Good, bad and ugly of a Trail Lite Bantom B17-B Hybrid

Will Bonville

Mar 15, 2021
After a horrible purchase of a used popup last year (we had to tow the thing to the dump after one use as it literally fell apart), we decided to pull the trigger on a previously loved hybrid. We got our hands on a 2001 Trail Lite B17-B for a really good price (for Canada). Just want to know what we should look out for? Any upgrades we should do (LED lighting, etc...)? I look forward to hearing from everyone.

Last edited:

jmkay1

2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Oct 10, 2013
Northern Virginia
Check out the latches on the hybrid. At one time hybrids had a latch system that ultimately caused leaks to work its way in. I believe the better latch is the lever type latch and not a screw.
Also check for delamination in the bunk area itself. Not necessarily a trail lite issue but an issue known in hybrids in general.

Will Bonville

Mar 15, 2021
Check out the latches on the hybrid. At one time hybrids had a latch system that ultimately caused leaks to work its way in. I believe the better latch is the lever type latch and not a screw.
Also check for delamination in the bunk area itself. Not necessarily a trail lite issue but an issue known in hybrids in general.
Thanks for that. We're also towing with a 2016 Grand Caravan so we're likely going to put on a weight distribution hitch which will hopefully help level things out a bit.

Sneezer

Super Active Member
Aug 8, 2015
DFW, TX
Those early Bantams had issues with the pop outs. Check the seals for the doors - they often leaked in the corners I think. As with any trailer, make sure the roof seams are sealed properly - more maintenance needed due to the larger roof/sides and windows.

Enjoy the new rig - hope you enjoy it more than the last one!

Will Bonville

Mar 15, 2021
Well, after a few road trips with this unit, we've ran into a few hiccups.

1) Soft floor near the front... We've found that the previous owner connected an air vent into the fresh water tank and didn't put a valve or stopper in it. We filled the fresh water up before we left for our last trip only to find that water had poured out of the air vent and all inside the front storage compartment and ultimately left some of the floors rotting over the years. We'll be pulling out the interior next year and replacing some of the flooring

2) Delamination of some of the side panelling. I suspect this is due to the water damage mentioned above

3) Need to reseal everything. The caulking has seen better days so next spring i'll be peeling all the old caulking off and resealing all the seams.

Other than a few minor things this little unit did us well during some cooolllddd nights last weekend. The furnace works like a dream (needs a new thermostat but they're cheap), the previous owner installed LED lights all around so bonus for us, and also installed a solar panel w/controller to keep the batteries charged up when the unit is parked.