Eight weeks on the road

TSQ

Mar 28, 2021
Niagara Region, ON
Day 60:

Spent most of the day at the beach and went for a hike before supper.
PXL_20220828_220709440.jpg

We were planning to leave the next morning and the forecast was saying rain so we packed up most of our stuff before turning in for the night.

Distance travelled: 0 km
Fuel economy: ---
Fuel purchased: ---
Solar harvested: 40 Wh

Last edited:

NLB

Oct 10, 2021
West Palm Beach, Florida
I thank you so much for all the time and effort you spent on this travelogue. It meant a lot to me because I’m not able to get back to camping for a few weeks yet. I enjoyed every post and picture. Bravo Zulu!!

TSQ

Mar 28, 2021
Niagara Region, ON
Day 61:

I've been super busy at work since getting back but I figured I should really wrap up the log for the last day.

Woke up at 8am expecting to have to pack up in the rain but the revised forecast had the precipitation starting at lunch so we lucked out. Breakfast, cleaned up, and packed up the trailer. Said our goodbyes to family and were heading South on Hwy 11 towards Toronto by 9:30am. Hwy 11 merged into Hwy 400 which is a considerably larger highway which runs North from Toronto.
PXL_20220829_153837868.jpg

Bought lunch in Hamilton, soon after we were back in the Niagara region.
PXL_20220829_175857671.jpg

Not much longer and we were home.
PXL_20220829_183319288.jpg

We didn't really take many pictures the last few days, I think mainly because we were back in our usual neck-of-the-woods.

Fuel economy was still pretty good despite having the kid's kayaks on the roof of the trailer and some stop-and-go traffic around Toronto.

Distance travelled: 336 km
Fuel economy: 11.0 l/100km
Solar harvested: 470 Wh

I will update the totals in the first post today and write up some observations and takeaways from the trip when I have a bit of time.

Redbird234

May 27, 2018
GTA
Day 61:

I've been super busy at work since getting back but I figured I should really wrap up the log for the last day.

Woke up at 8am expecting to have to pack up in the rain but the revised forecast had the precipitation starting at lunch so we lucked out. Breakfast, cleaned up, and packed up the trailer. Said our goodbyes to family and were heading South on Hwy 11 towards Toronto by 9:30am. Hwy 11 merged into Hwy 400 which is a considerably larger highway which runs North from Toronto.
View attachment 87611

Bought lunch in Hamilton, soon after we were back in the Niagara region.
View attachment 87612

Not much longer and we were home.
View attachment 87613

We didn't really take many pictures the last few days, I think mainly because we were back in our usual neck-of-the-woods.

Fuel economy was still pretty good despite having the kid's kayaks on the roof of the trailer and some stop-and-go traffic around Toronto.

Distance travelled: 336 km
Fuel economy: 11.0 l/100km
Solar harvested: 470 Wh

I will update the totals in the first post today and write up some observations and takeaways from the trip when I have a bit of time.
I just found this thread as I am in the starting phase of planning a trip out west. Our camper and our van are getting old so we are debating flying out and renting a car and camping but the cost is adding up. You definitely inspired me. Did you budget for the trip and did you stay in that budget? Our last road trip we spent double our budget so I need to plan better this time lol

Patrick w

Aug 13, 2021
I just found this thread as I am in the starting phase of planning a trip out west. Our camper and our van are getting old so we are debating flying out and renting a car and camping but the cost is adding up. You definitely inspired me. Did you budget for the trip and did you stay in that budget? Our last road trip we spent double our budget so I need to plan better this time lol
Depends on "how" you blew your budget. If you decide to eat out more than you planned or have equipment failures then yes... Makes sense.

TSQ

Mar 28, 2021
Niagara Region, ON
I never did post any final thoughts (got super busy back at work) but I'll do that, including some budget info, this weekend.

TSQ

Mar 28, 2021
Niagara Region, ON
Did you budget for the trip and did you stay in that budget? Our last road trip we spent double our budget so I need to plan better this time lol
Note that all costs are in Canadian dollars.

We definitely did not want to go over $15k, based on 60 days on the road ($250/day).

Fuel:

We budgeted for a fuel burn of 12 l/100km based on previous trips around the province. As gas prices were all over the place last summer we budgeted for $2.50 /l. We had mapped out the base route so we knew that it would be ~17,000kms. So 17,000 x 12/100 = 2,040 x 2.50 = $5,100 ($85/day).

In reality we did better. Averaged 10.8 l/100km as reported by the car (or 10.7 calculated) over the trip, likely because when we camp around the province we take bikes & kayaks so less aerodynamic. Also didn't suffer as much (or really at all) in the mountains as we thought we would. The average gas price was only $1.90. We did end up driving a little more but we only spent $3,610.

Propane cost was negligible (less than $1/day)

Food:

We budgeted $40/day based on what we spend at home (two adults, two kids). $40 x 60 days = $2,400

This ended up being about right. We bought more snacks but less meat so it evened out. This does not include any restaurants/takeout/etc.

Campgrounds:

We budgeted $50/night. $50 x 60 days = $3,000.

We spent a bit less than anticipated on campgrounds, likely because we spent ~10 days camped in relative's driveways. We never got powered sites (unless there was no option) so keep that in mind if you want power. We did get an annual Parks Canada pass (which paid for itself many times over). About $2,500 in total.

Extras:

We budgeted a max of $75/day for activities, restaurants, laundry, showers, etc. $75 x 60 days = $4,500

I'd say this ended up being a little high. Some days we would not do anything (that cost extra money), but other days we would be way over (ie: white water rafting). Ended up around $3,000, or ~$50/day.

So in the end we spent ~$12k (about $200/day over 61 days). That includes repairs (three trailer tires + two rims, new tongue jack, new propane hose).

--------

If we had stayed home for those 61 days we would still have had the same food costs ($2,400) and probably about $1,000/month in activity costs with eating out and the kids at camps, etc ($2,000). Would have bought a lot less gas (say 500 l @$1.90 = ~$1000) and we might have gone camping for 10 days over the summer ($50 x 10 days = $500). So about $6,000 for a typical summer.

So in terms of incremental costs it was ~$6k (~$100/day) to do the trip.

Eating out a lot would quickly drive the cost up, as would staying at motels/hotels.