Ford EV lightning slammed in tow test

Sabotsailfam

Feb 24, 2021
San Diego, CA
You’re assuming everyone who buys an EV is a green nut and doing it solely to ”save the planet”. That’s far from the truth. Most just buy them because they’re better cars. Sure, there are some extremists, but those are on both sides. Personally, I’d be happy to support my fellow Kentuckians working hard to support their families in the coal mines. 100% American power from right down the road.

Who knows, maybe one of these days I’ll be able to keep it all in-state with an electric Super Duty built in Louisville, made with batteries built in Glendale out of recycled minerals from Hopkinsville, all powered by coal from Eastern KY with some local hydroelectric thrown in. Or maybe one of those fancy new EV Corvette SUVs they‘ll be building in Bowling Green ;)

I‘ll see your meme and raise my own. All in good fun [Guitar]
View attachment 86807
THAT'S Good stuff! LOL. And sign me on for the 100% American power. And as much manufacturing as we can pull off as well.

1380ken

Super Active Member
Nov 7, 2013
Mass
If EV manufacturers were serious about the environment they would not make electric cars that do 0-60 in 2.9 seconds. That is not conserving energy.

Sabotsailfam

Feb 24, 2021
San Diego, CA
If EV manufacturers were serious about the environment they would not make electric cars that do 0-60 in 2.9 seconds. That is not conserving energy.
Just for fun, I looked up Tesla's mission statement:

Tesla's mission is to accelerate the world's transition to sustainable energy. Tesla was founded in 2003 by a group of engineers who wanted to prove that people didn't need to compromise to drive electric – that electric vehicles can be better, quicker and more fun to drive than gasoline cars.

Maybe that clarifies it a bit. Think more in terms of full replacement of the technology, not the deliverables, including big gains in sustainable. Buyers need not compromise.

I am not a shill for Tesla, I can assure you. I wish there were a better company example. But they are, bar none, the best that it gets right now. I wish Ford could pull it together. Even GM. I'd love to leave Tesla behind to become the AOL of car makers.

Rusty2192

Super Active Member
Jul 30, 2014
Kentucky
A new video just dropped with actual real-world driving, not worst case sensationalism for YouTube views. Approximately 157 miles range for the full 100% of the battery, or around 125 for the optimum 80-0% for road trips. This is with the Platinum trim with 22” wheels that gets less range than the lower trims with 20” wheels. So it could be 165 for full battery or 132 for 80% with the smaller wheels.

This is with a 30’, 8,000 lb Airstream at 55 mph.

Bowman3d

Super Active Member
Apr 13, 2015
LaLa land (SoCal)
Rusty I just thought the meme was funny. Don't really care that much how they charge their cars. Saw a demo on the news today of a three wheel single seater that looked like it would be fun have for running around town. You can take the batteries out to charge or just plug in to a regular outlet. Its Not ready for market yet.

Sjm9911

Super Active Member
May 31, 2018
Nj
A new video just dropped with actual real-world driving, not worst case sensationalism for YouTube views. Approximately 157 miles range for the full 100% of the battery, or around 125 for the optimum 80-0% for road trips. This is with the Platinum trim with 22” wheels that gets less range than the lower trims with 20” wheels. So it could be 165 for full battery or 132 for 80% with the smaller wheels.

This is with a 30’, 8,000 lb Airstream at 55 mph.

I didnt get a chance to watch it yet. But at that speed on a highway is almost unrealistic. Especially around here. On say 1 95 where the limot is 75 going 55 will get you killed. That said, you could go the sode roads, but then there will be less chargers. So , better numbers, but still not really doable, at least by me.

teh603

Dec 28, 2020
Coastal Texas
I didnt get a chance to watch it yet. But at that speed on a highway is almost unrealistic. Especially around here. On say 1 95 where the limot is 75 going 55 will get you killed. That said, you could go the sode roads, but then there will be less chargers. So , better numbers, but still not really doable, at least by me.
That's why some of us want to put up chargers in the smaller off- the- road towns. Charge a couple of dollars an hour for parking and charging (mostly charging) and put it right across from a store or eatery to get some money coming into cash- starved communities.

Sabotsailfam

Feb 24, 2021
San Diego, CA
This dosen't bode well for the furture.
Yeah, that's the usual load of BS (Breezy Speculation of course ;) ) spewed by regular media and distorted further by social media keyboard warriors spreading it around to wind people up and spread the BS even further.

I'm not commenting here on whether CA's timeline for EVs is good, bad or otherwise. All I ask is that people use a little common sense when they read BS via twisted headlines that get clicks (like the News"weak" article you shared). Better still, don't take anything social media seriously if it seems like BS.

Since nobody has time or ability to read anymore, this SNIP should summarize it for you.

