Home made cake mix

rinrat86

Sep 29, 2007
Calgary, AB Canada
Hi al, does anybody have a recipe for making their own cake mix? So many camp recipes call for 1 box cake mix, but i am rather put off by the fact that mixes include ingredients such as propylene glycol (yum antifreeze, isnt that why i have whisky?)

Google is failing me - the mixes I have been able to find simply combine the dry ingred, then when you are ready to mix you need to add the butter, milk, eggs and many say to mix 3 minutes with a stand mixer. I already get enough grief from family for bringing too much stuff!

I am hoping somebody will have a mix that uses powdered milk, powdered eggs, and i just need to add water and maybe oil.

If not, i guess i will need to spend my winter experimenting!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

kitphantom

Super Active Member
Platinum Supporting Member
Dec 26, 2009
Albuquerque, NM
This:
http://www.amazon.com/Make---Mix-Karine-Eliason-ebook/dp/B004ZY14HU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1408978362&sr=8-1&keywords=make+a+mix+cookbook
is the updated version of two cookbooks we've had for years. There is a basic baking mix recipe in the first (old) book, which s then used for cakes, cookies, etc. The mix uses solid shortening, but a powdered shortening is available, though I don't know what it contains. While they add fresh eggs, I would assume that you can use one of the egg substitutes or powdered eggs.

pandpcamper

Lifetime camper, newer to pup
Jun 25, 2012
Yum! You could premix your wet ingredients in a mason jar and carry in ice chest. Just be sure to use up fairly early in camping trip. I too don't like the stuff in boxed mixes. And now I have to substitute for gluten free!

rinrat86

Sep 29, 2007
Calgary, AB Canada
I have experimented with the base mix in the Karine Eliason book and it is good. Now to start tweaking to see if it works as well with powdered milk and eggs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk