Furnace Questions

Kyle Barth

Jul 23, 2021
Menomonee Falls, Wisconsin
Hello everyone,

I have an issue with the furnace on my Fleetwood PUP. The unit turns on and I can feel heat coming from the unit itself, but nothing actually blows out from the vent. The blower/fan don't seem to kick on. Wondering if anyone has had experience solving issues like this? Is it the furnace itself, is it the thermostat? Any trouble shooting tips and tricks will be greatly appreciated.

I don't have much experience in dealing with this type of problem.

Dingit

Super Active Member
Mar 8, 2017
Old furnaces don't even have fans but I'm guessing yours is newer if it's tagged "Fleetwood".

What year is it?

Dingit

Super Active Member
Mar 8, 2017
So...not early 1970s. Yeah. Definitely a fan. :)

I don't think the thermostat is part of this.

Somewhere on the internet, maybe here but I don't remember, there is a detailed parts and electrical schematic for the '08 Fleetwoods. (I have it printed and stuffed away in the trailer so can't see right now what exactly it is or where I got it but it exists!) If you can find it, it might help you identify where there are fuses. Furnaces are used by multiple manufacturers so it might be easier to find a furnace manual. It does sound like a furnace issue more than a trailer one.

In other words, I dunno. But I do know it's a nice heater when it works.

McFlyfi

Super Active Member
Aug 1, 2014
Thousand Oaks CA
The burner shouldn't come on if the fan isn't running. The sequence should be:
Thermostat calls for heat, fan turns on and runs for a preset period (15-30 seconds or so), ignitor clicks as gas valve opens, burner ignites (whoosh!), fan distributes heat, thermostat calls for the heat to shut off, burner shuts off, fan runs for a pre set time (15-30 seconds or so), then fan shuts off until thermostat calls for heat again.

Most furnace failures are due to the sail switch not operating correctly, but it's almost always because the blower isn't moving enough air.

You've got some safety issues with the way it is operating now.

generok

Super Active Member
Gold Supporting Member
Feb 7, 2013
Anchorage, AK
I was running down the diagnostic tree and scrolled to the bottom... glad it worked out for you!

bondebond

Super Active Member
Aug 14, 2008
Does not make sense, your description is completely at odds with how it should work, there should not be any heat if the fan is not running at startup.
I have to agree with your assessment. If the thermostat sends signal at all, it is the furnace's job to A) fire up the fan and B) turn on the heat once the sail switch is satisfied, just like McFlyfi described. Never should the furnace turn on the gas burner without the fan triggering the sail switch. Since I can't be there in person, it is what it is. But that's not right, based on the information we have.

Latest posts