Do you drink the water from your PUP tank?

Jul 20, 2014
You can, but the dewinterizing with bleach sometimes adds a chlorine flavor to the hoses that takes a while to come out.

Be sure that you fill the tank with city tap water, though, rather than well water or purified (RO) water. City water is treated so that organisms that might grow when sitting for a while won't... Purified water doesn't have that protection.

Mtman59808

Oct 1, 2017
The tank is meant to hold drinking water, right? We are going to have 5 people boondocking in the desert for 4 days, so we will need a good supply of water. But if we shouldn't drink the camper water, I better get some big containers.
Yes, Sanitize your tank, rinse, refill.

kitphantom

Super Active Member
Platinum Supporting Member
Dec 26, 2009
Albuquerque, NM
You can, but the dewinterizing with bleach sometimes adds a chlorine flavor to the hoses that takes a while to come out.

Be sure that you fill the tank with city tap water, though, rather than well water or purified (RO) water. City water is treated so that organisms that might grow when sitting for a while won't... Purified water doesn't have that protection.
With our TT, with a 20-gallon fresh tank, I’ve found that bleach is much easier to rinse out than the 2-part product I have used in the past. I don’t find it difficult to rinse out, but then, our city water is pretty high in chlorine, soit smells pretty strong. I use a PUR filter at home, and in the trailer.

Oldspurs

Jan 2, 2022
Central Texas
I have always disinfected on board water tank every spring along with all water lines, except water heater. Once process is complete, you bet I drink the water. We travel with water tank filled, so as to have water when we arrive. If hookups are available, we check the source after putting it through a duel stage filter. If water in clear glass sitting for an hour has no floating debris in it I will also use that source when on board tank is dry. As Popup Steve stated, we have criss/crossed the country with full tank of water no problem. See you on the trail.

Emtjester

Apr 11, 2022
we bring 5 gallon water bottles. you can get a battery powered spigot/pump that sits on top, we use that for drinking water. use the tank for dishes. no need to sanitize or worry. Boondocking with the runs isn’t worth it.

Sjm9911

Super Active Member
May 31, 2018
Nj
Obly had one campground so far that had iffy water. I drink out of my tank every trip. Use the water filter off the hook up or fill line. The one time the water just tasted off, so we went to our back up plan. I always take a case of water with me and a fill a 5 gallon jury can up. Sometimes it never gets used. The 5 gallon always sits on the picnic table for risnsing of hands, feet and weting a rag to wipe stuff down. So it gets used. If you sanitize, and rinse the tank and lines , it shouldnt be a problem to drink it.

Snow

Super Active Member
Jul 19, 2007
Lets see a few hundred pound hammering on the cheap, thin plywood floor of a popup with every bump.

Surely it'll never break :rolleyes:
Actually it is more due to the flimsy strapping that is used to suspend an under floor tank.. For me (besides not wanting to haul 320lbs for no reason) it's also due to my water tank being after of the axle.

ThroughLiner

Aug 30, 2022
I winterize with vodka and/or grain alcohol. Theoretically, at least, these fluids are "food grade." It takes a system flush or two in the spring to get the taste out (similar to bleach or vinegar).

We pretty much only boondock.

We mostly drink from Reliance 6 Gal. jugs when we're out there since we spend most of our time not in our camper. But we drink and brush teeth with camper tank water as needed.

As others have said, proper maintenance of the water system should allow you to drink from that system whenever you need.

As a side note: Another poster mentioned the battery-powered pumps to basically add a faucet to water jugs. I bought a similar system but opted for a foot-pump. When we were camping over the holidays I hooked it up and at some point filled my nighttime water bottle from it. The water tasted like I was drinking out of a rubber toilet plunger... totally disgusting! So, moral of the story is: for new systems/lines/pumps/tanks... flushing out the industrial (and no doubt carcinogenic) chemicals that often coat these components is important!

kudzu

Gold Supporting Member
Oct 20, 2014
Knee deep in kudzu
We drink from the tank but both my trailers have a taste I don’t care for. Water is clean & safe to drink but not to my liking. It’s fine for brushing teeth or washing down a few pills. I prefer to run it through a little Brita water pitcher to have good tasting water for drinking, coffee, tea, etc. Then again, I only drink filtered water at home so maybe I’m just too picky about my water.