Fort Wainwright Famcamp

generok

Super Active Member
Feb 7, 2013
Anchorage, AK
We headed up to Fairbanks with intent to go up the Haul Road to the Arctic Circle. We planned to stay at Fort Wainright famcamp, for a few nights and then head up. Made my reservation on May 1, the first day they take them. Of course, my fist site had 20, 30 and 50 Amp service, but the 30 Amp breaker was just busted, would not reset. Luckily the site next to us was free, so they let us move. The power pedestals are WAY in the back and many sites also have a little cabin on them, so luckily my cord just reached. It was in the 80s so we needed A/C.

Site is pretty good and the Moose Loop is quiet. The loop is a mix of dry, water only, electric only, and electric and water sites. Dump station is on the way out. It had no rinse water, but they ran a hose with no valve on it 100 feet from the Outdoor Rec building, which also has showers and laundry (didn't use). Site are fairly level and gravel with pretty good space in between.

Of course, you need to be active or retired mitary to use the place. It's close to the Chena River, but there's not really access, but you can see it. Nice place to base if you're doing Fairbanks. If you come in, use the Trainor Gate, you won't have to do a U turn to get into the park.

20220627_184945.jpg 20220627_184737.jpg 20220627_184720.jpg