Electrical/lighting question

surlyjoe

Aug 18, 2021
When I turn on the left turn signal in my truck the left tail light on my camper comes on, but when I use the right turn signal all the lights on the camper come on, as if the hazard lights were on. I’ve also noticed that when I turn on the headlights the right tail light does not come on which is not much of a concern since I’m in Alaska and it’s light all summer Anyway, I’m not that familiar with this wiring, is there an easy fix for this?

Raycfe

Waterford Ct.
Oct 3, 2007
Waterford, Ct
You have a bad ground connection ...... the right turn signal is using the taillight/marker circuit for a path to ground. Remove the lens and run a jumper wire from the side of the metal part of the bulb holder to the camper metal frame to troubleshoot. Sometimes cleaning the socket and bulb contacts will solve the problem but do the checking with the wire first.

surlyjoe

Aug 18, 2021
Appreciate everyone's input on this. I finally had a chance to check the ground wire and it looked pretty good but I took it off, cleaned everything up, and reattached but still have the same problem. The trailer connector is 7-pin blade and has an LED display and everything looks good on it even though the wrong lights are coming on. So I assume the problem is not anything to do with the tow vehicle or wiring connection but somewhere in the trailer wiring. Both tail lights have green and black wires - is that typical because most wiring diagrams I can find show different colors for the different sides?