For those campers who log their trips and site numbers :)

campagain

Jun 24, 2017
My camping influence comes from my father. He took us to a bunch of places when I was a boy, all of the way up into my late teens.

I've been trying my best to continue the trend, and am being pretty successful so far. My father is 79, and today, he surprises me with pics taken from his "camping log", where he made notes of where we stayed, and when.

I've been doing the same, to the best of my ability, but wondered if anyone else does this? The place that we were just at this weekend, he confirmed that we'd visited in 1972, 1973, and 1977 :)

Oldspurs

Jan 2, 2022
Central Texas
We did not write down for record, where and when we camped as younger people. However we were introduced to keeping a camp log several years ago. We do camp log today. Great idea. See you on the trail.

MileHigh

Jul 18, 2012
Denver
Since most of my camping is now by reservation, I can login to recreation.gov or what ever site I used and look up past reservations and site numbers. I try and walk the campsites and make a note of which ones are best for the next time. I save my map and highlight the best ones.

no Fries

Mar 25, 2013
Fort Mill
We have a camping log book we bought. Lots of info to fill out on two pages, weather, site info, dislikes, etc

When I was a kid in the 70's we took a 24' Terry camper from Toledo OH to California and back (38 days) out there we took the Northern "loop" and returned on the southern "loop". We had a map of the US that was about 6 feet long on the wall and had a push pin at all the stops we made.

kcsa75

Super Active Member
Gold Supporting Member
Sep 9, 2013
Kansas City
I've been keeping a log of all our camping trips for several years now in an Excel spreadsheet. I log date, campground, site number and cost. I'll also note anything out of the ordinary and occasionally attach a photo.

Jimbow

Super Active Member
Silver Supporting Member
Nov 30, 2012
There are plenty of RV log books for sale on Amazon. I picked one up for this summers trip. I'll probably create my own next.

jmkay1

2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Oct 10, 2013
Northern Virginia
I kept a binder and a fillable form of where I camped, amenities of the park/campground, best sites etc. my problem I very rarely carried a pen on me and well got lazy when I got home. When I was keeping it up it came in handy to reference especially best sites and my last site#. I sometime wrote a journal to go with it. I still have it, but haven't updated it in awhile. I just bought a small pocket sized book so I don't have to lug my binder but still face my same issues as before.

Wakita46

Mar 15, 2013
I took the GPS coordinates of the exact campsite. I can now use the coordinates to find it on google earth and zoom in on a satellite view of the campsite. It's interesting to see it in relation to parks, lakes, rivers, gorges, etc.

campagain

Jun 24, 2017
I took the GPS coordinates of the exact campsite. I can now use the coordinates to find it on google earth and zoom in on a satellite view of the campsite. It's interesting to see it in relation to parks, lakes, rivers, gorges, etc.
What happens when an EMP pulse takes all of that out? (kidding)

kitphantom

Super Active Member
Platinum Supporting Member
Dec 26, 2009
Albuquerque, NM
I made camping log pages decades ago, but we seldom fill those out anymore. If we're in a campground that we think we'll be using again, we walk the loop(s) and make notes. If we have a campground map, we make them on it. We've been doing this long enough that some of our notes no longer apply, as campgrounds have been updated, renumbered and so on. One USFS we used to go to in NM actually moved the loops to a different area, in effect, it's a different campground now. The campsite we remember so vividly in Watchman CG at Zion, where we floated on our Therm-a-rests inside the tent in a huge puddle was lost in the building of the current visitor center and re-vamping of that section of the campground.
My husband always takes a photo of each campsite, but they aren't indexed. He also keeps a journal of sorts. We keep thinking we'll spend time over the winter going through those and making a database of when we went where, where we camped, and what hikes he/we did. After 32 years, we still remember a majority of destinations, not always the details.
Sometimes, we make more specific notes. When we were at North Rim of Grand Canyon last fall, we knew that I'd be pulling out solo this year, since Courtenay will be on a raft trip. We walked around and noted which sites did not requires a spotter to exit, since the huge Ponderosa pines can be very close to the parking area, add in the arc shape of many and it can get interesting to enter or exit.

kitphantom

Super Active Member
Platinum Supporting Member
Dec 26, 2009
Albuquerque, NM
I started a log when I got the Aliner. Lets me know how many miles on the bearings, where I've been, mods/repairs, etc. I add notes like "no shade, good for winter, smells bad, snakes..."
We keep a log for the vehicles, I have since my first car back in the '70s, having learned that from my dad.
We learned the hard way, with our first popup, to do the same for the trailer, and not depend on memory for mileage on tires, etc. It's separate from campground info. It does come in handy too, because we can look to see total actual miles from home to a campground we've used in the past, or from one campground to another. That's more accurate than looking at the gas fill-ups, but we look at those too for reference. When we fill up on the raod, we write down the town, and often the MP number if we're on the interstate. If it's not a handy gas station, we note that, or if it's one that is easy to use, we note that too.

Zephyr

Jun 18, 2013
central Oregon
I use a spiral-bound school assignment notebook as a camping journal. I note site numbers we stayed in (and good sites if we might return someday) plus camping fees, things we did, and general observations about the area. If it's a route we use regularly, I note good gas/grocery/quilt shops, etc.

For years, my parents drove from the Midwest to the Northwest to be campground hosts. When we first planned a road trip to visit them, my mom pulled out her journals and advised us of good overnight spots. Mom recently downsized to an apartment. I wonder if the journals were kept.

campagain

Jun 24, 2017
I use a spiral-bound school assignment notebook as a camping journal. I note site numbers we stayed in (and good sites if we might return someday) plus camping fees, things we did, and general observations about the area. If it's a route we use regularly, I note good gas/grocery/quilt shops, etc.

For years, my parents drove from the Midwest to the Northwest to be campground hosts. When we first planned a road trip to visit them, my mom pulled out her journals and advised us of good overnight spots. Mom recently downsized to an apartment. I wonder if the journals were kept.
I would call her tonight and ask, if it were me- those kinds of things have a funny way of falling into cracks :( My grandfather was born in France, and I found his birth certificate in waterlogged papers when I was moving things out of one of my parents' old sheds :( I was able to save it, but, I'm always quick to try to preserve any kind of family history info.