Everything reeks of dryer sheets

tombiasi

Super Active Member
Sep 1, 2012
Northwestern New Jersey
I throw an unwrapped bar of Irish Spring soap in there- smells nice and not too strong.
Check this. There are many like it online.

Orchid

Sharp Shootin' Grandma
May 8, 2011
Florida by way of WV and MD
Google gave me this advice -

"A laundry room that has housed scented dryer sheets for a while can retain that smell even after the dryer sheets are removed. Eliminate that scent from the air by placing small bowls of white vinegar throughout the room and leaving them overnight. Alternatively, you can sprinkle baking soda, which absorbs odors, throughout the room onto areas that can be vacuumed easily. Leave the baking soda in place for a day before vacuuming."

The entire situation sounds like a nightmare to me. I have asthma and am so sensitive to pretty much any smell that there is no way I could even stay inside, even if it's a "pleasant" odor.

I don't think dryer sheets, or anything else, really repel mice. I think you've just been very lucky. If I had to store a camper for the winter, I would take a couple of steps, like the light test, and plugging every nook and cranny you can see coming through when it's dark.

Secondly, I'd remove every single soft surface and store inside somewhere, including the canvas. Sounds extreme, but I'm one of those people does everything to the extreme. LOL

jmkay1

2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Oct 10, 2013
Northern Virginia
Im with popupSteve in the winter i take anything that can be used as nesting material out of the camper, I take all soap, spray, suntan lotion cosmetics, etc out. Absolutely nothing food related or even scented. I will give the entire camper a deep clean so not a crumb could be found or spilled whatever. I don’t even use scented cleaners. I then go through the camper to ensure all holes are sealed / closed up. If light shows through it gets stuffed with steel wool. thankfully outside of stink bugs (I mean how the heck do they always find a way in is beyond me) I never had A problem With anything larger And don’t have to worry about my camper smelling of anything other. If you park your camper in grass make sure you keep it trimmed very well and make sure you don’t have anything leaning against the camper. if you follow those rules you shouldn’t have to use those other “tricks” To keep mice out. Grant you it’s a world class pain to take everything out much less finding room in your house to store it and then having to put everything back come spring and restock everything again But it sure beats the alternative. Sorry cant help with the smell issue most smells I find go away if the camper is left open for as long as possible letting the sun and wind chase it away. Fabric is the worst about holding smells so keeping cushions out in the sun would probably help a Lot.

jwarren02

May 30, 2022
Okay, I have been using dryer sheets in my pop up for the last few winters when I put it away to keep the mice away. It works great and I have never had a mouse problem. However every spring when I open it up, the camper and everything in it reeks of dryer sheets. The smell permeates everything in the camper including all our plastic cookware, bowls, cups and water tanks. When we cook something or drink water, it always tastes like dryer sheets. [XX(] Does anyone have any tips to get rid of the smell?
Get bag of regular charcoal. Use pasteboard boxes or aluminum pans about 9x11 size. Pour flat layer of charcoal in each. Let sit couple days. If you put 4 out absorbs faster but 2 will do. Tah Dah!!! Odor gone plus you can still use the charcoal.

Popeye1959

Apr 28, 2016
NE Illinois
Okay, I have been using dryer sheets in my pop up for the last few winters when I put it away to keep the mice away. It works great and I have never had a mouse problem. However every spring when I open it up, the camper and everything in it reeks of dryer sheets. The smell permeates everything in the camper including all our plastic cookware, bowls, cups and water tanks. When we cook something or drink water, it always tastes like dryer sheets. [XX(] Does anyone have any tips to get rid of the smell?
Don't use them. I used to rehab houses and can't count the number of mice and rat nests we found made from dryer sheets. Used, new, they don't care. All the dryer sheets do is make their fur soft, static-free and smell nice. Bars of soap don't deter them either. People that say they use dryer sheets and have no mice, weren't going to have mice in the first place.

mcgillclan4

May 21, 2020
Seattle, WA
I made a similar mistake my first winter except I used moth balls! Yuck! I was so paranoid about mice damage. I did it all! Dryer sheets, moth balls, soap, steel wool…

Thankfully I had gutted the thing, removing my cushions and mattress toppers and pretty much everything else like dishes etc. It was truly empty. But it took a good few weeks of it airing out in my driveway.

