Favourite Pop up mods

Canoe2fish

Apr 14, 2014
Ontario, Canada
Researching and planning on gutting and making our pop up DW approved, I found some dandy pics of pop up Reno’s and Mods.

Feel free to post pics of the favourite Reno’s or mods you have done, or pic finds.

Fireplace in this one is something I’ve never seen. Love the solid wood counters on white cabs too. Classy & nice couples set up.

Boom chicka wa wa…

Attachments

• 7B0B6E95-3FC4-492E-A738-6A171BF4CADF.jpeg
    7B0B6E95-3FC4-492E-A738-6A171BF4CADF.jpeg
    207.8 KB · Views: 162

jmkay1

2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Oct 10, 2013
Northern Virginia
Wow, Id be afraid to use the camper for that fancy picture you found. The only thing I want to mention is be careful with weight. For instance solid wood could weigh quite a bit more than the cheap cabinets, that you could max out your existing axel. Then make sure the weight distribution is correct too especially if you plan on towing it. Now if I was to make a mod I would want to add a removable cupboard. haven’t done it myself because I hate anything that adds to my setup time. Not to mention when closed I dont have that aisle. But a place to hang a jacket or even drawers to put clothes. Biggest Problem of my popup is no place for clothes that are easily accessible.

Canoe2fish

Apr 14, 2014
Ontario, Canada
Wow, Id be afraid to use the camper for that fancy picture you found. The only thing I want to mention is be careful with weight. For instance solid wood could weigh quite a bit more than the cheap cabinets, that you could max out your existing axel. Then make sure the weight distribution is correct too especially if you plan on towing it. Now if I was to make a mod I would want to add a removable cupboard. haven’t done it myself because I hate anything that adds to my setup time. Not to mention when closed I dont have that aisle. But a place to hang a jacket or even drawers to put clothes. Biggest Problem of my popup is no place for clothes that are easily accessible.
Good point - agreed with weight, my Coleman only had a 1750 lb axle in it which I was close to overloading just with gear, 12v batt and a 2nd bbq tank.

I replaced it with a 2200 lb axle to match my new tire capacity of 1100 lb each so I could carry more gear (heavy canoe and bikes at the time)

If I go through with this makeover I will swap it out again for a 3500lb axle as my mods list (if I carry out fully) will put me into the 2500lb zone fully equipped or look for a better candidate for the build

EDIT Oops I somehow replied to a second post I put here - see below

And following modern kitchen trends. Like the nautical colours

Attachments

• E4C7C536-2226-48D5-8EA1-2F26EA32022D.jpeg
    E4C7C536-2226-48D5-8EA1-2F26EA32022D.jpeg
    187.2 KB · Views: 86

Mark CASTELLANI

Aug 23, 2019
New York State, Erie County
Researching and planning on gutting and making our pop up DW approved, I found some dandy pics of pop up Reno’s and Mods.

Feel free to post pics of the favourite Reno’s or mods you have done, or pic finds.

Fireplace in this one is something I’ve never seen. Love the solid wood counters on white cabs too. Classy & nice couples set up.

Boom chicka wa wa…
i "second" @jmkay1 .... WOW!!... now THAT'S "Glamping"!!

a former colleague has plans on buying and renovating PUPs in that vein and her plans are to rent them out for "romantic get-a-way" weekends ... last I heard, she has only completed one, so far.

me [and DW] on the other hand, lean towards the "practical" so our "Favorite MODS" have been the following: [not in any particular order]
  • Radial Tires
  • 30# propane tank
  • LED lights
  • PUGS
  • Reflectixs for the windows
  • Foam Matts & "reflective foil" under the bunk-end mattresses
gotta tell ya, DW is my PERFECT "soul mate" when it comes to camping [and in other way, as well]... she is NOT a "Froo-Froo"... though, she DID get a set of remote controlled "twinkle lights" for hanging off the awning

twinkle lights 02.jpg
I was, like.... Whaaa?!?, COME ON!!! ... but, ya know what?... they sure do come in handy when "nature calls" in the middle of the night!!... just "flip a switch" before going out...so, maybe, THAT's my "favorite mod"

Happy Trails!

PS: I've been thinking about attaching "tarp skirts" to hang under the bunks, outside. After all these years of tarping equipment under the bunks, it recently dawned on me that if I attach some heavy-duty Velcro around the edges of the bunks, cut to fit some tarps to drape, lay a ground-cloth keep stuff off the dirt, it would serve dual purpose. Not only would I no longer have to tarp up equipment but, it would also prevent the cold air breeze from under the bunks, when deployed.... hmmm... that's what happens to my mind when enduring these "camping-less" winter months... I get to thinking... a dear friend used to tell me... "Mark, your brain is a very scary place... you should never go in there, alone" 😁😁

Last edited:

Mark CASTELLANI

Aug 23, 2019
New York State, Erie County
PS: I've been thinking about attaching "tarp skirts" to hang under the bunks, outside. After all these years of tarping equipment under the bunks, it recently dawned on me that if I attach some heavy-duty Velcro around the edges of the bunks, cut to fit some tarps to drape, lay a ground-cloth keep stuff off the dirt, it would serve dual purpose. Not only would I no longer have to tarp up equipment but, it would also prevent the cold air breeze from under the bunks, when deployed.... hmmm... that's what happens to my mind when enduring these "camping-less" winter months... I get to thinking... a dear friend used to tell me... "Mark, your brain is a very scary place... you should never go in there, alone" 😁😁
hmmm... the Velcro, for the skirt, would have to attach to the outside of the canvas 'cause the canvas wraps under the bunk... now I'm not sure that my "thinking" is a good idea.. see what I mean about "my thinking"? LOL

Happy Trails!

