July 2022 - what did you do for your camper?

kitphantom

Super Active Member
Platinum Supporting Member
Dec 26, 2009
Albuquerque, NM
Happy first day of July! Summertime for most of us, save for a few from the southern side of the globe. We have Australians, do we have any from NZ, South Africa or other Southern Hemisphere campers?

Battery charge reminder for those needing it here.

Too early to have done anything for ours. I may use it for a project later today, before it gets too hot. We're not heading out for the long weekend, just as happy to stay home with all the crowds that seems to be going somewhere this year. Our forests and such have opened up, except those still in active fire status, so if anything, Courtenay will take a long hike on Monday. Maybe we can get some maintenance done on the trailer.

Allamakee County

May 13, 2016
Allamakee County, Iowa
Not done this month but I didn't post when I did it. Made this mesh storage thingie for over the bunk. Handy for eyeglasses, book, phone, pajamas, clothes you're gonna wear again, whatever. The mesh was in the decorator fabrics section at Joann. It's not stretchy.

I'm in the Northwoods and am hoping my photos eventually upload, without duplicates. Lol 20220701_091742.jpg 20220701_091756.jpg 20220701_092125.jpg

Last edited:

Anthony Hitchings

Super Active Member
Silver Supporting Member
Mar 2, 2019
Oakland, California
in the ALiner - tried unsuccessfully to get the Renogy DC-Home app to work on an Android phone (Moto G Stylus). Sometimes it will pair to either the Renogy Rover Controller or the Renogy Smart Battery (mostly not) and never to both at the same time (which my iphone would do, tho reluctantly).

The Android phone insists that GPS location be enabled before it can scan for the two Renogy Bluetooth devices (Modules BT-1 for controller and BT-2 for battery ) and also before it can scan for my other cheapo chinese bluetooth battery monitor. Evidently this practice started with Android 6 per a message that popped up o the Moto G's screen.

UPDATE:

GPS must be on for Bluetooth to connect to the Renogy DC-Home app via Bluetooth.
BY TURNING OFF WiFi and Bluetooth location augmentation - the bluetooth connection occurs almost immediately - if location augmentation is on - the bluetooth connection seems to be inhibitied for this app.

[so I am OK only until some other app forces me to turn on WiFi and Bluetooth location augmentation]

Last edited:

PopUpSteve

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2002
Southeastern PA
Fixed the door panels. You know the plastic sheets of the door panels, well the lower one had come out of the frame and was bulging. So I removed the panel and took the frame apart so I could get the plastic panel back into the rubble gusset. What a PITA but I got it. Now I have to do the other one.

Must have been from years of some times holding the door by those panels when putting it back on the ceiling.

jonkquil

Super Active Member
Jul 20, 2009
popped it up on the driveway for a thorough cleaning & tidy up/sort cupboards. DD & SIL got word from DH it was up, so turned up with take-out, drinks & dessert and want to party at camp driveway 🙄 Oh go on then, the cleaning can wait, it was almost as good as actually camping!

PopUpSteve

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2002
Southeastern PA
Fixed the bunkend fans. One just needed all the screws tightened but I had to take the other one apart to reattach the light assembly. This one has metal rubber coated clips which are really difficult to attach to the shepard poles.

A few years back, I used a sharpie to highlight the molded plastic icons. Made it a lot easier to determine light from fan, on/off and power setting.

C2F0BF0E-47DE-49B8-937F-9F51BFC7C34B.jpeg

PopUpSteve

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2002
Southeastern PA
I’ve always had a problem with the awning where it would slide along the cross beam during setup/take down. Mainly because I’m doing this myself and one end would be on the ground while I was dealing with the other. I kept thinking there got to be a way to keep it from sliding along the beam.

Well, the other day it dawned on me that the flap of awning along the beam had Velcro on it for a screen room attachment. So I put a few strips of Velcro along the length of the beam. Problem solved, no more slippage!

DFE777CA-2029-4D2A-9174-9D30DB15CA50.jpeg

campingranny

Feb 14, 2007
Elizabeth, PA
I guess I'm reintroducing myself. Jan of 2021 I contracted covid from work (I'm a nurse). In hospital 4 months, then in inpatient rehab then outpatient rehab. Coded 3 times. I had to relearn how to eat, drink, walk again, among other needs. Other than my body looking like a roadmap I'm pretty grateful to have gotten thru it. No camping last year other than my sister taking me out in her camper couple times. And I'm back to work, but not at bedside any longer. Purely administrative now. But anyhow I was able to get to my camper last weekend without too much trouble. I greased lift and wheel bearings. While I was doing that I discovered I've been carrying around about 1/4 tank of water from previous owner. Don't know how I missed it previously. Just assumed it was empty. I never used the fresh water tank. So I emptied the tank as best I could, and am going to put the bleach water in today and drain and rinse tomorrow. Never could get the water totally out, still had about an inch of water in tank after draining. I don't know if that is normal or not. But anyhow, I purchased a socket genie to help with the lift and stabilizers, and I discovered the slotted drill attachment will raise and lower the tonge jack. Camper has been covered so I will also check the sealant around the roof. Well that's my story. I plan on being more present on the forum, so we'll see. I also made a reservation at pymatuning for September.

