Everyone Needs a Spotter

Susan Premo

Super Active Member
Nov 5, 2020
Minnesota
Most couples, families all have cell phone...... Just call the driver and talk to them while they back up then being seen not an issue and can understand each other without yelling.... I'm glad me and the wife both have an understanding on how to guide and back up a trailer we both take turns to stay sharp :) it's so fun watching others :)
You'd be watching us!

friartuck

Super Active Member
Nov 1, 2007
Perry, MI
Watching another couple trying to back in a big 5er into a just barely big enough site with the wife yelling "Cut the wheel! Cut the wheel!" without saying which way to 'cut the wheel' and hubby, leaning out the window to try and see her, yelling back "which way?" Good times, good times.
As side note our new TV has the 'I'm to dumb to back my trailer up' knob. DW sniggers and claims she'll never use it! (she backs the trailer in anyway because she is better at it then myself. More power to ya babe!)

PopAnimal

Oct 26, 2022
Southern New Mexico
Most of my trips, I'd be flying solo or with someone who doesn't understand the advanced algebreic physics of backing a trailer, or backing to one. I'm getting better but the flag/tennisball cheaters are the way i'm going as well as landscaping markers for backing. Yes total newbie who will make 28 point turns but I can live with that. A lot quieter and prevents talking to strangers. Kinda the reason to be "out there".

jmkay1

2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Oct 10, 2013
Northern Virginia
Most of my trips, I'd be flying solo
Most of my trips I fly solo or with a kiddo for company. So I learned real quick how to back by myself that honestly if someone was to help I kind of tune them out anyway. It's actually difficult to comprehend what someone is telling you and incorporate into backing vrs you going by look, feel and experience. I dread backing up at night as I lose a lot of visual cues I used to rely on, so often have to have help.

PopAnimal

Oct 26, 2022
Southern New Mexico
Most of my trips I fly solo or with a kiddo for company. So I learned real quick how to back by myself that honestly if someone was to help I kind of tune them out anyway. It's actually difficult to comprehend what someone is telling you and incorporate into backing vrs you going by look, feel and experience. I dread backing up at night as I lose a lot of visual cues I used to rely on, so often have to have help
Think if I were hook/back up at night, i would light the area with glow sticks after i did a light up the area check.

neighbormike

Super Active Member
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 6, 2012
WI
Night time backing doesn’t bother me… RAIN on the other hand… I never can manage to see through wet windows & mirrors! I manage, but definitely not my finest backing!

rickthecabbie

Jun 27, 2018
I mounted a GoPro to the front of our trailer. It connects via bluetooth directly to my phone. I also have a backup cam in our tow vehicle that can see the hitch. Now it only takes me 7 or 8 tries to hook up. 😆 just kidding, it only takes 1 or 2 runs at it. I put another mount on back of the trailer so I have no issue at all when they only have "back in" spots available.

PaThacker

Super Active Member
Feb 11, 2010
Poconos
I had to do blind side 90 degree snake wiggle a 53ft trailer and sleeper cab tractor today in Stamford Connecticut 100 % city environment. Dock from hell. No NYC dock is as bad as this dock. Cop there laughing as I had to stop and rebuild air lines.

Susan Premo

Super Active Member
Nov 5, 2020
Minnesota
Oh geez, I have an awful lot of respect for what you had to accomplish! I don't know how truckers make some of those turns, especially in the cities with all the damn traffic.

PaThacker

Super Active Member
Feb 11, 2010
Poconos
Oh geez, I have an awful lot of respect for what you had to accomplish! I don't know how truckers make some of those turns, especially in the cities with all the damn traffic.
Cars drive onto sidewalks in front of truck and back of trailer. Oblivious to my blind backing 75 foot combo

Susan Premo

Super Active Member
Nov 5, 2020
Minnesota
Cars drive onto sidewalks in front of truck and back of trailer. Oblivious to my blind backing 75 foot combo
I'm very aware of what you guys go through, I always stay way back, try my best to give you all plenty of room. I heard about this problem somewhere before so I try and keep it in mind, when we're on a specific highway in our area my husband moves to the opposite lane to let semis go through.

Latest posts