Intake for RV anti-freeze in my PUP?

raising4daughters

Aug 24, 2019
In the Fall of 2019, we bought a NTUS 2008 HW PUP from a dealer. They offered to winterize and store it for us, so we took them up. Fall of 2020 and 2021, we required a little post-season maintenance, so I had the dealer do the winterizing again. This year, I have no need to involve a dealer, so I thought I'd do it myself since I winterized our prior PUP 2010-2018.

I just realized that our prior PUP has a separate hose connected to the pump specifically for winterizing. All I had to do was open a valve, stick the hose in the anti-freeze container, open the faucets on the sink and shower, and turn the pump on 'til I saw pink. Easy peasy.

This PUP doesn't have the same separate hose, so I'm not sure how to introduce the anti-freeze to the system. My dealer told me they use a separate pump and pump through the city water connection. I don't have an external pump.

Any other ideas or methods? It's a Flagstaff 2008 HW 27SC.

Dave2514g

Sep 2, 2019
Ontario, Canada
Our trailer has a tee fitting attached on a short stub from the fresh water tank.

In one position it blocks all flow, in another it connects the fresh tank to the line feeding the pump. In the last position it connects an open end to the line feeding the pump.

I attach a hose to the unused portion of the tee and run that into my antifreeze jug... turn the valve to correct position and run the pump and it draws in the antifreeze.

Take a look under your trailer; hopefully you have the same

Even if not, it wouldn't be hard to add

xxxapache

Super Active Member
Jul 30, 2008
RV pump for putting antifreeze in via the fresh water connection:

The only issue I see with doing it from the fresh water supply is you may still have water in the pump and likely will need to disconnect the inlet hose on the pump to drain the water.

I use air via the fresh water connection, then pump antifreeze in using the trailers water pump. For the first few years, I just disconnected the fresh water intake line and put on a hose made with parts from the hardware store to suck the antifreeze out of the jug. A couple of years ago, I put in a winterizing kit like pictured above.

raising4daughters

Aug 24, 2019
Awesome ideas, everyone. Since both our PUPs were bought used, I've never been quite sure what was original equipment. Our first PUP had much what @Raycfe showed, just wasn't sure if it was aftermarket or original.

I'll get under the trailer tomorrow if the rain holds off and see if it has a tee like the one in the pic posted by @Dave2514g.

If that fails, I'll purchase the kit. Rather pay that than the dealer's fee for this.

Snow

Super Active Member
Jul 19, 2007
Ontario
Three ways you can do it..
1- is to install a winterizing kit
2- remove the suction hose for the pump either from the fresh water tank or right at the pump, if you remove from the pump a handheld shower hose works perfect ad the temporary suction hose.
3- the poor persons way, dump the antifreeze into the fresh water tank.

All three will work just fine.

Dave2514g

Sep 2, 2019
Ontario, Canada
Three ways you can do it..
1- is to install a winterizing kit
2- remove the suction hose for the pump either from the fresh water tank or right at the pump, if you remove from the pump a handheld shower hose works perfect ad the temporary suction hose.
3- the poor persons way, dump the antifreeze into the fresh water tank.

All three will work just fine.

I've used all 3 methods as I didn't realize I had the tee plumbed below.

Just a heads up that no. 3 requires way more antifreeze to accomplish the same task.

I can get by easily with 1/2 a gallon. (Only have inside sink and outdoor shower) but if I draw from the tank I need about 1.5 to 2.5 gal to reach the pump.

raising4daughters

Aug 24, 2019
Thanks. Yes, I should've mentioned that the water tank is plumbed with a bypass. And, yes, I realize I could pour anti-freeze into the freshwater tank but, for two reasons, I don't want to do that. First, that approach then requires a cleanout since we don't want to be ingesting anti-freeze. Sure, I clean it out with bleach every Spring, but really want to avoid leaving any in there. Second, as others stated here, I believe I'd need to use a lot more anti-freeze. So, trying to avoid using the fresh water tank.

raising4daughters

Aug 24, 2019
I just ordered the Camco pump converter winterizing kit suggested above. If I can't get that working, I really like the manual pump option above as a back up.