Firehawk068

Mar 22, 2016
Finally got around to fixing the end-clips on the "Shepherd's Poles" for the bunk-ends and the dinette-slideout.
A couple of them have been broken for a long time, and had been just using them the way they were.

IMG_2377.JPG

I was able to pull them out easily using my bench-vice.
I measured the poles, and bought three PVC "Tee" junctions that were the correct size.
Cut the ends off with a sawzall.
Used my Dremel to grind them and cut them into a "C" shape.
Then drilled and riveted them to the ends of the Shepherd's Poles.

IMG_2378.JPG

IMG_2379.JPG

They were $1.29 each, and they work perfectly!

Also finally replaced the Carousel for the glass-plate inside the Dometic Microwave.
It had been missing since we purchased the Camper.
Found them online, and was $22.00

IMG_2340.JPG

IMG_2351.JPG

hayyward

Silver Supporting Member
Sep 16, 2006
Packerland
I gave the camper an unintentional thorough cleaning. We were late to pop it up this year, spring came early then winter returned then we got busy with other projects (staining the porches, gardening, etc). Gas was too expensive to travel anyway. But finally yesterday we pulled the camper out of the grass next to the house, onto the driveway, popped it up and found ... ANTS! Hundreds of them that built their nests (plural!) in one of the storage bins! :shocked: It was like a horror movie!!

This has never happened before. There is no food stored in the camper ever, this bin had extra blankets, bunk end lights, games, etc, so nothing to attract them. And, as always, the camper was cleaned before being put away for winter so my best guess is it's because we didn't pull it out of the grass early enough in the season.

Got the bug spray and the shop vac, sprayed then sucked up the dead, the dying, and those trying to flee for their lives. Lifted the cover on the vac, sprayed heavily in there and replaced the cover to ensure that any clinging to life would be put out of their misery. No other part of the camper had ants so I removed everything from the infested end, laundered what could be laundered, scrubbed everything else with household cleaner to remove the pheromone trails. Went out today and was satisfied that they have been eradicated. I'm still a little grossed out though, eww!

JunieB

May 8, 2018
Central Florida
Ants can be so annoying. Seems like they are always trying to find a semi-dry place to set up house. Were they tiny black ants-- sometimes called 'sweet ants?' If so, the stuff called Terro works real well. Big black ants? Ugh, could be Carpenters, who like rotting wood. And then there is the craziest infestation I ever had, inside a car no less-- of the Caribbean Crazy ants! Little Florida black ones acting like ADHD. My description of their behavior was what led the Home Desperate staff member to prescribe the right stuff, at the time.

hayyward

Silver Supporting Member
Sep 16, 2006
Packerland
I don't know what kind of ants these were. They were black and big-ish but not as big as carpenter ants which I have seen before. I googled ants to try to identify them and read about your Caribbean Crazy ants. I'd never heard of them before. In the car would be a little too close for me! I don't mind bugs outside, I like camping in the woods and am just fine with all the insects but if there's a bug in my house (or camper or car), it's gonna die - and I'm gonna be a little freaked out while killing it. I blame my older brothers who used to chase me when we were kids with bugs and spiders and all kinds of nasty stuff! Spiders especially freak me out because they're quick. And evil. <shudder>
Ants can be so annoying. Seems like they are always trying to find a semi-dry place to set up house. Were they tiny black ants-- sometimes called 'sweet ants?' If so, the stuff called Terro works real well. Big black ants? Ugh, could be Carpenters, who like rotting wood. And then there is the craziest infestation I ever had, inside a car no less-- of the Caribbean Crazy ants! Little Florida black ones acting like ADHD. My description of their behavior was what led the Home Desperate staff member to prescribe the right stuff, at the time.

Karey

Apr 3, 2021
Colorado
Fixed the bunkend fans. One just needed all the screws tightened but I had to take the other one apart to reattach the light assembly. This one has metal rubber coated clips which are really difficult to attach to the shepard poles.

A few years back, I used a sharpie to highlight the molded plastic icons. Made it a lot easier to determine light from fan, on/off and power setting.

View attachment 85622
Steve, what kind of fan and from where?

Karey

Apr 3, 2021
Colorado
Passing up camp trips due to stuff coming up, not just gas prices. Still need to fix our lift on our Chalet Aframe. I blame it on a camp trip in May - very, VERY windy Wyoming weekend, and dusty. It still makes a noise like a car altinator trying to work. Gotta clean battery terminals for one try, then don't know what?

Set up at home, and love going inside. Going to clean. Been washing blankets. Adjusting table legs so we can position the table different and sit on benches easier.

tenajones42

Nov 2, 2016
Not done this month but I didn't post when I did it. Made this mesh storage thingie for over the bunk. Handy for eyeglasses, book, phone, pajamas, clothes you're gonna wear again, whatever. The mesh was in the decorator fabrics section at Joann. It's not stretchy.

I'm in the Northwoods and am hoping my photos eventually upload, without duplicates. Lol View attachment 85554 View attachment 85555 View attachment 85556
Beautiful Dog! I like the mesh idea. I wonder if the nets used in the corner of kid's room might be able to work somehow. I'll check it out.