If your time is short:
  • The California Independent System Operator, which oversees the operations of the state’s power grid, issued a Flex Alert last week amid the first heat wave of the summer.
  • The alert asked Californians to conserve electricity when possible. It included several tips, including a **** suggestion to avoid charging electric cars during peak power usage hours.****
  • Most electric car drivers top off their battery regularly rather than charging it from empty to full. Therefore, many cars are equipped with charging timers and only require a few hours of charging each day, so Californians can easily avoid charging vehicles during peak hours.
  • Experts say California’s power grid can comfortably support up to 5 million electric cars on the road. Currently, there are roughly 635,000 electric vehicles registered in the state, according to the California Energy Commission.

Sjm9911

Super Active Member
May 31, 2018
Nj
Have no clue ,but all that stuff wasnt in the artical. What was , is that they expect 68 percent of all vehcal sals to be evs in 8 years. If they cant handle the power needs now, that could be a problem.
Newsweek is or was a reguler magazine, I wouldnt call them social media.

Sabotsailfam

Feb 24, 2021
San Diego, CA
Have no clue ,but all that stuff wasnt in the artical. What was , is that they expect 68 percent of all vehcal sals to be evs in 8 years. If they cant handle the power needs now, that could be a problem.
Newsweek is or was a reguler magazine, I wouldnt call them social media.
The specifics of whether the grid will be up to the task, or not, is it's own separate TV special, so to speak. Like most changes in technology, there's a disproportionate number of challenges during the spool-up period that are eventually solved. I don't know how much of a mess CA's timeline will create, but time will tell.

As for Newsweek, it was (perhaps still is) considered a traditional media source. It's now online-only, and has been sold multiple times due to the challenges of trying to be a reliable, objective, news source in a sea of sensational BS that gets clicks and ad sales. We're now down to a handful of reliable news sources that haven't been pushed into the kind of BS headline and article that you saw with the News"weak" article.

This particular "story" continues the fact-free BS fabrication from 2021. So, while Newsweek isn't social media, it does empower social media to spread fabrications like this. And that might be an even worse offense because people get to say, Ooh, look what Newsweek, the reliable news publication said! They then spread the BS. Exhibit A: the fact that the Newsweek link was shared via this actual discussion that we're having now. Where's Newsweek's journalistic responsibility to provide the critical detail that it's CA's recommendation/request to charge off-peak? Kinda changes the "shocking and sensational" story a bit doesn't it?

Hm. I wonder if Newsweek would get less attention and clicks and therefore advertising dollars if they used an objective, truthful headline "CA asks EV owners to charge off-peak"? LOL.

Further, what if we only discussed rational conversations related to CA's sensibility or unhinged chaos surrounding EVs? Much better to work with real information and not memes, conspiracy theories, etc., I think.

Here's additional info that might be useful:

FACT CHECK: Is California asking residents to avoid charging electric cars amid power grid strain?​

AP'S ASSESSMENT: Missing context. The headline being shared was from a June 2021 heat wave — not mid-March 2022 — and was a voluntary recommendation that residents charge electric vehicles and do other activities outside of certain peak periods.

THE FACTS: A months-old headline is spreading online anew, wrongly suggesting that California is currently requesting electric vehicle car owners to stop charging their cars.

AP is an actual, bona fide news agency that does a fairly decent job of getting the story right.

So there's all the information you certainly didn't ask for, and maybe didn't want to know in the first place. I just can't help but make sure there's a little dose of objective material online occasionally. ;)

Sjm9911

Super Active Member
May 31, 2018
Nj
The newsweek artical has a recent date and its for now into the future. So, what one is fake news, lol.

Sjm9911

Super Active Member
May 31, 2018
Nj
Yea, your artical is old and was not refencing the new one that just came out. Thats because it makes no mention of the car ban, or the upcoming heat wave. So the fact check is, in essance, useless as it was for something compleatly diffrent.

Now whos beliving what they want to on the interwebs[A]

Its all good, here is an artical that the ap had input into. https://www.mystateline.com/news/na...c-vehicles-days-after-announcing-gas-car-ban/
Not sure about if they are on par with Newsweek :cool:

But its all good I get your point the headline was more sensationalism then not. But the fact will reamian that they have a power problem. Couple that with a heat wave and EVs and it can be problumatic. I get that infastruture takes time to build, I just don't think 8 years is enough time. They allready have delayed taking older fossil fule plants offline.

Bowman3d

Super Active Member
Apr 13, 2015
LaLa land (SoCal)
It's funny. You don't trust internet news media but you trust fact checkers. Fact checkers are nothing but a extension of the the news media. They have been proven wrong time after time. Not saying they are wrong this time just saying I don't trust fact checkers because most of them have political agendas and can't separate them from their job. Polifacts is one of the worst. I never investigated the AP. But I always had my doubts about them.

Sabotsailfam

Feb 24, 2021
San Diego, CA
Yea, your artical is old and was not refencing the new one that just came out. Thats because it makes no mention of the car ban, or the upcoming heat wave. So the fact check is, in essance, useless as it was for something compleatly diffrent.

