Good, bad and ugly of a Trail Lite Bantom B17-B Hybrid

Will Bonville

Mar 15, 2021
After a horrible purchase of a used popup last year (we had to tow the thing to the dump after one use as it literally fell apart), we decided to pull the trigger on a previously loved hybrid. We got our hands on a 2001 Trail Lite B17-B for a really good price (for Canada). Just want to know what we should look out for? Any upgrades we should do (LED lighting, etc...)? I look forward to hearing from everyone.

Last edited:

jmkay1

2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Oct 10, 2013
Northern Virginia
Check out the latches on the hybrid. At one time hybrids had a latch system that ultimately caused leaks to work its way in. I believe the better latch is the lever type latch and not a screw.
Also check for delamination in the bunk area itself. Not necessarily a trail lite issue but an issue known in hybrids in general.

Will Bonville

Mar 15, 2021
Check out the latches on the hybrid. At one time hybrids had a latch system that ultimately caused leaks to work its way in. I believe the better latch is the lever type latch and not a screw.
Also check for delamination in the bunk area itself. Not necessarily a trail lite issue but an issue known in hybrids in general.
Thanks for that. We're also towing with a 2016 Grand Caravan so we're likely going to put on a weight distribution hitch which will hopefully help level things out a bit.

Sneezer

Super Active Member
Aug 8, 2015
DFW, TX
Those early Bantams had issues with the pop outs. Check the seals for the doors - they often leaked in the corners I think. As with any trailer, make sure the roof seams are sealed properly - more maintenance needed due to the larger roof/sides and windows.

Enjoy the new rig - hope you enjoy it more than the last one!