How America's Largest Cast Iron Pan Factory Makes Almost 2 Million Pans a Month

Wrenchgear

5 Star Eagle Camper
Aug 5, 2010
Near Elmira, Southern Ontario
I have never understood some folk's fascination with cast itron. I find it to be far too heavy and too annoying to maintain.
I'm glad you said that. I have the same opinion. I have a few cast iron things here, but I truly can't cook in them. Everything sticks unless you use tons of oil or butter in the cooking process. I don't want to eat all that grease. Then the whole cleaning of it. You need somewhere to dump all that oil. Don't wash it because you remove all the oil out of the pours, then things stick even worse. I gave up on it all years (10) ago.
I always like these videos though, cool stuff.

jmkay1

2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Oct 10, 2013
Northern Virginia
I have never understood some folk's fascination with cast itron. I find it to be far too heavy and too annoying to maintain.
. Cast iron has its place, in particular over a open fire and with a Dutch oven I can bake even without having an oven in the camper. I agree it’s too heavy and it takes a ton of work and cooking to build that non stick seasoning. So I don’t use it at home, but mainly at camp or with a Dutch oven group to get practice and enjoy a great potluck. I only got into it because I was looking to try other camp meals to try over an open fire. Funny thing, no one in my family cooked with cast iron in all my years. So I jumped into it blind. At home I love my regular nonstick “todays world” pans but getting even cooking over an open fire and to do all kinds of cooking with just coals or fire it comes in handy. As ancient as it sounds, I do enjoy cooking over a fire especially at camp. I guess my tent camping days taught me to appreciate it.

neighbormike

Super Active Member
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 6, 2012
WI
This is perfect timing! I am currently resurfacing a cheapo Amazon skillet… in the oven right now for it’s first seasoning… started out rough as heck - we’ll see how it turns out!

jmkay1

2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Oct 10, 2013
Northern Virginia
This is perfect timing! I am currently resurfacing a cheapo Amazon skillet… in the oven right now for it’s first seasoning… started out rough as heck - we’ll see how it turns out!
Good luck. My brother decided to take a sander to his Amazon pot as it was extremely rough as well. 14 seasonings later it looked really pretty good. So it’s very doable but will take some work and your oven will be getting a workout. Even my lodge fresh out of its box took 10 seasonings to be usable.

neighbormike

Super Active Member
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 6, 2012
WI
Good luck. My brother decided to take a sander to his Amazon pot as it was extremely rough as well. 14 seasonings later it looked really pretty good. So it’s very doable but will take some work and your oven will be getting a workout. Even my lodge fresh out of its box took 10 seasonings to be usable.
I sanded it down after work (Roloc disc, then palm sander)… washed it and got one round of seasoning done… wasn’t going for glass smooth, but looking ok so far…
B144D7F4-61BA-43BB-8F99-1EE44A30916B.jpeg D17AFB88-03CE-4D7E-B87F-81C34A269F98.jpeg

Sjm9911

Super Active Member
May 31, 2018
Nj
Ill take them! Lol.
I love cast iron. More at home then camping, but I do have one frying pan 8n the camper. If maintained it will last for years, and if not you can still sand the rust off and season it. You cant have one of those glass top stoves. But for a quick flash fry on the gas stove top, and put the whole thing in the oven to finish it off, you cant beat it. I just made this, a staple in this area. You cant make it proper without cast iron to hold the heat and get the nice sear.
https://www.seriouseats.com/chicken-savoy-belmont-tavern-new-jersey

kcsa75

Super Active Member
Gold Supporting Member
Sep 9, 2013
Kansas City
Ill take them! Lol.
I love cast iron. More at home then camping, but I do have one frying pan 8n the camper. If maintained it will last for years, and if not you can still sand the rust off and season it. You cant have one of those glass top stoves. But for a quick flash fry on the gas stove top, and put the whole thing in the oven to finish it off, you cant beat it. I just made this, a staple in this area. You cant make it proper without cast iron to hold the heat and get the nice sear.
https://www.seriouseats.com/chicken-savoy-belmont-tavern-new-jersey

Chicken Savoy looks and sounds great. Will you share the recipe? I can keep a secret. :)

Sjm9911

Super Active Member
May 31, 2018
Nj
Chicken Savoy looks and sounds great. Will you share the recipe? I can keep a secret. :)
https://www.saveur.com/article/Recipes/Stretchs-Chicken-Savoy/?amp
This is pretty much how i make it. Use a good chese if you got it if not any grated chese will do. Hint, I sometimes use the mandolin to make potato slices, real thin, brown them first, remove from the pan, then did the chicken, put it all together in the oven. And add the red wine vinger last. Chicken thighs work well for this also.