Everything else so expensive

modeler

Apr 6, 2021
Popup is the cheapest cost choice, Everything else so expensive. But I am looking for upgrade to a more travel-oriented solution - every time my popup take me 1 hour to fully setup, and last time it wouldn't crank up, LOL.

I want something easy to tow, can sleep 2-4, and require little time to setup; in my priority list:
Easy tow-> Sleep 2/4-> easy to use / no setup.

When I do my research I realize everything now is hitting $20k price mark and in Canada everything getting to $30k mark new, except very few tear drop "bed-trailer" still ask for close to $10k new, LOL.

And all the smallest trailer seems ask for money because they come equipped with gadget, which add cost and weight. Radio/speaker/tv/AC/Micro/indoor kitchen are so useless.

Any simple cheap barebone travel trailer still there?
I need 4 beds space -> indoor toilet -> out door bbq/stove, and that's it.
I prefer have no fridge, coz I can easily use portable car fridge, no AC needed in Canada camping, and not even water system needed I can easily fit a bucket+pump system beside stove outdoor, that's it.

Dave2514g

Sep 2, 2019
Ontario, Canada
I would just be patient for a while. I expect the prices to drop off at some point for RVs. RV sales have started to taper off, and that should help the used market cool down too. I had planned to upgrade to a travel trailer from our tent trailer by now, but I'm holding off in hopes of better affordability before I do

Sjm9911

Super Active Member
May 31, 2018
Nj
Take your time and look around, i am sure stuff will hit the market after this season is over. The right camper will find you. You just need to keep looking.

Oldspurs

Jan 2, 2022
Central Texas
Cargo trailer and some disc-o-bed bunk cots.
I agree, just build your own out of a cargo trailer. There are so many builds are on U-Tube. Look at them, build what you want. Might save you money. Of course a guy here in town built one 2 years ago out of a twin axle cargo trailer. It was bare bones, pretty cool build, and he only spent 13,500 US dollars. It had windows on each side, walk in door on the curbside, caset toilet, 4 swing away bunks, cozy. Good luck with your new endeavor. See you on the trail.

neighbormike

Super Active Member
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 6, 2012
WI
Cargo trailer and some disc-o-bed bunk cots.
This was going to be my response! And in my opinion (around here, anyway) popups aren’t much cheaper (if at all) than a lot of small hard-side units.

heathdavis

May 15, 2011
We have been shopping around for a lightweight "Dark Side" camper so I may have some ideas.

But first of all, what are your bed requirements? Do you need four separate beds, two doubles, or one double plus two singles?
And what's your upper limit on price?

modeler

Apr 6, 2021
We have been shopping around for a lightweight "Dark Side" camper so I may have some ideas.

But first of all, what are your bed requirements? Do you need four separate beds, two doubles, or one double plus two singles?
And what's your upper limit on price?
any bed set up is fine, convertible bed or double bed, bunk, doesn't matter.

Sjm9911

Super Active Member
May 31, 2018
Nj
I would look for something with a floor plan like this, obviously look gor used if price is a consideration. Plenty of manafatures making this type of floor plan. Eaither that or a hybrid.

Sjm9911

Super Active Member
May 31, 2018
Nj
One of the problems you have now is the covid pricing due to not fining workers , supply issues and the demand for the campers. Before covid you could have found something used, really nice for 10k. Now its a lot harder.

Sjm9911

Super Active Member
May 31, 2018
Nj
Also, hard to find sleeping for 4 on that small of a weight limit. The one I showed maxes at 3500. So, its in your range.

modeler

Apr 6, 2021
I would look for something with a floor plan like this, obviously look gor used if price is a consideration. Plenty of manafatures making this type of floor plan. Eaither that or a hybrid.
yeah, this is the kind I know of, just need to wait for covid over.
Or maybe get smaller r-pod like that has convertible beds, instead of bunk, so like sleep 2-4. this is even better to sleep 4-5

heathdavis

May 15, 2011
Is the presence of an indoor kitchen a deal-breaker? I'm with you on wishing the manufacturers wouldn't impose TV's, stereos, and other extra stuff on the buyer . It seems anything that sleeps more than two comes with mandatory frills. And personally I prefer to keep my cooking messes outside but my husband wants an indoor kitchen-- mainly for cold or rainy days. (If we get a TT I still plan on using the Coleman propane stove outside for most cooking.)

If you can tolerate an indoor kitchen, you might look at the Braxton Creek Free Solo Plus-- "FAM" or "DIN" floor plans. These are basically large teardrop campers. Dry weight about 2400 lbs, GVWR about 3400. The FAM has a double bed and two bunks. The DIN has 2 doubles. We looked at these. List price is up in the $20 thousands but from what we could tell, you can get them for less, even new. (like say, $18,000) It was a nice looking camper but my husband is a big guy and felt it was too cramped for him. Video:

More expensive but also lightweight and sleep four: The Rockwood GeoPro and Flagstaff E-Pro. They are twins, both made by Forest River. Although they have indoor kitchens, they also have an outside griddle setup (and small outdoor fridge). We are considering the Rockwood GeoPro 16BH. (GVWR = 3290 lb) You could maybe look for a used one to save $$.

Also in my searching, I ran across some teardrop camper manufacturers who will build the interior to your specs, but I don't know about prices there.

Arruba

Super Active Member
Gold Supporting Member
Nov 28, 2014
Central Oregon
I vote DYI in a cargo trailer too if your handy. Though brand new, cargo trailers aren’t cheap either, at least around here. Every now and then I check in on the Cheap RV Living YouTube channel. A review or two on there of trailer conversions the owners thought that for the materials and time required they may have gotten a store bought, I’ll guess that mean used, trailer for the same or less.

All that typed aside, as your build needs are minimal, I’d be hard pressed to see how the proposed DYI ideas wouldn’t be a lower cost option.

Good luck with your search.

Mark60

Aug 23, 2020
TN
I don’t think prices will come down soon in the RV world. I noticed that motel prices in most tourist areas have doubled, I think this will keep the RV market alive for awhile. Prices around here are at 12,000-20,000 on the used market for a late model and around 6,000-10,000 for an older model. The Coleman Lantern seems to be the cheapest entry level camper with advertised payments of 150.00 a month or 15,000 to 18,000 purchased.