Is my winterizing complete?

raising4daughters

Aug 24, 2019
With the help forum members provided on another thread, I got our HW PUP winterized without issue. Installed the adaptor kit and pumped the antifreeze into the sink, indoor shower, and outdoor shower. Unfortunately, I had left one of the indoor shower handles on, so I lost some antifreeze down into the gray water tank, but that was my only issue.

As I was emptying the gray water tank, I began to wonder if I was supposed to do any winterizing to the toilet. If so, how? With a flush while the pump is on? I've still got time and antifreeze if my job isn't really complete.

Thanks!

BikeNFish

Super Active Member
Apr 24, 2017
Maplewood, MN
I began to wonder if I was supposed to do any winterizing to the toilet.
Absolutely winterize the toilet's water line.

Most people forget or don't know that the seal must be maintained just like any other moving part of your camper. Just use some plumbers grease on the toilet seal (the black O-ring). Doing this in addition to leaving some of the antifreeze in the bowl will greatly extend the life of the seal.

I had left one of the indoor shower handles on, so I lost some antifreeze down into the gray water tank
Not a big deal.

Some people will completely winterize with antifreeze, then drain it all out before they store their RV. This method is done in areas where the temperature can drop below -50 degrees F (-46*C). Contrary to it's name, RV antifreeze does freeze, but it does not expand like water until it gets below -50*F. Therefore, it would behoove you to drain the antifreeze if you live in an area where the temperature could drop below -50*F.

rob.mwpropane

Aug 11, 2021
Does anyone just blow their lines out with air instead of antifreeze?

I was planning (hoping) to use my little pancake compressor to set the psi very low (say 15psi) and turn each faucet on a few times... any thoughts on that?

kcsa75

Super Active Member
Gold Supporting Member
Sep 9, 2013
Kansas City
Blowing out the lines is very common. Have someone help you open one faucet at a time while blowing air through the lines.

I would still put some pink stuff in the traps and toilet bowl.

tfh715

Apr 15, 2013
I'll blow the lines out then run the RV antifreezethroughdistribute dryer sheets through out. Also make sure that you have any and all holes, cracks, etc sealed so that mice and squirrels cannot get in. I use wire screen over holes then shoot with foam. In smaller holes or cracks stuff steel wool in. Nothing worse than critters chewing on wires and stuff the cupboards with nuts. I also distribute dryer sheets throughout the interior. It always worked for my parents so I do the same. Inside drawers, cupboards, storage under seats, under/over the beds etc. And of course leave no food or paper goods behind.

Sjm9911

Super Active Member
May 31, 2018
Nj
Some have had sucess blowing out the lines for many years, untill the year they didnt. Its your camper and your decision. I always use the antifreeze. Only takes a gal or 2, so for 6 bucks your done.

Steve Farley

Sep 20, 2017
With the help forum members provided on another thread, I got our HW PUP winterized without issue. Installed the adaptor kit and pumped the antifreeze into the sink, indoor shower, and outdoor shower. Unfortunately, I had left one of the indoor shower handles on, so I lost some antifreeze down into the gray water tank, but that was my only issue.

As I was emptying the gray water tank, I began to wonder if I was supposed to do any winterizing to the toilet. If so, how? With a flush while the pump is on? I've still got time and antifreeze if my job isn't really complete.

Thanks!
I also take out anything that may freeze, cleaning solutions etc.

Dave2514g

Sep 2, 2019
Ontario, Canada
Does anyone just blow their lines out with air instead of antifreeze?

I was planning (hoping) to use my little pancake compressor to set the psi very low (say 15psi) and turn each faucet on a few times... any thoughts on that?
I do... but then paranoia, or maybe my OCD tendancies, force me to also add antifreeze after.

I have definitely heard of people just using air, so it must work fine, but I sleep better doing both.

karen Hoffmeister

Nov 6, 2021

Thanks!
Yes. Put rv antifreeze in bowl and flush. The leave some antifreeze in the bowl. Supposedly to protect haskets

kitphantom

Super Active Member
Platinum Supporting Member
Dec 26, 2009
Albuquerque, NM
We leave a combination of pink antifreeze and toilet seal conditioner in the toilet after pumping pink though the lines. It does seem to help keep the gasket from drying out. So far, we have not had to replace that toilet gasket seal and the trailer is 8 years old. Given our arid climate and how rubber-type products last, that’s a good track record.
It does evaporate a bit so I’ll add a bit more once or twice through the winter (I add a bit of pink to the sink trap too). It ends up like a thick gel by the time we de-winterize to I let it soak with water during that process.

karen Hoffmeister

Nov 6, 2021
We leave a combination of pink antifreeze and toilet seal conditioner in the toilet after pumping pink though the lines. It does seem to help keep the gasket from drying out. So far, we have not had to replace that toilet gasket seal and the trailer is 8 years old. Given our arid climate and how rubber-type products last, that’s a good track record.
It does evaporate a bit so I’ll add a bit more once or twice through the winter (I add a bit of pink to the sink trap too). It ends up like a thick gel by the time we de-winterize to I let it soak with water during that process.
That is good to know. Are you saying the pink stuff gels ? Or just the gasket stuff?

kitphantom

Super Active Member
Platinum Supporting Member
Dec 26, 2009
Albuquerque, NM
That is good to know. Are you saying the pink stuff gels ? Or just the gasket stuff?
The pink stuff is an alcohol product and it does evaporate on its own, we live in an arid climate so it may behave differently elsewhere. Our relative humidity is generally under 40%, often much lower.
Pink will gel, as I understand it too (not evaporated) when it get cold enough. Pink doesn’t expand like water does, which is why it protective of the water lines.
We usually have the combo of products in the toilet, they are compatible (I checked), so not sure if one is the other would make the gel we get on it’s own. Doesn’t hurt a thing, the combo makes an interesting purple color, the seal conditioner is blue.

LilRed

Super Active Member
Jan 9, 2021
Long Island NY
I found blowing out the system then running pink through everything ensured any remaining water tucked somewhere was treated or diluted enough for protection. As others cite, its a two bottle insurance investment.

karen Hoffmeister

Nov 6, 2021
The pink stuff is an alcohol product and it does evaporate on its own, we live in an arid climate so it may behave differently elsewhere. Our relative humidity is generally under 40%, often much lower.
Pink will gel, as I understand it too (not evaporated) when it get cold enough. Pink doesn’t expand like water does, which is why it protective of the water lines.
We usually have the combo of products in the toilet, they are compatible (I checked), so not sure if one is the other would make the gel we get on it’s own. Doesn’t hurt a thing, the combo makes an interesting purple color, the seal conditioner is blue.
Thanks. Now. If we just had a toilet in ours...ha ha. Do have an out door shower though..
And unlike your situation, ours Will freeze in NH
But all data to compile is good.
Thanks.

kcsa75

Super Active Member
Gold Supporting Member
Sep 9, 2013
Kansas City
In our area, you can usually find RV Antifreeze pretty cheap early in the season -- $3 to $4 a gallon at Walmart, Lowe's, etc. With all the price gouging going on now it may be a little more.