Snow

Super Active Member
Jul 19, 2007
Ontario
Thanks. Yes, I should've mentioned that the water tank is plumbed with a bypass. And, yes, I realize I could pour anti-freeze into the freshwater tank but, for two reasons, I don't want to do that. First, that approach then requires a cleanout since we don't want to be ingesting anti-freeze. Sure, I clean it out with bleach every Spring, but really want to avoid leaving any in there. Second, as others stated here, I believe I'd need to use a lot more anti-freeze. So, trying to avoid using the fresh water tank.
You might use 1 gallon more dumping it into the tank, depends on how high or low the pickup is.

It is recommended that you sanitize the entire water system at least once a year.

Stephen_D

Sep 26, 2016
In the Fall of 2019, we bought a NTUS 2008 HW PUP from a dealer. They offered to winterize and store it for us, so we took them up. Fall of 2020 and 2021, we required a little post-season maintenance, so I had the dealer do the winterizing again. This year, I have no need to involve a dealer, so I thought I'd do it myself since I winterized our prior PUP 2010-2018.

I just realized that our prior PUP has a separate hose connected to the pump specifically for winterizing. All I had to do was open a valve, stick the hose in the anti-freeze container, open the faucets on the sink and shower, and turn the pump on 'til I saw pink. Easy peasy.

This PUP doesn't have the same separate hose, so I'm not sure how to introduce the anti-freeze to the system. My dealer told me they use a separate pump and pump through the city water connection. I don't have an external pump.

Any other ideas or methods? It's a Flagstaff 2008 HW 27SC.
Small plastic sharkbite or menards brand "T" will work before your pump. 2 shut off valves, one to the tank and one to the tube going to the gallon jug of antifreeze. Turn off the water tank valve, open the antifreeze valve and open the sink. it will suck the anti freeze through the lines, my pup only has a sink for water so I don't take a pint. In the spring I fill the water tank and add a couple oz of disinfecting bleach and rinse a couple of times, never had any problems since. My pup using plastic water line like you find behind your fridge for the ice filler. Cheap and quick.

bigm23

Jul 5, 2022
Alberta
I know I am going to have to figure out best way myself for our old used trailer we got. The outside city connector is not even connected inside to anything and no where to go. Can tell someone did their own thing. Was glad I checked it all before connecting to water otherwise would of just gone inside and flooded the whole camper. I may have to pour the jug in manually and pump it through the main pump. I don't want it to break on our first winter with it cause didn't drain and winterize properly. Our first trailer.

Sjm9911

Super Active Member
May 31, 2018
Nj
When I had the pup I just dumped it into the water tank and flowed it through all the flaucets. I did bypass the water heater. It used a little more antifreeze but as I still had to flush everything after the winter, fresh water tank included, it wasnt really a bother. My TT does not have a gravity fill, but it does have the siphon off the pump to winterize. That works also. I like antifreeze over blowing out with air. Just seems to be more fool proof in colder areas. I also dump antifreeze in the drains to make sure the traps dont freeze. I rather spend for 3 gallons of antifreeze then have to fix or repair stuff after the winter. This works for me.

Jun 28, 2019
OH
I have read all of the reply's to your issue about winterizing your pup and there is a few issues
First and foremost I am a chemist and I feel that putting RV antifreeze into you potable water line is not advised it doesnt matter what the label states I wouldn't want the chemicals ingested in my body
The best way in my opinion is to drain your system and then used compressor to blow out the remaining water out of your lines the residual water left will not affect the integrity of the pipes as long as almost all the water is removed and there are no dips or bellies in the lines freezing water will expand the easiest route and usually usually ( but not always) will not freeze and rupture your pipes

Snow

Super Active Member
Jul 19, 2007
Ontario
Considering all the chemicals that are used in foods these days, any residual rv antifreeze that may remain in the water lines after sanitizing and rinsing the water system in the spring will be negligible by comparison..