Goodbye to Walmart camping?

NLB

Oct 10, 2021
West Palm Beach, Florida
I doubt suing Walmart for $75K will change anything.
She left her kids sleeping in her car whilst she was shopping?……child endangerment?
The only thing worse than the homeless situation in the US is the over abundance of ambulance chasing lawyers, and washed up celebrities selling Medicare Advantage plans.
End of Rant.

jmkay1

2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Oct 10, 2013
Northern Virginia
It totally sucks a child died. The biggest problem with the world now is the total lack of accountability and these sue hungry people who are hoping for a quick buck and what’s really sad the number of times they win. Then as usual make it 10 times harder for the good campers and truckers for a quick nap before hitting the road. Now most Walmarts around me have already changed the parking lot rules because of earlier instances, in particular homeless .

Dave2514g

Sep 2, 2019
Ontario, Canada
I feel terrible for the mother to experience such a loss. However, this attitude of receiving compensation rather than taking ownership for our own actions will be the death of us all.

There is a park near our house that has a nice pond. Around the pond are signs:
ABSOLUTELY NO FISHING
NO SWIMMING
NO ICE SKATING

All the fun has been taken away from our kids because the township is afraid of the liability. Until we learn to take responsibility for our own actions the situation will only get worse.

Tonya Harding

Super Active Member
Gold Supporting Member
Jun 15, 2018
Virginia
Welp, wonder why it took 3 years...anyhoos, what lead to the tragedy was the fact she left kids in a vehicle by themselves, therefore a NO GO in this situation; Wally World has an endless supply of corporate lawyers & $$$$$$$$$$, be interesting to see the outcome. Will give her a little plus check mark for only suing for $75K, usually suit is for a crap load more...

tfischer

A bad day camping beats a good day at the office
The kids were 6 and 9. The news did a story on the legality of that closer to when the incident happened... and most states don't have a law about kids that old being left in the vehicle. In Minnesota (where this happened), it falls back to "child endangerment" laws, and the lawyers they talked to said it's complicated and each situation is different.

I personally wouldn't have left my 6 and 9 year olds in the car for over an hour (which this evidently was) but I'm not sure it falls to the level of endangerment or negligence.

On the other hand, blaming Wal-Mart for the fire seems just idiotic. Sounds like the fire spread very quickly... even at an established campground, I doubt it would have been caught in time.

kcsa75

Super Active Member
Gold Supporting Member
Sep 9, 2013
Kansas City
The only thing worse than the homeless situation in the US is the over abundance of ambulance chasing lawyers, and washed up celebrities selling Medicare Advantage plans.
End of Rant.

Is "uh oh, better call David Singer" still a thing in South Florida?

Reactions: NLB

davido

Super Active Member
Jul 17, 2014
Question: Who leaves her vehicle next to sketchy campers, kids inside, while shopping?

Good question. Is that the act of someone who has a home, and a conventional lifestyle, or is it the act of someone who is also sketchy?

tfischer

A bad day camping beats a good day at the office
Question: Who leaves her vehicle next to sketchy campers, kids inside, while shopping?

Good question. Is that the act of someone who has a home, and a conventional lifestyle, or is it the act of someone who is also sketchy?

It evidently was a minivan, not a camper, and not parked in the fringes of the lot like campers normally would.