EV+Popup, Hi From WI

Lug_Nut

May 29, 2016
Mt. Wachusett area, MA
I'll disagree, point by point. Fully self driving electric cars are no more necessary than fully self driving petrol powered cars to be equally "practical". A gasoline or diesel, (LP, hydrogen, whatever) vehicle does not need to drive itself to a re-filling location, why electric ones?. Charging cars is more, or rather, CAN BE more practical in high density areas. Hi-rise apartments with assigned parking could have plugs and the access to the power made available by the same pass-key to get into the building. Your power would be an added line item on your rent statement. Downtown parking meters with plugs could not only rent the space by the hour, but for an added fee electric power could be provided, should the person parking opt for re-charging. Cities offer more potential users for less infrastructure costs than low density areas.
I have a one car garage. We have three cars and two campers between us. Plugging in still hasn't been an issue. The small battery in my Volt necessitates plugging in nearly daily. A large capacity battery like the one in the OP's Model X would go for several days allowing alternate charging of a second EV.
Rather than a self driving car (what, like Uber or Lyft, or a taxi or a subway or a bus?) that I also don't have to re-fuel, I'd rather have a self driving camper that empties the black tank then returns to the camp site before I return from sightseeing. Now THAT'S worth the wait.

JankyPLC

Jan 27, 2022
So many things to reply too! Glad to see some interest in the topic and thank you for the generous welcoming!

I do wish Tesla was more open about where power is being used like some OEMs - Ford breaks it down. Apps like TeslaFi help. Looks like our 240v 32 amp home charge efficiency is around 92% plug vs battery stored. Preconditioning can certainly drop that but it’s one of the nicest features of an EV.

In regards to the instant torque, you’re spot on. It’s just an easy way to compare the response of an EVs accelerator pedal to an ICE tow rigs slow response as it builds revs and shifts to get moving or to pass people. (logged many miles towing with a Jeep Liberty, a Dodge Dakota, and a Dodge Dart prior to owning the Model Y).

As far as long distances, I’ll be the first to admit that EV towing works for us but it’s probably the least logical use case for it right now. Much better suited for just about any other use case. Doubly true out west right now with long distances between many chargers. I look forward to infrastructure continuing to improve!

We’re blessed in WI to have pretty good Supercharger coverage. I don’t think there’s anywhere I couldn’t get to and back towing the popup. Out west is a different beast. Could probably get anywhere, with the camper, but routes not ideal, slow charging at times, etc for now. That said we could road trip camp from WI to YellowStone and back exclusively on SuperChargers without issue and more are going in all over every day.

As far as the TT-30 to 14-50 adapter, it works because the Tesla UMC doesn’t care what voltage it sees at the plug so long as the right pins have power and ground.
TT-30 120v hot to 14-50 L1,
TT-30 neutral to 14-50 L2,
UMC doesn’t use the neutral on the 14-50 so I think I left it unconnected,
ground to ground and good to go.
Car sees 120vac at its charge port and I dial back the amperage in the car to the minimum to be charged by leaving day and only charge at night to put as little stress on campground wiring as I can.

Full self driving was already addressed by another poster but I’ll just add that having seen it’s current state, I think we’re quite a few years off yet, and it isn’t at all necessary for EV adoption, though you are right street parking in cities and apartments brings challenges homeowners won’t have. Even if you only have one garage spot, many charging cords can be used outside so a car in the driveway could also charge if alternating charge schedules doesn’t work for your use.

1380ken

Super Active Member
Nov 7, 2013
Mass
I'll disagree, point by point. Fully self driving electric cars are no more necessary than fully self driving petrol powered cars to be equally "practical". A gasoline or diesel, (LP, hydrogen, whatever) vehicle does not need to drive itself to a re-filling location, why electric ones?. Charging cars is more, or rather, CAN BE more practical in high density areas. Hi-rise apartments with assigned parking could have plugs and the access to the power made available by the same pass-key to get into the building. Your power would be an added line item on your rent statement. Downtown parking meters with plugs could not only rent the space by the hour, but for an added fee electric power could be provided, should the person parking opt for re-charging. Cities offer more potential users for less infrastructure costs than low density areas.
I have a one car garage. We have three cars and two campers between us. Plugging in still hasn't been an issue. The small battery in my Volt necessitates plugging in nearly daily. A large capacity battery like the one in the OP's Model X would go for several days allowing alternate charging of a second EV.
Rather than a self driving car (what, like Uber or Lyft, or a taxi or a subway or a bus?) that I also don't have to re-fuel, I'd rather have a self driving camper that empties the black tank then returns to the camp site before I return from sightseeing. Now THAT'S worth the wait.
Whatever, if you think that there are no issues with charging in urban areas. Nothing I say will make a difference.

Groomporter

Jan 30, 2021
Minnesota
Towing a larger trailer is a different ball of wax, for now, obviously. But a number of the arguments against EVs in general are out of date when it comes to the current generation of them. Here's a new look at some of those some of those concerns with references at the end.

Last edited:

Groomporter

Jan 30, 2021
Minnesota
Whatever, if you think that there are no issues with charging in urban areas. Nothing I say will make a difference.
It can be a problem, especially for people have a very long commute, or a lot of driving during the day. But it's getting better all the time, especially in some cities. But for a lot of people, if they plug in every night they always start the next day with a full "tank". So they don't have to use commercial charging stations that often.

Groomporter

Jan 30, 2021
Minnesota
It can be a problem, especially for people have a very long commute, or a lot of driving during the day. But it's getting better all the time, especially in some cities. But for a lot of people, if they plug in every night they always start the next day with a full "tank". So they don't have to use commercial charging stations that often.
Of course it probably also depends on how you define "urban" I'm in the middle of a residential area of inner Minneapolis where the majority of people have off-street parking, if not garages. Whereas if you're someplace where it's all apartment buildings and brownstones an EV is probably a lot less practical for now.

JankyPLC

Jan 27, 2022
Not sure if this thread is the right place to keep updating, but took another trip this past weekend to Devils Lake State Park. New numbers to add for reference are interstate towing at 74 mph we averaged 510 wh/Mi.

Got to Supercharge with the camper and twice we’re able to stop without unhitching, blocked 3 chargers though. Once had to unhitch as the end spots weren’t open. Pretty quick process for us, but still annoying. Looking forward to nose in or pull through spots becoming a thing some day.

0743306B-C400-401D-A12F-11619D196B5A.jpeg

Also since a few asked, I snapped a pic of my power splitter. TT-30 in to 14-50 and TT-30 out. We back the current down on the car so we don’t place excess stress on the campground wiring as many are underpowered the way they share breakers.
599BBA3B-77E1-4E74-967B-DC1125A76DF2.jpeg

Oh and of course, if you’re in the Midwest and haven’t been, I highly recommend checking out Devils Lake State Park. Beautiful hiking along bluffs that surround a lake.