Is motorized crank worth it?

UrbanCamper

Jul 12, 2011
Thinking about trading in the Fleetwood and buying one from a company that believes in quality and is still in business! One thing the wife keeps asking about is getting a PUP with a motorirized crank for getting the top up and down. Do most motorized crank models still have a manual crank as a failsafe? Is the motor worth it or is it just something else that can/will go wrong with the PUP??

yogi

Aug 13, 2008
Portland, Oregon
Our Utah has a power lift and we love it. It also has a had crank. We never went out looking for a power one, but just happened to be on the used one that we bought. What is wrong with your Utah? Is it having quality issues?

UrbanCamper

Jul 12, 2011
The legs broke off the kitchen table the first time we used it.* The crank stopped working properly after less than a year (bad wiffle tree). The slide out just needed a roller replaced (along with sheet metal and hoses). Definitely not a happy camper as far as the Fleetwood goes.

*I learned a trick for replacing shoddy tables: If you live near an IKEA, go there and purchase a tabletop/countertop (or spare dresser/bookshelf side) from their spare parts section. Only limitation is the thickness of the piece because it has to be as close to the original as possible or it may create problems when closing PUP. Cut it to size, add the legs and voila!

bheff

Super Active Member
Feb 24, 2011
NW Arkansas
IMHO, YES they are worth it. Our Rockwood Freedom also has a failsafe in the event the motor goes out. I asked the service manager how many they have had to replace and he just laughed. He told me he had to look up the price for a new one since they have never replaced one, and he wanted to know. $89

Hyperterex

Super Active Member
Jan 1, 2010
I'm sorry to here about your Utah. I think you just got a bad one somehow. I have an 08 Fleetwood Arcadia and so far so good, only 1 minor problem but its fixed.

I do have a power lift that came with my Arcadia. I love it. There is one thing that you have to know, your battery better be charged. If its really low or dead, the lift will NOT work. You will then have to manually crank it up.

steversssss

Jun 22, 2011
My Flagstaff has a motorized crank.........good thing too...I killed the battery one time and had to hand crank up and down........I would say it took maybe 8 or 900 cranks to get it up , then the same to get it down. Just the way it's geared. The one problem if it is a problem, is that I have to watch the safety wire and make sure I don't go past tight when going up.

Orchid

Sharp Shootin' Grandma
May 8, 2011
Florida by way of WV and MD
So the motorized ones are harder if you have to do it manually?

Papachaz just added a motorized winch on his from Tractor Supply for $59 I think. I'm not sure if he can still hand crank in a pinch or not. I would like to have one, but no idea where to put a battery on the back of my pup.

gusbell

Apr 3, 2011
If I got one, the first thing I would do would be pigtail a connection on it and the TV's battery so if my battery died, I could pull the TV over and use it to put it up/down.

ShaunWhite

Aug 2, 2011
What I did was went out and bought one of those "jumper starter boxes" for $40 at Pep Boys and keep it in the front storage area. Its a lot easier then having to get the truck, pop the hood and put drain on the trucks battery. You may also want to invest in a trickle charger to keep the charge up while your pup sits awaiting its next adventure.

Ksuburban

Mar 13, 2011
My Rockwood has a motorized crank and I like it. It was not something that I was specificly looking for when I bought it, but it is nice.

jeremyemt

Emily's Daddy
Jun 25, 2011
My Utah came with a motorized crank and I love it. Not so fun when the battery is dead and it takes 10 - 15 min to crank it up though. Well worth the extra $$$. Not sure how much it is but spend the extra cash. There is a auto stop when popped up and closed down.

Full Circle

Greely, Ontario, Canada
Apr 4, 2009
Greely, Ontario
yogi said:
Our Utah has a power lift and we love it. It also has a had crank. We never went out looking for a power one, but just happened to be on the used one that we bought.

Same for us!

Orchid said:
So the motorized ones are harder if you have to do it manually?

Not harder as in more stiff or more strength needed. It just takes a lot more time to crank because of the gearing involved, more revolutions.

desertlady

Sep 3, 2011
I like the idea of lifting the roof with the socket Jenie and power drill. Do you know your at the top when you hear the clicking stop like hand cranking, or can you feel something slowing down while using the drill? I see you use Bosch drill. I think Home Depot sells them, but if not any other drill suggestions?
[PU] [TV]

pmikeyd

Jun 27, 2010
I love our motorized lift. It was one of the selling points and I'm really glad we have it. Our last trip out we had a charging problem (turned out to be a popped fuse) and we had to crank it by hand. The estimates of several hundred cranks are accurate. I hope I never have to hand crank it again. It wasn't difficult because it is really low-geared, but it took FOREVER. It did give my kids something to help with though. [A]

RonB

Jun 8, 2011
In my personal opinion; no they are not worth it. I am an old coot and I can lift by hand pretty much as quick as the motorized versions I have seen in campgrounds.

The crank and I have fewer moving parts. My parts squeak but they still work.

RonB