolt syndrome and also has a holed muffler..