Hi from beautiful Idaho

saranbecker

Aug 27, 2022
Hi all,

Im excited to have become a first time pop up camper owner and be okay of this awesome forum.

The pop up at purchased is a 2001 Coleman Sedona in great condition. Or towing vehicle dies not have the best tow rating, that's why we opted for a smaller trailer.

I have a question right away:

We went on our first camping trip last weekend to check all systems and work through issues. While everything worked as expected we ran into a small hiccup.

During the night our furnace quit producing warm air and starting spewing cold air. Upon checking the propane level was sufficient, the pilot light for the fridge working, but our battery got close to being empty (temps for into freezing).

Could it be that the furnace stopped producing warm air due to the battery running low or do you think there's a different issue?

Thanks again. I'm excited to being part of this amazing forum and will do my best to contribute pictures and knowledge.

Thanks,
SJ

kcsa75

Super Active Member
Gold Supporting Member
Sep 9, 2013
Kansas City
Greetings! Welcome to the the forum from Midway USA.

If the blower was still working I would think you still had juice in the battery. Beyond that, I'm not going to be much help. But rest assured someone will be along that can shed some light on the subject. Probably several someones.

If not you may way to pose your question separately in the heating and cooling forum.

F. Jake Glotz

Sep 1, 2021
Boise Idaho
SJ, I’m also an Idahoan and a popup owner. We had a similar experience on our 2001 Coleman Santa Fe. Our battery voltage was too low to keep the furnace working. It would start blowing, then light and then draw the battery low again then fail and would cycle again. We just pulled on an extra blanket. You might connect to Shore Power to test your furnace to rule out the battery issue. If was working and then stopped working, I would suspect the battery too low to initiate the lighting sequence. The fan has to blow and a certain speed in order for the lighting sequence to finish.

We found that the LP detector connected straight to the battery and would drain the battery down over time when the pop-up is stored. We learned to disconnect the battery and managed it on a battery tender. If our sat in the trailer for a couple of weeks, it would get really low. I have a 12v socket that I plug in a USB adapter that also indicates voltage to monitor the battery.

LilRed

Super Active Member
Jan 9, 2021
Long Island NY
Welcome from NY. Best to you in your new adventures!

If the DC voltage drops too low, the fan in the furnace may not have enough velocity to trigger the sail switch, which would prevent ignition and therefore heat.

F. Jake Glotz

Sep 1, 2021
Boise Idaho
Flying insects and mosquitoes are generally present June through October depending on where you are. Not usually a problem with a dousing of repellent. Idaho doesn’t normally have bugs like chiggars, but ticks can be prevalent. Check that long haired Dachshund. Late in the season wasps can be pesky. Put a sacrificial piece of meat out to draw them away from your table. I’ve never really worried about bugs in Idaho like I did with Chiggars in Texas. Nasty. Temps are dropping now and generally below freezing in the higher elevations. Due to my work schedule, the pop-up is already winterized and ready to tuck away.

saranbecker

Aug 27, 2022
Thank you so much for all of your welcomes and responses.

I ended up connecting to Shore Power and found the furnace working again which leads me to believe the battery voltage had gotten too low.

At home I'll just keep the camper connected to Shore Power to make sure the battery remains fully charged. I am also playing with the idea of adding a solar charging system.

Again, thank you all! Maybe I'll see some of you in person down the road.

saranbecker

Aug 27, 2022
Thank you.

That brings me to another question: Does it make a difference if I connect the battery to Shore Power or a battery tender?

Last edited:

F. Jake Glotz

Sep 1, 2021
Boise Idaho
The converter on the trailer is a great way to charge the battery. You could top off the battery and then disconnect it so the voltage isn’t drawn down by the LP detector. The battery tender automatically applies a charge when it detects a drop in voltage. Longer term, you don’t want to risk overcharging or unnecessary wear on the converter a maintainer is what most here seem to do. Plenty of threads on this site on that.

Susan Premo

Super Active Member
Nov 5, 2020
Minnesota
Flying insects and mosquitoes are generally present June through October depending on where you are. Not usually a problem with a dousing of repellent. Idaho doesn’t normally have bugs like chiggars, but ticks can be prevalent. Check that long haired Dachshund. Late in the season wasps can be pesky. Put a sacrificial piece of meat out to draw them away from your table. I’ve never really worried about bugs in Idaho like I did with Chiggars in Texas. Nasty. Temps are dropping now and generally below freezing in the higher elevations. Due to my work schedule, the pop-up is already winterized and ready to tuck away.
We have chiggers in Minnesota, awful.