Denali State Park

generok

Super Active Member
Gold Supporting Member
Feb 7, 2013
Anchorage, AK
Went to K'esugi Ken Campground last weekend which is in Denali State Park, Alaska. We left pretty early Friday to take our time on the drive up, and we didn't have too much traffic once we got out of Wasilla rush hour.

1655481458509.png

I read a lot of posts about everyone liking to go to State Parks because they have hookups at reasonable rates. It's the EXACT opposite in Alaska. We have a LOT of State Parks and Recreation Areas, but they are all dry sites EXCEPT this park. They have 50/30/15 amp electric, which is great! Water is in the CG (hand pump, and one spigot by the Ranger Station), but no dump site. Anyway, we got set up just before noon and had lunch. That's nice on the first day to basically have the whole afternoon and night.

1655482571217.png

Sites are roomy with plenty of woods between sites. It clouded up all day Friday and we knew it was supposed to rain Friday night and Saturday, which it did. But it stopped Saturday for a while and I was able to sit out and have a cigar and a gin and tonic...

1655482699041.png

Went out on the nature trail to see if Denali was out... kind of, but the high clouds hid her peaks. Pretty good views of the valley though.

1655482845744.png
Got a good picture of the rising sun at 5am on Sunday too while the wolves were howling somewhere in the distance.

1655482936299.png

And like many weekend Alaska adventures... sunny on the drive in, rain all day in camp, sunny on the way home... so we had to stop for ice cream at Miller's...

1655482996791.png

Rig performed fine all weekend, no issues to report. We did have a little thunderstorm Saturday night, but it never really got bad. It did get up to 78 in the rig on Friday afternoon, so we had to run the A/C for a bit, but it also got down to 43F in the morning. Typical... A/C on until 11pm, then heat on at 5am. I like this CG.

kcsa75

Super Active Member
Gold Supporting Member
Sep 9, 2013
Kansas City
1. Rush hour in Wasilla? Has it grown that much?

2. Is Millers the place with the big metal Chicken out front.

Last edited:

generok

Super Active Member
Gold Supporting Member
Feb 7, 2013
Anchorage, AK
1. Rush hour in Wasilla? Has it grown that much?

2. Is Millers the place with the big metal Chicken out front.
Yeah, the Mat-Su valley is the fastest growing area in AK. It took us about 40 minutes to go from the end of the divided Parks Hwy to the other side of Main St. I mean, it's not Atlanta or LA, but having to wait more than one light to cycle to get through is traffic.

Millers has tractors and the metal mosquitoes out front. I think the big metal chicken you're thinking of is in Chicken.

maryloucb

May 14, 2020
Many years ago I worked at Denali National Park for 3 summers and then moved to Anchorage and then Girdwood. Did lots of backpacking in the national park and the state park as well. Drove up and down the Alcan several times along with taking the ferry to Haines. I would love to take my son up there to explore--he's never been. Just need to find a chunk of time! Beautiful photos!

campfire Joe

Jan 27, 2015
peru new york
Nice pics generok. Looks like you caught the MT on clear day. When we visited it back in 1985 we caught it on a clear day in mid October. What a view! It's not cloudless too many days of the year. You got to be lucky.:smiley: