Do you leave battery disconnected when camper is not in use?

Galaxie Girl

Jun 26, 2022
Colorado
I feel like I saw a thread on this site about proper battery maintenance and now I can't find it. Doh!

Do you leave the battery disconnected when not using the camper? Do you periodically put a trickle charger on it, or at least check the voltage level occasionally? Any other maintenance tips?

Snow

Super Active Member
Jul 19, 2007
Ontario
Yes, disconnect the battery when not in use.. either by installing a disconnect switch, physically removing the negative wire or by pulling the inline fuse on the positive wire.

I have a disconnect switch on my battery and use a small solar panel to keep it topped up.

rsdata

Oct 3, 2011
N. KY
if your camper is equipped with a CO/propane alarm and/or a radio then those items are always running draining the battery in a matter of a couple of weeks or so making it proper to either keep the battery charger on all the time or disconnecting it

a trickle charger or maintainer can be left plugged in keeping the battery at full charge either hooked up in the trailer or pulled out

kitphantom

Super Active Member
Platinum Supporting Member
Dec 26, 2009
Albuquerque, NM
On our popup, we had a disconnect switch. If we didn't go out once a month, we put it on the charger. I once tested it to see how much of a drain the LP/Co detector was, and it took the battery down something like 10% a week. Since time slips away from most of us, that can add up - You don't want to a battery drawn down to less than 50% state-of-charge. during the off-season, we took the battery in the garage and put it on a charger once a month.
With our TT, we have two 6v golf cart batteries, which are a pain to remove. We tried the garage charging routine for the first winter. Since the TT lives in our driveway and we ahve a good charger on the converter, we just leave the trailer plugged in year-round. If we couldn't do that, we'd use a solar maintainer.

jmkay1

2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Oct 10, 2013
Northern Virginia
Because my camper is stored off-site I remove my battery and hook it up to my charger/maintainer at home. That way I can keep it maintained and give it a good charge just before a trip. I have on occasion especially if going on a trip sooner after another just disconnected the negative wire and left it until my next trip. I reconnect the battery. My SUV is able to charge the battery via the pigtail so if it needed charging in the two weeks it sat it will be charged in route to the next campground.

fronsm

First time owner at 67
Jul 1, 2020
Indiana
Someone wrote on another feed that they pulled the fuse for the co alarm. I pulled mine, but then a red light came on and I figured I wasn't making any progress if the red light was going to drain the battery. Any thoughts?

KeizerTrailer

Aug 31, 2020
Keizer, OR
I have a battery disconnect that gets flipped when on the road or not in use. I have an SAE connector passthrough on my battery box that I use for my charging needs when not hooked to Shore Power.

kcsa75

Super Active Member
Gold Supporting Member
Sep 9, 2013
Kansas City
We seldom boondocks so the battery's primary purpose is operating the tongue jack.

I always disconnect the battery when I put it in the storage shed. I've yet to come back to a dead battery even over the Kansas winter.

tfischer

A bad day camping beats a good day at the office
Yes I pull the inline fuse when not camping or getting ready to camp. No need to have it constantly being drained by the CO detector and such. And I choose not to keep it plugged in constantly, if for nothing else to save a bit of energy and also not have a warm place that rodents want to get near as the weather cools down.

Over-winter the battery moves inside, but it's not on a maintainer. Even from October-May, I've never seen the battery drop significantly when I test it in the spring.

xvz12

Super Active Member
Apr 6, 2017
ID
We have a master disconnect that we switch off when the pup's not in use, but the roof-mounted solar panels are left connected 24-7. Even with the cover on, & 6-8 inches of snow on the pup, enough light leaks thru to provide a tickle charge to the battery bank. We've had this setup for 4 years now, with no issues. I have a 100AH LiFePo4 battery & lithium solar controller ready to install, but I've been waiting for the existing lead-acid batteries to die....😀