How do you cook liver?

tenttrailer

Art & Joyce - Columbus, O
Jul 18, 2013
Thornville, OH
DW cooks great beef liver. She starts with some bacon in the pan for flavor and oil. Then onions until they are translucent, quick sear the liver and cook until it just reach well done and out of the pan. You have to eat it while its warm. Its so tender. Its the best. But she only cooks it about every other year.

To get my liver fix. I do have two places that serve almost as good liver. Both are in the next towns over in different directions or about 15 miles away.

Last edited:

RCmom

Jun 19, 2021
New Jersey
I remember my mother cooking liver and onions for my father when I was a child. Or more accurately, I remember the Pyrex bowl in the refrigerator with liver soaking in milk with onion slices.
This is her recipe.

Fresh beef liver or calves liver soaked in whole milk with Vidalia onion slices at least 10 hours in a covered glass dish (or zip lock bag) avoid metal bowls and utensils. The longer the soak, the less "tanginess" it will have according to my mom.
In a skillet, saute diced onion and diced bacon until the bacon is cooked but not crispy . (Don't use the milk onion). While this cooks, remove the liver from the milk and onion bath and let it rest. Remove the onions and bacon from the skillet. Turn the skillet heat down to a low medium temperature and add the liver. 1 minute on each side, then cook to desired doneness (total cook time is only about 5 minutes for medium). Top with onions and bacon for the last minute.

Econ

Super Active Member
Aug 18, 2019
Deep South
Recently, I learned the secret to eating liver and want to share it with every body who shared their suggestions without BUllsh^t. Am the originator of the thread. Liver is very healthy it just taste like crap, no longer. The complainer's mama was a terrible cook.

You need to eat 3 to 5 ounces a week. No need for additional vitamins or minerals except for D-3 and iodine.

@BikeNFish . wis and minnisota , S and north Dakota have bad average iodine and d-3 levels

This went thru several phases. At first it was sear raw to about 1/16" deep, drown with golden brown mustard and chew fast. Then it needed less than half a bottle. per bite.<GG> Then it happened. the cure.

There is an older Gringo grocery store of decent size that was converted to a mexican grocery with a cafeteria. You can reconize the management because of the 20 employees they are the ones who speak English. The products have Spanish labels. The meat from Mexico. The manager followed me around interpreting. There there was the meat counter. Chicken Hearts (fried) great for your heart. chicken feet for colligen broth with beef hoof and knees for the same. OxTail and then marrow bone for free. The gringos charge 5.00/pound for marrow bones. Then I saw. The cure. The liver. Here is what I speculate.

I was eating frozen Gringo liver for the past year. The Mexican was fresh FRESH. That's it Fresh , seared and no other preparation. Is it Rib Eye? no. better than hamburger? Yes

Try it.

Allamakee County

May 13, 2016
Allamakee County, Iowa
Mom would slice it, boil it for maybe 6 minutes, then drain it, dredge it in flour and spices and fry it in butter with big slices of onions. Sometimes she would add a little liquid smoke to it somewhere - maybe in the breading stage. It was kind of a treat because she would not trust store-bought liver and only cooked liver when we bought a beef off the farm, which was not very often.

I thought it was okay when I was a kid. I crave it every once in a while now as an adult, but I have to make it when nobody else is home.

Sep 25, 2021
Lamb liver. You'll never go back to beef. Cook bacon, cook onions in bacon fat (caramelized) then lightly cook liver with a bit of garlic salt. Melts in your mouth.

Susan Premo

Super Active Member
Nov 5, 2020
Minnesota
If you are a child and dont eat what is good for you I don't want to have to sort thru your "I hate liver bullsht."

I dont like the taste of beef liver. How do I make it more palatable? I am down to eating it rare, searing it about a minute on each side.

Thanks
My mom did the bacon and onion too. Maybe BikeNFish and I moms knew each other or it's a midwest thing, but I do remember my mom saying it was calves liver, which sort of sucks, and you can't find that anyway. But I liked it.

Latest posts