For those campers who log their trips and site numbers :)

campfire Joe

Jan 27, 2015
peru new york
My wife bought us a log book in 2014 when we got our popup. Everyday we log in what we do that day and what the weather was. It's only been almost 8 years since we started it but it's cool to look back at our trips. Wish we would have had one from all the tent trips we took in the 70s, 80s, 90s early 2000s too.

campagain

Jun 24, 2017
My wife bought us a log book in 2014 when we got our popup. Everyday we log in what we do that day and what the weather was. It's only been almost 8 years since we started it but it's cool to look back at our trips. Wish we would have had one from all the tent trips we took in the 70s, 80s, 90s early 2000s too.
I'm guessing you took pics during those trips, right? Work your way backward, and come up with a straw man of the trips taken. You can then backfill details as you remember them.

I'm very eager now to get transfers of my father's slides from our trips. I remember seeing them as a child, and hope to be able to make copies of them for my kids to see.

Grizzly_Wayne

Oct 7, 2010
Knoxville, Tn
My parents started camping back in the late 60's, before i was born. We were in the Starcraft camping club, Florida chapter. Camped once a month and the rally every summer. I have so many memories of different campgrounds as a kid, but no idea where we were. My dad didn't keep a journal, and only about 20% of the pictures my brother and i have found have any info written on the back. When i bought our first camper, Jayco Hybrid, i started a log of camping. I include location, campground, dates, site number, full hook up, water/electric only, price paid, shade, no shade, better sites to get next time. I want my daughter to have a record when she gets older, if she wants it. Also include a picture or two.

Sabotsailfam

Feb 24, 2021
San Diego, CA
That's amazing. All the way back to the 70s! Ours is only a few years old and it's already packed with nostalgia.

Yes, it's a great idea. It's been a fun way to both document valuable information and re-live family trips. Personally, I think it needs a main "owner" who enjoys logging in the information religiously. My wife is great about that. Then, getting everyone to contribute memories is the X factor that makes it a readable, enjoyable document that's relevant to everyone in the family. We have two boys, so there are plenty of drawings of the grizzly bear they saw or the waterfall they jumped off.

Ours is a binder with pockets and some clear pouches to hold things like campsite maps with good and bad sites noted; or even national park guides if we think we're headed back soon. It lives in the camper most of the time, but we have to backfill every once in a while after trips. Each entry includes a form with some practical, useful camping information that I gathered (stole?) from commercial and private online examples. I took the best of the best for a simple 1-page form. We also handwrite on the back of the 1-page form to keep the page count down. It includes the things that our family cares about and may need for future planning. Best sites, cell service if desired, etc.

See the attached if you're interested and want to consider some options for yours. If you want the form that I created, I might still have that somewhere on my computer and would be happy to share so you can adapt it to your own version to save time. As I recall, it's a Word document...but I'm not sure. if I can even find the darned thing. Worst case, look at the form for ideas. Have fun folks!

Attachments

• 20220810_094327_resized.jpg
    20220810_094327_resized.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 15
  • 20220810_094415_resized.jpg
    20220810_094415_resized.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 15
  • 20220810_094502_resized.jpg
    20220810_094502_resized.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 15
  • 20220810_094602_resized.jpg
    20220810_094602_resized.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 15

Sabotsailfam

Feb 24, 2021
San Diego, CA
That's amazing. All the way back to the 70s! Ours is only a few years old and it's already packed with nostalgia.

Yes, it's a great idea. It's been a fun way to both document valuable information and re-live family trips. Personally, I think it needs a main "owner" who enjoys logging in the information religiously. My wife is great about that. Then, getting everyone to contribute memories is the X factor that makes it a readable, enjoyable document that's relevant to everyone in the family. We have two boys, so there are plenty of drawings of the grizzly bear they saw or the waterfall they jumped off.

Ours is a binder with pockets and some clear pouches to hold things like campsite maps with good and bad sites noted; or even national park guides if we think we're headed back soon. It lives in the camper most of the time, but we have to backfill every once in a while after trips. Each entry includes a form with some practical, useful camping information that I gathered (stole?) from commercial and private online examples. I took the best of the best for a simple 1-page form. We also handwrite on the back of the 1-page form to keep the page count down. It includes the things that our family cares about and may need for future planning. Best sites, cell service if desired, etc.

See the attached if you're interested and want to consider some options for yours. If you want the form that I created, I might still have that somewhere on my computer and would be happy to share so you can adapt it to your own version to save time. As I recall, it's a Word document...but I'm not sure. if I can even find the darned thing. Worst case, look at the form for ideas. Have fun folks!
I was able to find it but it won't let me add an editable version. Only pdf. So you will need to re-type it if you want to customize it for your needs. Looks like this version had some paw prints on it that I took off the version we use for some reason. If you are desperate for a paw-free version, let me know and I'll see if I can get it off of there and re-post.

I also found and tossed in a rough draft of a set up/tear down checklist. Keep or toss or adapt that if you want it. Anyway, here you go if you want it. Cheers.

