Is it normal for the water pump to make noise whenever it is on?

Paul Zimmer

Silver Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2021
Roseville, CA
Our water pump makes noise continuously once you turn on the switch. Is this normal? I ask because our campervan (the TV) only makes noise when the pressure drops - i.e. when the water is running. Is my PuP water pump defective or is this just the way they work ('95 Coleman Utah). Thanks!

jmkay1

2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Oct 10, 2013
Northern Virginia
I agree with the others. The leak doesn’t have to be much either I found. Even the smallest of leaks can cause the pump to make a lot of noise. In my case it was the outside shower. It could also be something like a plastic fitting developing a crack.

tfischer

A bad day camping beats a good day at the office
When I first got our camper, the water pump would make a "burp, burp, burp, burp..." sound, about one 'burp' per second. There was no actual 'leak' but what we figured was it was losing pressure back into the water tank. I was going to replace the pump but figuring I had nothing to lose, I took it apart, cleaned out the wet head, put it back together, and it's been working perfectly for 8 years now.

tfischer

A bad day camping beats a good day at the office
They work good for not having to (have the wife) turn on the pump at 0300 when she flushes the toilet..

The one I looked at was quite tiny... maybe a liter or two of water. It was mostly designed to eliminate the "machine gun" effect when you aren't using much water.

With storage space in the pup being precious, I wouldn't want to put a big tank in.

Snow

Super Active Member
Jul 19, 2007
Ontario
The one I looked at was quite tiny... maybe a liter or two of water. It was mostly designed to eliminate the "machine gun" effect when you aren't using much water.

With storage space in the pup being precious, I wouldn't want to put a big tank in.
That's the size I've looked at.. it would hold enough for two flushes..