How America's Largest Cast Iron Pan Factory Makes Almost 2 Million Pans a Month

Jimbow

Super Active Member
Silver Supporting Member
Nov 30, 2012
Ill take them! Lol.
You cant have one of those glass top stoves.
Don't tell my glass top stove that. I have a cast iron dutch oven of black eyed peas cooking away on it as I type this. There is a learning curve with cast iron but once you get in the groove you will love it. Holds heat, cooks very even, no hot spots, and will last forever. Once it is seasoned the oil is more for flavor than to keep food from sticking.

Sjm9911

Super Active Member
May 31, 2018
Nj
Yea, for that its good, for say making something where im moving the frying pan a lot , not so good for the glass top. So, I could never use it for that, in fact I would never use a electric cooktop at home period. First thing I did when I moved was to run a gas line for the stove. All good, just not for me.

tombiasi

Super Active Member
Sep 1, 2012
Northwestern New Jersey
Don't tell my glass top stove that. I have a cast iron dutch oven of black eyed peas cooking away on it as I type this. There is a learning curve with cast iron but once you get in the groove you will love it. Holds heat, cooks very even, no hot spots, and will last forever. Once it is seasoned the oil is more for flavor than to keep food from sticking.
There should not be any oil on the pan that is not being used for cooking. The seasoning process polymerizes the oil so it is really no longer oil. There should be no oil in the pores so a soapy wash will not hurt anything.

Wrenchgear

5 Star Eagle Camper
Aug 5, 2010
Near Elmira, Southern Ontario
Your pan is not seasoned correctly.
All I know is that I watched many youtubes on how to season it. I don't remember anymore how to do it, but there was something about oiling it and putting it in the oven upside down for a few hours at a high temp like 450 or 500 or something. That was 8 or 10 years ago now, I don't remember how it all went. I did it a couple to times because people were recommending to do that. Tried cooking eggs in it numerous times, and got nothing but a bunch of eggs stuck to the bottom. Tried other things like bacon and porkchops and such, but everything just got stuck. We took it camping and tried stuff there, but it was all too tough to deal with at the campsite. Brought home and never used it again. Every once in a while I see it out in the garage, all rusted to pieces, and I think that maybe I should sand it down and give it another go, but I never seem to get around to doing it.

WoNHUSA

Jan 19, 2021
I had used some cast iron in the past without luck, probably because I did not know what the heck I was doing. We got a couple of Lodge skillets a few years ago and use them all the time and we love them. We have the 15-inch skillet, which is heavy but works amazing for burgers, steaks, and everything else we have cooked in it. We have even used the skillets to bake banana bread and to make roasts in the oven. The skillets are the best non-stick pans we have ever used...if you are having problems with food sticking then you are doing something wrong (in my opinion). Clean up is easy and keeping them seasoned is simple. We just got the lodge pizza baking pan and have only used it once...but the pizza just slid off the pan when we were done baking...Lodge Cast Iron is the best!
That video was great, it is always great to know where things come from...thanks for sharing!