June 2022 - what did you do for your camper this month?

Indiobravo

Feb 5, 2020
Raleigh, NC
- I finally got the brown out - repainted all the wood and veneer from brown to white. Makes everything look so much lighter :) Replaced the hardware and painted the furnace grate black, too.
newstuff.png

- I put a new battery back on the tongue (was missing when i bought her two years ago) and was happily shocked to find that the 12 volt system works just fine.

- That little button in the lower left corner next to the fuse panel is the new switch installed for my new 12v water pump for fresh water on the left (hot) side of the faucet. (right is city water)

20220619_102247.jpg

- and i added a 12v connection panel. one cigarette-type socket, one double usb socket with voltmeter, and an on/off switch. it's tied into the ceiling lights circuit so it'll cut off when the kitchen kill switch is depressed.
20220619_100716.jpg

only things left to do is to try the system out completely off grid to see what typical usage looks like, and figure out how to tie in the solar panels i bought last year. i'm so excited - it's been my goal since i got this pup to be able to go fully off grid for a week at least and i'm almost there.

:)

oh, and i need to vinyl plank the floor.

J Starsky

Super Active Member
Aug 3, 2017
East Central MN
Memorial Weekend was pretty cool in Northern WI this year. Ran in A.M. with sun in the afternoon. Good thing, as the AC refused to compress and the 6in fan in the ceiling vent did it's last day of duty. I called an automotive AC guy in town, he encouraged me to fix it myself. Too busy for me he said.

So, after trying really hard to spend good money for a Motor Starter / Capacitor from ANYBODY in stock that would work... I settled on AMAZON for both parts. Save Big Money in the Jungle? Wait, that can't be right....

Both parts arrived looking differently than pictured but both worked. Fixed = Fixed

Turns out I have a faulty AC compressor, verified after new Capacitor ran the unit for a while - just wont cool the area. Local Camper World sold me a new unit, after a good guy discount even. So, the DW, teenage daughter and a fat guy managed to get it on the TT roof. Fully installed and cold for the wedding in Madison, WI. June feels expensive.

Coreym95

Jun 6, 2020
Finished the wire tie-downs on the roof for the solar panels. May not look pretty but there're no holes in the roof.
View attachment 85260

Got the last insect screen installed. Those little springs they supply to hold the screen in place suck so I used metal zip ties instead.
View attachment 85261
View attachment 85262

Looks good. I thought about putting 1 or 2 of those flex panels on my roof. But I've been doing some research and read/seen that the panels should have a small air gap under them for cooling and other purposes. Did you consider that? Maybe it's not that big of a deal.

PopUpSteve

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2002
Southeastern PA
I didn't hear about that until after I had already put the first two panels down. All 3 have double sided 3M tape along the sides and across the center on the underside, but that only gives it a 1/16 inch gap which isn't much. And 2 of the 3 are taped down along all 4 sides. (See: https://www.popupportal.com/threads/solar-panels-installed.136967/post-1437024)

I'm not going to put the outside tape on the third panel for now, or maybe I'll only put it on the leading edge so the wind doesn't get under it on the road.

Last edited:

JimmyM

Super Active Member
Gold Supporting Member
Jun 5, 2014
Franklin, MA
Took it camping in PA and fully charged the lithium battery to get the BMS and Victron BMV in sync SoC wise.

kitphantom

Super Active Member
Platinum Supporting Member
Dec 26, 2009
Albuquerque, NM
The new elbow catches arrived, and are much nicer than the ones we installed before. No sharp edges! However, somehow the "hook" part is slightly different than the previous type, so Courtenay is going to have to figure out the best way to install these. I was hoping it would be a simple one-for-one exchange.

Coreym95

Jun 6, 2020
I didn't hear about that until after I had already put the first two panels down. All 3 have double sided 3M tape along the sides and across the center on the underside, but that only gives it a 1/16 inch gap which isn't much. And 2 of the 3 are taped down along all 4 sides. (See: https://www.popupportal.com/threads/solar-panels-installed.136967/post-1437024)

I'm not going to put the outside tape on the third panel for now, or maybe I'll only put it on the leading edge so the wind doesn't get under it on the road.
Well, according to Renogy, their panels don't require the air gap. I think for most pop up owners it's not that big of a concern since we aren't living in them full time or taking them out for weeks at a time, with some exceptions. My only issue with roof mounted panels is you can't move them around to get good exposure and angles. But the "set it and forget it" aspect of them is very appealing.