I was so pissed at myself! I think I remember spraying vinegar or diluted vinegar solution in every drawer and letting it dry and washing every inch as thoroughly as I could. The mattresses themselves I washed the covers and sprayed the actual foam with vinegar as well and let it dry for several days in the hot sun on my deck.

I filled the place with sprinkled on baking soda and even open containers of powdered activated charcoal. The thing that helped replace the smell the best after it was really clean and vinegary was coffee beans. I had little open bags of coffee beans everywhere for awhile.

The next year, we got two indoor/outdoor cats that are excellent mousers. Problem solved.

Wrenchgear

5 Star Eagle Camper
Aug 5, 2010
Near Elmira, Southern Ontario
Keep the mice out in the first place.

As I have said many times before, seal up all entry points and you don’t have to worry. Quite a few years ago, on a warm sunny day, I laid underneath the Pup with a caulking gun of silicone and a bright light. I spent an hour under there looking at every corner, seam, area where a wire or propane line goes through the floor, and every place else that looked suspicious. Also around the plastic inner fenders and such. I pumped every opening full of silicone, including even the smallest cracks just to make sure.

I have screens behind my fridge vents to keep bees (and mice) out. I made a cover that very easily goes on over the furnace exhaust, again for the bees.

I also make sure that the seal between the roof and the top of the walls contacts snugly all the way around when the roof is closed.

When I park it for the winter, I take out all food, and vacuum the corners and under the dinette seats. I do nothing more. No dryer sheets, No mothballs, No Irish Spring soap (none of those work anyway, youtube is full of people debunking them), No traps inside, No glue boards inside, No nothing. It’s best to keep the mice out in the first place. Mice aren’t a concern for me at all. I live in a country setting where mice run around here all year long. I do have unbaited snap traps set up at strategic spots around my property. I don’t want to attract mice to those areas, so the traps are unbaited. If a mouse runs behind an area where a trap is, he’ll run right into it. That’s the first line of defense. I know that others have continuously struggled with mice over the years, but so far so good for me, (12 years so far), (knock on wood).

I don't know who ever came up with the whole dryer sheet business for preventing mice. What makes anyone think a dryer sheet deters a mouse? Why should it bother a mouse? Mice are disgusting little rodents that have nasty habits. They pi$$ and crap in their own bedding, eat their young, eat other dead mice that are in traps, and probably don't take showers on a regular basis, (but I'm only guessing on that one). What is there about a flowery smelling dryer sheet that is supposed to keep them away?

DL Webber

Apr 20, 2022
I am in Canada. Is there anyone from Canada know what I could buy that is similar to fresh cab botanical rodent repellent? It seems this is not allowed in Canada (based on my google searches) and it would probably get stopped at the border if I ordered it from the USA. Unless I can get it to cross the border as I have heard good things about this product.

Last edited:

Dingit

Super Active Member
Mar 8, 2017
I store my popup with the travel door wide open. It stays aired out that way.

1380ken

Super Active Member
Nov 7, 2013
Mass
I made a similar mistake my first winter except I used moth balls! Yuck! I was so paranoid about mice damage. I did it all! Dryer sheets, moth balls, soap, steel wool…

Thankfully I had gutted the thing, removing my cushions and mattress toppers and pretty much everything else like dishes etc. It was truly empty. But it took a good few weeks of it airing out in my driveway.

I was so pissed at myself! I think I remember spraying vinegar or diluted vinegar solution in every drawer and letting it dry and washing every inch as thoroughly as I could. The mattresses themselves I washed the covers and sprayed the actual foam with vinegar as well and let it dry for several days in the hot sun on my deck.

I filled the place with sprinkled on baking soda and even open containers of powdered activated charcoal. The thing that helped replace the smell the best after it was really clean and vinegary was coffee beans. I had little open bags of coffee beans everywhere for awhile.

The next year, we got two indoor/outdoor cats that are excellent mousers. Problem solved.
The previous owner of my camper put moth balls in it. It was almost unbearable for the first couple of years. I did everything to clean out the smell. 11 years later and I still get a faint smell of mothballs when I first open the camper.