I also really like the cream white cabinets and wood. I rediid ours, the cosmetics, and Alan did the wheels, fat radial tires, battery, charging station, added another outlet, tube on back for poles. Here's our pop up story, we spent a lot of time over the 4 years we had it, then went to hybrid, and sold it last year, back to tenting. Loved the feel of the rehabbed pop-up, clean, light and bright, really a cheery pup. Details and photos: https://legalectric.org/weblog/15644/

Sep 4, 2021

a former colleague has plans on buying and renovating PUPs in that vein and her plans are to rent them out for "romantic get-a-way" weekends ... last I heard, she has only completed one, so far.

me [and DW] on the other hand, lean towards the "practical" so our "Favorite MODS" have been the following: [not in any particular order]
  • Radial Tires
  • 30# propane tank
  • LED lights
  • PUGS
gotta tell ya, DW is my PERFECT "soul mate" when it comes to camping [and in other way, as well]... she is NOT a "Froo-Froo"... though, she DID get a set of remote controlled "twinkle lights" for hanging off the awning

View attachment 89241
I was, like.... Whaaa?!?, COME ON!!! ... but, ya know what?... they sure do come in handy when "nature calls" in the middle of the night!!... just "flip a switch" before going out...so, maybe, THAT's my "favorite mod"

Happy Trails!

I love that tarp skirt idea. I'm going to figure out how to do that. There is so much unused space beneath the bunks that could be utilized if kept dry and away from the elements.

Mistold

May 17, 2021
North East TX
Sounds like a great idea actually. You could iron on the velcro to the part of the canvas that attaches to the bunk frame. What might be better would be to use snaps and attach under the bunk close to the edge. Screw the base of the snap into the underside of the bunk then the other side into the tarp. Then it would attach inside and under by an inch or two which would also keep rain or whatever from running down in between the tarp and canvas. Hopefully this made sense. It does in my head haha We must have equally dangerous minds!

Crap now I have another project to add to my list that will probably not get done haha
hmmm... the Velcro, for the skirt, would have to attach to the outside of the canvas 'cause the canvas wraps under the bunk... now I'm not sure that my "thinking" is a good idea.. see what I mean about "my thinking"? LOL

Happy Trails!

goose10202

Jan 9, 2017
Hey Guys, I love this topic as I’ve remodeled a couple of pop ups. For the countertops, I’ve had fun with the Giani Granite kits https://gianigranite.com/, I also added USB charging ports and digital voltage meter. On one particular camper, I installed LED lights up at the ceiling just behind the valence curtain on both sides of the roof. What an effect that made at night. Kids loved it. Also added a strip of LED’s underneath the frame of the camper outside to illuminate the step at the door. If you have a manual water pump, converting that to an electric pump is nice. Once, I bought at the hardware store a fridge ice maker hose kit, the copper tubing kit and kept the tubing all coiled up but attached a vinyl tube to one end with a diverted valve that would attach to the faucet. Lay the coil onto the stove and a pan on top of that and the other end of the copper tube pointed up and down into the pan. Light the burner and trickle water through and you’ll have instant hot water.

Those are just some of the mods I’ve made along with simple replace all bulbs to LED’s and such. I do like the fireplace idea mentioned here.

kitphantom

Super Active Member
Platinum Supporting Member
Dec 26, 2009
Albuquerque, NM
I made bunk end skirts for both of our popups.
Forst set was cotton canvas, with sewn on Vlecro, Velcro stapled to the under side of the bunk end. It did help to have a place out of the weather to put chairs and such, but with that tiny pup, there really wasn't much space, and it wasn't completely weatherproof. In a heavy rain we got water splashing under the bunk. I originally used lengths of pip for weight in the bottom hems. but in the wind, that made them swing more not less. With the variations in campsite ground topography, they didn't always hit the ground, or dragged.
With the second popup, I tired to hang bunk end skirts, made of Sungrella, with shock cord. That was a huge fail, they were just too heavy for the cord. While it did help to have less air under the bunk, it was just not enough to bother trying to remedy the hanging problem. We did use the space under the back bunk for hanging towels and the like, which was very handy; we used the shock cord originally planned for the bunk end skirt.

