Despite the rumors, popups are not gone!

kitphantom

Super Active Member
Platinum Supporting Member
Dec 26, 2009
Albuquerque, NM
We're on a 16 night trip in AZ, North And South Rims of Grand Canyon. So far, in the Flagstaff KOA (first night, middle 3 nights and last night out stop) and at North Rim,as well on the road, popups of all sorts have been well represented. I've seen Aliners and Chalets, a Trailmanor, canvas popups of many sizes and ages, from new to probably 70s or 80s. It will be interesting to see what the mix is like at Mather at South Rim. (There is always a good number of tents, down to almost bivy-type ones, because people camp before or after a backpack; it's one reason that people start leaving the campground around 4 a.m.)
What we've been seeing more of in the last year or so, including this trip, are the slide-in truck campers that popup. A couple I saw at North Rim are the type that do popup a bit, but the doorway would require a much more flexible person than I am now to go in and out. On one of our travel days, we even saw a load of the slide in truck campers going for delivery.

May 1, 2022
We had our pop-up in Ohio last weekend and saw five or more other pop-ups there. It seems like they're still going strong.

kitphantom

Super Active Member
Platinum Supporting Member
Dec 26, 2009
Albuquerque, NM
Enjoy beautiful AZ!
Been intersting so far, apparently there was a tropical storm causing the rain and rain and rain at North Rim. I think I saw as much of the Canyon in the 5 days than I usually do in a single day. Looks to be clearing, will be interssting to find out how the weather was on the river when I pick my husband up from his raft trip tomorrow