Is my winterizing complete?

tfischer

A bad day camping beats a good day at the office
I disagree with using sticky traps, or any other type of baited traps inside your camper. You don't want food of any kind in the camper which could cause mice to chew their way in. Sticky traps come pre-baited.

Sjm9911

Super Active Member
May 31, 2018
Nj
I never had a problem with them, or mice for that matter. We have mice in the yard, when the cats went out they caught them. But, not in the camper. I figure if they do get in , I rather them caught on the glue trap then nesting and chewing everything up. But , whatever works for you. I buy the traps in a 72 pack. Garage gets them 2x a year also.

Sjm9911

Super Active Member
May 31, 2018
Nj
Plus , we have cave crickets here, you dont want them in the camper. Or anywhere else for that matter. They are a pita to controll. Thats why the spray poison also. Plus it helps to spray the house 2x a year.

tfischer

To be honest I'm not a fan of glue traps, period. While I don't love mice, the few times I've used them, seeing the mouse being tortured to death, screaming, writhing in pain... I don't wish that even on a mouse.

LilRed

Super Active Member
Jan 9, 2021
Long Island NY
Plus , we have cave crickets here, you dont want them in the camper. Or anywhere else for that matter. They are a pita to controll. Thats why the spray poison also. Plus it helps to spray the house 2x a year.
Stupid hoppies scare the bejesus if you’re not expecting them. I hate them in my basement. Never dreamed how bad they could be if in the camper. Ugh!

kitphantom

Super Active Member
Platinum Supporting Member
Dec 26, 2009
Albuquerque, NM
Thanks. Now. If we just had a toilet in ours...ha ha. Do have an out door shower though..
And unlike your situation, ours Will freeze in NH
But all data to compile is good.
Thanks.
(I am originaly from WNY and went to college in Northern NY, so I get cold weather, believe it or not, we have it too in the SW.) Our temps will fall to zero at least once during the winter, some years we have a streak of below zero, we always have temps in the teens, so properly winterizing is necessary. We had the advantage of going to the seminar our dealer has given twice.They had a hot water tank, the 6 gallon size, that had been left filled, frozen, and ruptured - really good incentive to make sure we winterize well. They also showed why just blowing out the system isn't a sure thing, that water drops left in the piping or faucet parts can gather and freeze in a limited area. That's why we blow out the system, then pink it, with the water heater on bypass. The water heater is drained and rinsed, no pink. We add a bit of pink to the waste tanks, as we flush pink through the system, we do add the antifreeze to the sink trap. The shower trap is a type that doesn't hold water so doesn't need it, not that we use the shower. We do flush the shower faucet though, both for winterizing and de-winterizing, then sanitizing, because it's all in the system.
Shoulder seasons, we may blow the system out if we're going to have a few colder nights. Most years, our last trip is US Thanksgiving, so we winterize right after it. We can have some freezing nights before that, so we'll blow out the system if we think it will be below 28 for more than a couple of hours. It gets really interesting to guess how the temps will behave, because our temperature swing are larger than we were used to back east. (We also leave an electric radiator inside, set to keep the temp around 50*, cover off spaces where the water pump and sink drain are. since the fridge is usually on and stocked, we have to keep it warm enough in the camper that it will run correctly.)

Last edited:

karen Hoffmeister

Nov 6, 2021
I disagree with using sticky traps, or any other type of baited traps inside your camper. You don't want food of any kind in the camper which could cause mice to chew their way in. Sticky traps come pre-baited.
We dont use sticky traps.
The small black plastic containers have a chunk of mouse food they eat. Cannt catch their breath and leave to the outside the same way they came in.
You can get refills for the chunks as well.

tfischer

We dont use sticky traps.
The small black plastic containers have a chunk of mouse food they eat. Cannt catch their breath and leave to the outside the same way they came in.
You can get refills for the chunks as well.
I stick to my belief that any food (including bait) inside a popup in storage is bad. But I respect that others have systems that work for them.

karen Hoffmeister

Nov 6, 2021
I stick to my belief that any food (including bait) inside a popup in storage is bad. But I respect that others have systems that work for them.
This is not food. It is poison mouse blocks. No, we take all food out. Vacuum for crumbs, remove towels bed linnens etc.
And take the cushions into the house and store th in a well travelled room.