Help with Mattress

Glamp Queen

Apr 4, 2021
Pickerington, OH
We need to replace our mattresses on our 2002 Coleman Niagra. Both bunk ends are 70x77. I found 2 twin memory foam mattresses on Amazon for one end. This will work for my two kids (and probably keep them from fighting over sharing a bed). The only place I can find the exact mattress size I need is Coleman PopUpParts. They are $299. I have also looked at foam factory for cutting the foam to size, but we then need a cover of some sort and that ends up being around the same price. Any other ideas or hacks? Also, we don't want blow ups. We will be traveling cross country and setting up and breaking down frequently, don't want to have to inflate or deflate.

Thanks
Stephanie

2002 Coleman Niagra
2003 Toyota 4-Runner

bluespruce

Jul 6, 2011
We bought from foam factory last year. We have 2 “king size” bunks and bought 2” of HD regular foam and 2” of Lux regular foam then 2 poly-cotton covers. This was all in a true king size so once we got them home I trimmed them down to size with an electric bread knife and just tucked the cover under the bottom.

My biggest concern was how firm the mattress would be since we couldn’t test it out first. Our old PUP mattresses were spring mattresses and they bottomed out at the hips when sleeping on our sides. This foam combination does not bottom out but it is a touch too firm for my taste. (My wife says it is perfect) We had a 2 week trip last summer and it took me a few nights to get used to the firmness. After that, I actually slept better and my back hurt less then it does on our home mattress.

Attached is a snip of our order. The Lux is on the bottom and the regular foam is on top. We went with regular versus the high quality thinking at most we are in the camper 20-30 nights a season and wouldn’t wear it out for quite a few years. In hindsight, I would maybe go with 1” of lux, 2” of regular foam and 1” of super soft on top to go a little softer. I’m sure other combinations of memory foam or latex would work too but this was pretty cheap ($400) for 2 king mattresses. I also looked at going thicker but our top closes hard already and we didn’t have any extra room for height of mattress.

Attachments

• 4B5456A6-C48E-4B95-AAAA-40C7031D6275.jpeg
    4B5456A6-C48E-4B95-AAAA-40C7031D6275.jpeg
    47.3 KB · Views: 23

Glamp Queen

Apr 4, 2021
Pickerington, OH
We bought from foam factory last year. We have 2 “king size” bunks and bought 2” of HD regular foam and 2” of Lux regular foam then 2 poly-cotton covers. This was all in a true king size so once we got them home I trimmed them down to size with an electric bread knife and just tucked the cover under the bottom.

My biggest concern was how firm the mattress would be since we couldn’t test it out first. Our old PUP mattresses were spring mattresses and they bottomed out at the hips when sleeping on our sides. This foam combination does not bottom out but it is a touch too firm for my taste. (My wife says it is perfect) We had a 2 week trip last summer and it took me a few nights to get used to the firmness. After that, I actually slept better and my back hurt less then it does on our home mattress.

Attached is a snip of our order. The Lux is on the bottom and the regular foam is on top. We went with regular versus the high quality thinking at most we are in the camper 20-30 nights a season and wouldn’t wear it out for quite a few years. In hindsight, I would maybe go with 1” of lux, 2” of regular foam and 1” of super soft on top to go a little softer. I’m sure other combinations of memory foam or latex would work too but this was pretty cheap ($400) for 2 king mattresses. I also looked at going thicker but our top closes hard already and we didn’t have any extra room for height of mattress.

Thank you, I didn't realize there was such a cost difference in the "regular" sizes. Definitely worth cutting them down.

Sneezer

Super Active Member
Aug 8, 2015
DFW, TX
I just got a topper for mine, had to trim it a little with an electric knife so it would fit - I have dual kings. Just had to trim one end that was too long by about 4 or 6 inches I think. I got lucky and found my toppers on clearance at Walmart years ago. Definitely upped the sleep quality after adding them.

happybooker1

Aug 26, 2018
Kingwood Texas
We used blow up mattresses off Amazon with automatic inflate/deflate pumps included. Super easy! Deflated they stay on top with pillows. After we set up we plug 'em in, push the button, and voila! 5 minutes later they're inflated as much or little as we want.