Mistold

May 17, 2021
North East TX
I made bunk end skirts for both of our popups.
Forst set was cotton canvas, with sewn on Vlecro, Velcro stapled to the under side of the bunk end. It did help to have a place out of the weather to put chairs and such, but with that tiny pup, there really wasn't much space, and it wasn't completely weatherproof. In a heavy rain we got water splashing under the bunk. I originally used lengths of pip for weight in the bottom hems. but in the wind, that made them swing more not less. With the variations in campsite ground topography, they didn't always hit the ground, or dragged.
With the second popup, I tired to hang bunk end skirts, made of Sungrella, with shock cord. That was a huge fail, they were just too heavy for the cord. While it did help to have less air under the bunk, it was just not enough to bother trying to remedy the hanging problem. We did use the space under the back bunk for hanging towels and the like, which was very handy; we used the shock cord originally planned for the bunk end skirt.
Good to know! Def wouldnt be water proof but gives some cover. Never heard of that material but looked it up. I could see how it would get heavy but def would have been a more finished look than tarps.

Sep 4, 2021
Sounds like a great idea actually. You could iron on the velcro to the part of the canvas that attaches to the bunk frame. What might be better would be to use snaps and attach under the bunk close to the edge. Screw the base of the snap into the underside of the bunk then the other side into the tarp. Then it would attach inside and under by an inch or two which would also keep rain or whatever from running down in between the tarp and canvas. Hopefully this made sense. It does in my head haha We must have equally dangerous minds!

Crap now I have another project to add to my list that will probably not get done haha
@Mistold the snaps would be perfect. Turn a couple inches of the tarp material under for weather blockage. Then let the tarp hang long enough that you can turn it under. Even hang a few "D" rings on it for guy lines so it doesn't get wind blown. If done properly it can act as a sort of tented area that can be very useful.

Mistold

May 17, 2021
North East TX
@Mistold the snaps would be perfect. Turn a couple inches of the tarp material under for weather blockage. Then let the tarp hang long enough that you can turn it under. Even hang a few "D" rings on it for guy lines so it doesn't get wind blown. If done properly it can act as a sort of tented area that can be very useful.
Love it! Lets see who gets around to doing it first lol I wont be doing any PUP projects atleast till March or so. So man others plus busy and work. lol It never ends but it makes those camping trips so much more worth it!

Canoe2fish

Apr 14, 2014
Ontario, Canada

• Radial Tires
  • 30# propane tank
  • LED lights
  • PUGS

View attachment 89241
I was, like.... Whaaa?!?, COME ON!!! ... but, ya know what?... they sure do come in handy when "nature calls" in the middle of the night!!...

I’d say it is in the glamping zone.
The wife long ago lost her taste for the pup and preferred cottage rentals and a seasonal trailer we purchased.

It’s going to take “work” to get her to like travel camping again and I’d rather spend some time and money on doing up our pup or another candidate to give her something wants to spend time in as opposed to going to a much much higher expenditure. (Due to our daily driver needs combined with our travel camping wants, the choices are loaded Pup or Motorhome. I don’t want the step up to MH until retirement or just before it. Nothing in between works for us)

And after renovating our entire home, I need a new project to do. Could be a win-win or a win-sale but I’m going to really enjoy the process and hope for the best.

And I guess we do have champagne tastes. I want airstream quality and she wants the Mercedes’ C class. But I want to keep a beer pocketbook.

PS great mods and I really like your jar lights. Great idea on skirts too

Canoe2fish

Apr 14, 2014
Ontario, Canada
I'm more with @Mark CASTELLANI in that i tend to value practicality over glam. Unfortunately, DW doesn't share that opinion. After we bought our Pup she made all new cushions and curtains then invested considerable sums of $$$ in new bedding and other assorted do-dads.

I prefer happy wife, happy wife. I do appreciate practicality regarding costs but will spend the bucks if the returns are there. (Returns aren’t always financial)

Canoe2fish

Apr 14, 2014
Ontario, Canada
Hey Guys, I love this topic as I’ve remodeled a couple of pop ups. For the countertops, I’ve had fun with the Giani Granite kits https://gianigranite.com/, I also added USB charging ports and digital voltage meter. On one particular camper, I installed LED lights up at the ceiling just behind the valence curtain on both sides of the roof. What an effect that made at night. Kids loved it. Also added a strip of LED’s underneath the frame of the camper outside to illuminate the step at the door. If you have a manual water pump, converting that to an electric pump is nice. Once, I bought at the hardware store a fridge ice maker hose kit, the copper tubing kit and kept the tubing all coiled up but attached a vinyl tube to one end with a diverted valve that would attach to the faucet. Lay the coil onto the stove and a pan on top of that and the other end of the copper tube pointed up and down into the pan. Light the burner and trickle water through and you’ll have instant hot water.

Those are just some of the mods I’ve made along with simple replace all bulbs to LED’s and such. I do like the fireplace idea mentioned here.
Great ideas.
I’ll be removing the interior kitchen entirely but a now I’m thinking small bar cabinet with coffee maker and ice machine for when we have an electric site.