Attachments

• Camping form.pdf
    112.4 KB · Views: 8
  • CAMPER CHECKLIST FOR SET UP.pdf
    91 KB · Views: 6

Campeador

May 22, 2021
Fort Worth, TX
Fun to read through everyone's observations on this. As a perfectionist, I love to scout campgrounds and look for the site that would work best for us. I keep notes on my phone, because I always have it with me. It would probably be smart to collate the data onto a word document, but I'm less organized these days! For CG's in the Rockies, I've discovered some Youtube channels devoted to 'drive throughs' that can give you an idea of what the sites look like. I'm sure there are similar channels for other areas too. It kind of spoils the surprise, but it helps you get a good site.

Karey

Apr 3, 2021
Colorado
We tent camped for years, and no log/records other than typical photos in photo albums. Now with an Aframe I started a Camping Journal on my iPad Pro with the app Notability. No need for wifi. Early mornings while drinking my coffee I start the new site journal. I take photos with my iPad of everything and pull them into the Notability app. Calling it "Camping Journeys". Anything can be added. And as I write each day I realize what I need a picture of and make sure I take one.

Hilldweller

Super Active Member
Mar 2, 2021
Hog Waller, GA
Fun to read through everyone's observations on this. As a perfectionist, I love to scout campgrounds and look for the site that would work best for us. I keep notes on my phone, because I always have it with me. It would probably be smart to collate the data onto a word document, but I'm less organized these days! For CG's in the Rockies, I've discovered some Youtube channels devoted to 'drive throughs' that can give you an idea of what the sites look like. I'm sure there are similar channels for other areas too. It kind of spoils the surprise, but it helps you get a good site.
"Going Nowhere Fast" reviews campgrounds around here. Sometimes a little too much in depth. Seems like a nice guy, cool dog. I'd like to run into him one day and let our dogs play.

craig heaton

Jan 26, 2021
I wish I'd kept one when we tent camped, but with the popup I've started keeping a log. I record where we've stayed, site, dates, weather and comments about the campground (e.g., bathrooms bad or great fishing). The same log keeps track of all trips taken with the camper so that it also serves as a mileage / maintenance log (including adding lines for self maintenance). It's all kept in a spreadsheet. I also keep a log of "places to visit" that sadly grows faster than the one logging the places I've been!

hayyward

Silver Supporting Member
Sep 16, 2006
Packerland
I keep a book with blank pages in a drawer of the PUP for logging trips which includes when, where, who, site #, highlights, etc. More of a journal than anything else. Since I keep it in the PUP, it's only available when it's popped so not for reference outside of that. It's fun to look back on from time to time.

kcsa75

Super Active Member
Gold Supporting Member
Sep 9, 2013
Kansas City
Does AAA still prepare these? It screams 80s, but I can imagine some neo-luddites refusing to use google maps patiently waiting in a strip mall office for a AAA agent to highlight the route.

tfischer

A bad day camping beats a good day at the office
Does AAA still prepare these? It screams 80s, but I can imagine some neo-luddites refusing to use google maps patiently waiting in a strip mall office for a AAA agent to highlight the route.

Evidently they still do. Someone brought them up a year or so ago and I googled and AAA claimed they're still going strong and many people prefer them.

I can hardly fathom, having used GPS for over 15 years, and I felt I was late to THAT bandwagon... (before GPS I would plan trips with Google Maps and Mapquest (remember that) and print them out into a 3 ring binder.

I didn't really plan road trips until the late 90s, and "internet tech" was already in place by then. We did have road atlasses and state mpas through the mid 2000's though as backup...

Campeador

May 22, 2021
Fort Worth, TX
Evidently they still do. Someone brought them up a year or so ago and I googled and AAA claimed they're still going strong and many people prefer them.

I can hardly fathom, having used GPS for over 15 years, and I felt I was late to THAT bandwagon... (before GPS I would plan trips with Google Maps and Mapquest (remember that) and print them out into a 3 ring binder.

I didn't really plan road trips until the late 90s, and "internet tech" was already in place by then. We did have road atlasses and state mpas through the mid 2000's though as backup...
We still keep maps and atlases in the car as a plan B. When we get into remote areas of NM there is often no signal. Actually, that would happen to us in northern MN too.

I also love my topo maps for hiking and mountain biking. But other than that, yeah the game has changed so significantly.

Oldspurs

Jan 2, 2022
Central Texas
We still keep maps and atlases in the car as a plan B. When we get into remote areas of NM there is often no signal. Actually, that would happen to us in northern MN too.

I also love my topo maps for hiking and mountain biking. But other than that, yeah the game has changed so significantly.
I use GAIA GPS Maps, good offline source for maps, for back country, boondocking, hiking, or cycling. Maps offline for GPS driving directions is loaded on an android 10 in notebook. My navigator, DW, can keep us lined out as I drive. As stated above, we still keep paper maps, atlas, and specialty atlases, like Backroads of Texas, New Mexico, Arizona. As history geeks it let's us get closer to actual locations of sites. See you on the trail.