Grease cap for wheel? Help please...

Hughes4

Aug 28, 2016
Not sure what to call it, but I'm trying to find the little cap that goes over the middle of the wheel where all the grease it packed it. Somehow ours fell off on one side! It's a coleman utah '95, but pretty sure they're pretty universal. Grease it all packed in there, but the cap came off so we covered it with tape so I'd stop bumping it and getting covered in grease. Got a new cover from the RV store and it LOOKS like it fits, but it's just the right size so it matches up the the rim, but won't tap in there. Is there either a different one you all recommend or a trick to putting these darn caps on?? Any help is appreciated!

Hughes4

Aug 28, 2016
I did that and try as I might, still wouldn't go on! Might need to try again with a bit more patience....Thanks!

tfischer

A bad day camping beats a good day at the office
The new ones fit on VERY tight. We had to pick one up in an emergency while on a road trip, where my only available tool was a leveling board lol. We did have a rubber mallet, but packed inside the camper lol.

Anthony Hitchings

Super Active Member
Silver Supporting Member
Mar 2, 2019
Oakland, California
Bought ours at an auto parts store, part way thru a trip. Would not stay in - so I duct taped it.

Fast forward to new axle with new grease caps - tight fit.

Gete a piece of 2x4, hold it flat and dead center over the cap - hit it very solidly dead center with a single-jack hammer (if you have one) (its like a baby sledgehammer) - it will go straight in if its the right size.

rsdata

Oct 3, 2011
N. KY
the grease caps are actually two different sizes, very close to the same but one is slightly smaller... in an emergency clean hub and wrap with duct tape or my favorite fix-it tape, Gorilla tape... heck I've seen the grease caps in Wal mart and auto part shops

Sjm9911

Super Active Member
May 31, 2018
Nj
When I got my new brakes and hubs at e trailer I had the same problem. They wouldn't go on , so I used the old ones. They were the corect size. You could sand the part that inserts ibto the hub a bit. Then as stated try to put it on evenly and tap it with a block of wood. Good luck.

Oldspurs

Jan 2, 2022
Central Texas
Take remaining cap off, take it with you to auro parts store of your choice, ask for a pair to match it. That being said, how long has it been since wheel bearings have been packed? I put bearing buddies on all my trailers, both pup, and utility. Makes it easier to give bearings a little grease every so often, more so on long trips. See you on the trail.