Now whos beliving what they want to on the interwebs[A]

Its all good, here is an artical that the ap had input into. https://www.mystateline.com/news/na...c-vehicles-days-after-announcing-gas-car-ban/
Not sure about if they are on par with Newsweek :cool:

But its all good I get your point the headline was more sensationalism then not. But the fact will reamian that they have a power problem. Couple that with a heat wave and EVs and it can be problumatic. I get that infastruture takes time to build, I just don't think 8 years is enough time. They allready have delayed taking older fossil fule plants offline.
The article is old? No kidding, brother. That's the whole point. If you haven't gathered that this propaganda keeps getting shared and re-shared through the months and re-published, I just can't help you man.

Again, if you can think about this one thing, maybe it will help: clicks = $. They love to get people wound up with partial truths and sometimes pure BS. It makes money when they can show advertisers that they are getting eyeballs on ads.

You literally added another article that's analogous to the Newsweek article. They both have *some* information in them. It doesn't contain the important details (charge off peak) that show it's just intended to be sensational and generate clicks. The stories come off the wire and the station/publication use it as-is crediting it wholly as AP or re-write it stating, "The Associated Press contributed to this report." I can explain this further, but hopefully it's self-evident.

Glad you seem to understand that the headline is misleading and incomplete. The dangerous people are the ones who believe what they want to believe and will support and defend their position sometimes to the point where it becomes comically twisted nonsense. They will go to their grave to defend complete horse hockey even with all the facts in the world.

Keep your eyes open and your BS meters tuned when online. Cheers.

Sabotsailfam

Feb 24, 2021
San Diego, CA
It's funny. You don't trust internet news media but you trust fact checkers. Fact checkers are nothing but a extension of the the news media. They have been proven wrong time after time. Not saying they are wrong this time just saying I don't trust fact checkers because most of them have political agendas and can't separate them from their job. Polifacts is one of the worst. I never investigated the AP. But I always had my doubts about them.
I don't know if this is directed at my comments or not, but I'm glad to hear your skepticism about what you find online. Congrats -- that's a healthy reaction. Even once-legit resources (great example, ironically, is Newsweek) can fade in reliability over time if their business model is threatened.

As for the AP, their entire sales proposition is that they provide the facts and objective information about people and events. That becomes more believable when you realize that you see AP sourced on both conservative and liberal publications. If an article is written wholly by AP, it's probably not sexy, but it contains the facts. You can, of course, have a local station or publisher take parts of the AP newswire (a subscription they offer that's copyright flexible to the publications) article and embellish/add/remove to localize or sensationalize it.

Correction: I rely 100% on the internet for my news. I don't subscribe to any print news publications. Not sure where you got that idea. And I'm a bit like you. I don't really universally trust any source.

But I do trust common sense. Let's see.....would CA tell all the EV owners to STOP charging their vehicles, period? Seriously? Sounds just a bit suspicious and like a problem at the future polls, no? Cracks me up.

I've got an idea. How 'bout somebody points to the webpage or even a press release where the CA Energy Commission states "Stop charging your EVs" without any mention of off-peak or similar. I'd love to be corrected on this so I can hate Newsome even more than I already do.

Sjm9911

Super Active Member
May 31, 2018
Nj
I know how it works, lol. This was a press release. They take someones quotes about the up coming heat wave , the new one not the old one, and it gets sent out to varrious news agencies. Those agencies then rewrite the press release and publish it citing small peices of the orginal. How am I doing so far? This is still a new release and artical. Yes, they will all be similer because they come from the same source.

Sabotsailfam

Feb 24, 2021
San Diego, CA
I know how it works, lol. This was a press release. They take someones quotes about the up coming heat wave , the new one not the old one, and it gets sent out to varrious news agencies. Those agencies then rewrite the press release and publish it citing small peices of the orginal. How am I doing so far? This is still a new release and artical. Yes, they will all be similer because they come from the same source.
Yes, you're doing great on the process of press releases. Are you making a new point? You've already stated that you understand how the headline is essentially clickbait and misleading. Are you now saying you believe that it's true?

As I stated in a previous comment:

I've got an idea. How 'bout somebody points to the (.gov) webpage or even a press release where the CA Energy Commission states "Stop charging your EVs" without any mention of off-peak or similar. I'd love to be corrected on this so I can hate Newsome even more than I already do.

Bowman3d

Super Active Member
Apr 13, 2015
LaLa land (SoCal)
Actually I was just trying to point out that the fact checkers aren't really fact checkers. Many times they flag something I post on FB as false info or partially wrong. When I go and see what was wrong it's usually some small detail that doesn't change the overall veracity of the post. IE on the 4th of July I reposted an article on the star spangled banner. In the article it said Francis Scott Key was lawyer from Washington . They flagged the post as false because he was in fact from Baltimore.