Hello! Looking for basic pop up. :)

Apr 5, 2022
It does not have a water heater. We heat water on the stove then pour the hot water into a shower kit to take warm showers in a shower tent.

I would like nothing better than to find a great family to sell my popup to, but I have to be the bearer of bad news. I tend to agree with the others that say your tow vehicle may be overmatched by a pup with a 10 foot box. I tow with a RAM 1500 and my popup even makes my RAM sag more than what I would like. The tongue weight of my popup would exceed your Ford Escape tongue weight capacity even if you are under the tow capacity. 😟

Let me show you the math:

I see that the tongue weight capacity of the 2013 Ford Escape is 350 lbs. (10% of the tow capacity). The weight of my loaded pup is 2,603lbs.. The safe tongue weight of a trailer is 10%-15% of the total weight, making the tongue weight of my pup 260-390 lbs BEFORE the weight of the propane tank and the battery is added. The propane tank weighs around 40 lbs and the battery is around 55 lbs.

Therefor, the MINIMUM tongue weight of my popup is (260+40+55) 355lbs (already above your max). In reality, my tongue weight is probably closer to the maximum weight of (390+40+55) 485lbs. This, unfortunately, is well over your maximum tongue weight. 😟😟😟
gotcha - shoot - okay. Thank you so much for your help and not selling me something we can't handle. Also, this helps because I had no idea about the tongue weight max. So much to learn. I wish you the best in trying to find a buyer.

jerbear

Jun 11, 2015
Indiana
Good afternoon! I am new to this. I have done tons of research on the best camper for my family needs. Based on our budget, I feel a pop up is the best. I have myself, my husband, and my two boys ages 3 and 6. I am looking for something affordable ($5,000 or less) that is light (I drive a 2013 ford escape). I think I'd like a basic pop up that simply provides shelter and a comfortable place to sleep and hang out. I really don't want all the stuff inside the camper other than a couch. I was thinking I'd like to have an awning with a shelter screen around it to attach to the pop up for an outdoor kitchen. It would be great to have a cheap pop up that I could either gut or it would be gutted already. I am not handy, nor is my husband.

My ideal set up is a pop up, with a couch, AC and heat (I'd love to be able to take this anywhere anytime), outdoor shower (so water heater), and then nothing really on the inside but storage and beds. Also an awning with shelter sides. It would be so cool to have a pop up with a kitchen that folds out from the outside (and more than the grill that attaches on the side). The type of campers like this that are out today cost around $30,000-$50,000, so I think for my budget, I'm going to need to do the popl up with an awning, and simply have my own kitchen set up. I've found an ideal kitchen set up on amazon for $150, so not a bad compromise. I'd also like to have it either be solar ready or have solar already attached. I was also going to get a camper toilet that would be portable

I know I'm buying at the high season unfortunately. Wish I would have been more thorough with this in the winter. I want to go on a three week western road trip with my family this July. To rent would be fairly expensive, so I think I should probably either buy a pop up camper, or simply rough it with a tent and air mattress.

Thank you for reading and look forward to brainstorming and networking with you all. :)

-Lindsay Vance
Hi Lindsay , where are you located ? What state? Jerbear

Larry Riker

Jun 10, 2022
Good afternoon! I am new to this. I have done tons of research on the best camper for my family needs. Based on our budget, I feel a pop up is the best. I have myself, my husband, and my two boys ages 3 and 6. I am looking for something affordable ($5,000 or less) that is light (I drive a 2013 ford escape). I think I'd like a basic pop up that simply provides shelter and a comfortable place to sleep and hang out. I really don't want all the stuff inside the camper other than a couch. I was thinking I'd like to have an awning with a shelter screen around it to attach to the pop up for an outdoor kitchen. It would be great to have a cheap pop up that I could either gut or it would be gutted already. I am not handy, nor is my husband.

My ideal set up is a pop up, with a couch, AC and heat (I'd love to be able to take this anywhere anytime), outdoor shower (so water heater), and then nothing really on the inside but storage and beds. Also an awning with shelter sides. It would be so cool to have a pop up with a kitchen that folds out from the outside (and more than the grill that attaches on the side). The type of campers like this that are out today cost around $30,000-$50,000, so I think for my budget, I'm going to need to do the popl up with an awning, and simply have my own kitchen set up. I've found an ideal kitchen set up on amazon for $150, so not a bad compromise. I'd also like to have it either be solar ready or have solar already attached. I was also going to get a camper toilet that would be portable

I know I'm buying at the high season unfortunately. Wish I would have been more thorough with this in the winter. I want to go on a three week western road trip with my family this July. To rent would be fairly expensive, so I think I should probably either buy a pop up camper, or simply rough it with a tent and air mattress.

Thank you for reading and look forward to brainstorming and networking with you all. :)

-Lindsay Vance