Help - Anode Rod

Glamp Queen

Apr 4, 2021
Pickerington, OH
I have a Suburban SW6P water heater. I want to change the anode rod and flush the tank, I don’t think it has ever been done. The rod is blocked by the gas lines. Any ideas on how to get this out?

Attachments

• 1A6592D5-4C72-49AC-B8DE-3824EEF21E5C.jpeg
    1A6592D5-4C72-49AC-B8DE-3824EEF21E5C.jpeg
    223 KB · Views: 19

Glamp Queen

Apr 4, 2021
Pickerington, OH
How do I loosen it? I cant get a socket or a wrench to it. It is rusted. I have been spraying it with WD 40 and trying plyers, but it wont budge. Also the copper line is completely blocking it, it goes all the way to the bottom of the housing and is right in front of the rod. There is no room underneath of it.

jmkay1

2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Oct 10, 2013
Northern Virginia
When mine got stuck like that I had to use PB blaster and let it sit for quite awhile. A wrench extender to help give you the leverage you need could help. I literally had to stand on mine to get it loosened it was stuck solid. Finally got mine to budge a little and it was smoother sailing after that.

Oldspurs

Jan 2, 2022
Central Texas
I agree with jmkay1, PB Blaster, or FreeAll are both great pentrating oils. I would loosen and remove gas line as needed to give yourself a clear path to anode. Remember once you have replaced anode, ( making sure to clean out water tank, clean up threads with a wire brush, use good quality thread compound, tighten securely new anode) reattach gas lines, checking with soapy water that all lines are secure, no leaks, purge gas lines, check for water leaks after filling water heater, reignite water heater, and stand back and admire your handy work. We always say " If all else fails get a bigger hammer". Lol. I hope this helps.. See you on the trail.

Glamp Queen

Apr 4, 2021
Pickerington, OH
Thank you for all your suggestions. I ended up using Deep Creep penetrating oil, because that is what I had on hand. I ended up breaking the pilot light assembly in the process. I had to remove the gas line and the thermocouple as there was no way to get to the anode, the gas line snapped when I tried to remove it. I guess its better to replace it now that have it snap when we are out and about. Anyway, anode is replaced with a nice new one, the old one was completely gone. I also flushed the tank, so hopefully I am good with this project for awhile :). Off to replace the pilot light.

kcsa75

Super Active Member
Gold Supporting Member
Sep 9, 2013
Kansas City
Thank you for all your suggestions. I ended up using Deep Creep penetrating oil, because that is what I had on hand. I ended up breaking the pilot light assembly in the process. I had to remove the gas line and the thermocouple as there was no way to get to the anode, the gas line snapped when I tried to remove it. I guess its better to replace it now that have it snap when we are out and about. Anyway, anode is replaced with a nice new one, the old one was completely gone. I also flushed the tank, so hopefully I am good with this project for awhile :). Off to replace the pilot light.
When you replaced the gas line did you reroute it so you're not faced with the same problem next time?