Electric drum brakes adjustment

ilya

Jun 27, 2022
The other day I was checking the bearings for the first time on our 2010 Starcraft 1019. It has a Dexter easy-lube axle. The bearings looked fine, tons of grease, however when I took a look at the brakes, it became apparent that the hubs had never been taken apart. Now, a set of new 7"x1-1/4" electric drum brakes later, I'm wondering how to adjust them. I can hear some drag when I spin the wheels. When I pull the emergency brake switch out, I'm able to turn the 12" wheels with very substantial effort. Do I need to adjust the brake shoes out so that I can't turn the wheels at all when the brakes are energized? Thank you!

1669078079218.jpg

ilya

Jun 27, 2022
Thanks for a quick reply! Follow up question: does pulling out the emergency brake cable with a fully charged battery activate the brakes at 100%? In other words, is it ok to check the brake adjustment by pulling the emergency brake cable, or should I connect the PUP to the TV and use the brake controller to energize the brakes for checking the adjustment?

Snow

Super Active Member
Jul 19, 2007
Ontario
Pulling the pin on the brake-away switch will apply a full 12v to the brakes.

If you want you can plug into the TV and use the controller, just DO NOT pull the pin on the brake-away switch, brake controllers don't like it and often fry themselves.

Grandpa Don

Super Active Member
Sep 5, 2018
Southern California
Yes, adjust the brakes with the star shaft above that little spring. It will be the same on the new brake drum. I use a small flat-blade screw driver to adjust mine. You do it through that little hole with the rubber plug. You have to get under the camper and stick the screw driver through that little slot. Not the easiest thing to do. Turn the screw shaft until the brakes lock up, and then back off a half a tun or so. I think moving the screw driver down with tighten the brake and moving it up will loosen them. I think! You can practice on the old drum. Just make sure the wheel turns freely when done. You still might hear the brake shoe dragging a little, but that's okay. Just make double sure the wheel turns freely. They will most likely require adjusting again after a couple of hundred miles or so. There is supposed to be a break-in procedure for new brake shoes. Just tow the camper around for a mile or so and apply the manual brake control a few times. That will seat the shoes to the new drums. After that jack up the wheel again and double check the adjustment.

I adjusted mine by driving on some loose dirt roads and applying the manual control to the fullest setting. I then got out of the truck and went back to look at the skid marks in the dirt to see if both brakes locked up the wheels. By the way, those wires look pretty bad.

Last edited:

Grandpa Don

Super Active Member
Sep 5, 2018
Southern California
Thanks for a quick reply! Follow up question: does pulling out the emergency brake cable with a fully charged battery activate the brakes at 100%? In other words, is it ok to check the brake adjustment by pulling the emergency brake cable, or should I connect the PUP to the TV and use the brake controller to energize the brakes for checking the adjustment?
Yes, the break-away switch applies full 12 volt of power to the brakes. And no, don't rely on the Break-away switch to make the adjustment. Use the tow vehicle's system.

Sjm9911

Super Active Member
May 31, 2018
Nj
Addtionally, you should drive it around a bit, and then reajust them. As don said, ajust from the rear with a break tool is easiest.