Go or stay home

Mark60

Aug 23, 2020
TN
I’m going, the rain doesn’t sound bad as the heat index near triple digits. Dang it’s getting expensive to go camping now days,

no Fries

Mar 25, 2013
Fort Mill
I've done similar stuff in the past. Make a loop around the trunk and leave the tail to hang where it can be pulled to untie the knot. (don't know the term for the knot) and push the loop up with a stick or pole. You can pull the tail of the rope hanging down and the knot comes undone. Just have to make sure there are no branches below where you want to slide the loop up, takes some work but this is the ay I've done it.

Similar to this

JiffyPopJunkie

Jun 5, 2014
LG Region NY
Nice setup but how in the world did you tie the ridgeline for that tarp in your picture? the picture makes it look like you must have had to climb a tree or two.
No climbing!!(that would be a horrific sight!) I have about a 200' x3/8 rope for the ridgeline. I tie a rock or something with a little weight to one end of the rope, look for a tree with a branch about 15-20' high, and throw the rope over the branch. Then spiral the rope around the tree about 2-3 times and tie it off at waist height. Fish the line through the tarp eyelets and repeat the same thing on another tree across the site, pulling the rope and tarp up in the air tight. Once its up I tie off guy lines off the tarp eyelets where ever possible to open up the tarp. Its a bit of a PITA but once its up you thank yourself over and over. If its going to rain its the 1st thing that get set up and the last thing to come down.

Mark60

Aug 23, 2020
TN
I thought I would get a jump on things and get the camper loaded this evening for tommorrow. So I’m sitting on the screened in porch waiting for the temperature to drop out of the 90’s sweating with a fan blowing on me. So at 8:00 pm I said it’s a no go right now and waited till dark to hitch up the camper and top off the camper tires with air. Humidity is right at 100 percent every morning with the temperature getting into mid 90’s during the day. I still have yet to see any rain they keep calling for but any exertion and your ringing wet with sweat. Made myself a note no more camping from late June through mid September. It’s well after midnight before you feel any relief. I’m hoping the camper AC can keep up with this heat and humidity. I’ll definitely have it blowing wide open soon as I can get it plugged in, I cut back on the firewood as sitting by the fire is out. So here it is 10:00 pm and still soaking wet with sweat. Going to take a shower and finish loading in the morning before the sun comes up. I should be at the campsite by 1:00 pm tomorrow. I already put out my warnings no AC working I’ll be heading for the couch watching the braves play baseball under the house AC.

jnbarrett

Mar 30, 2022
Winnipeg, MB
I thought I would get a jump on things and get the camper loaded this evening for tommorrow. So I’m sitting on the screened in porch waiting for the temperature to drop out of the 90’s sweating with a fan blowing on me. So at 8:00 pm I said it’s a no go right now and waited till dark to hitch up the camper and top off the camper tires with air. Humidity is right at 100 percent every morning with the temperature getting into mid 90’s during the day. I still have yet to see any rain they keep calling for but any exertion and your ringing wet with sweat. Made myself a note no more camping from late June through mid September. It’s well after midnight before you feel any relief. I’m hoping the camper AC can keep up with this heat and humidity. I’ll definitely have it blowing wide open soon as I can get it plugged in, I cut back on the firewood as sitting by the fire is out. So here it is 10:00 pm and still soaking wet with sweat. Going to take a shower and finish loading in the morning before the sun comes up. I should be at the campsite by 1:00 pm tomorrow. I already put out my warnings no AC working I’ll be heading for the couch watching the braves play baseball under the house AC.

I was troubleshooting our propane system myself .... now we have the camper prepped. Loading it up in the AM then we're off for the Canada Day long weekend up here. 4.5-5 hour drive ahead of us tomorrow.

We have a nice sunny weekend ahead of us so far, with daytime temperatures around 68F and night time lows of about 50F in the Duck Mountain Provincial Park.

PopUpSteve

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2002
Southeastern PA
Weather all this week has been only rain on Saturday. Now, it's rain today between 4pm and 9pm so, oh joy, setup in the rain!

Mark60

Aug 23, 2020
TN
This is to funny, worrying about the rain and somebody jumped the gun and turned on the AC before the bunk end support pole was pushed in place, needless to say there is so much humidity that the AC is condensate good like a faucet. 1 bed got saturated, got the mattress pad and sheets drying. Lesson always have the pop up set up before hitting the AC switch lol, now it’s raining I enclosed pictures of my flower pot awning leg supports.

Jeri Sullivan

2006 Rockwood Freedom
Gold Supporting Member
Aug 5, 2020
Southern Oregon
I went out about a month ago. It rained 3 inches on us. We still had a great weekend and went out on hikes between showers. I did come home and make reflectics for the bunk ends as we had a lot of condensation on the bunk e d tops due to all the humidity inside.

Mark60

Aug 23, 2020
TN
It rained on us till about midnight last night but at least it cooled off. We set under the awning and watched TV. Most other campers stayed inside. I just barely got my new blackstone griddle seasoned and half way cooled down before the rain hit. Going to try it out for breakfast this morning.