Kid-friendly screendoor latch?

Jul 30, 2018
I've got a 2006 Fleetwood Niagara with the classic Coleman door latches for both outside and bathroom doors:
31XogVefmoL._AC_.jpg
The problem is our 6yo has a lot of trouble pushing the stupid button in far enough to get it to unlatch. Even I do sometimes....

I've done some looking around but haven't found any alternative that just has a proper handle on both sides. Has anybody located such a thing, or is there an entirely different type of latch that can be retrofitted without leaving excess holes in the screendoor frame, etc.?

Thanks!

Jul 30, 2018
I'm fixing the busted spring and looking at some kind of holder to keep the outside door open when we want to - assuming the awning screen works as intended (bought it used a few weeks ago and don't have a place to actually set up the full awning, so camping next weekend will be the first try at that). But, we have a dog, so the door is mandatory, and there's also the bathroom door that latches itself pretty consistently...

kitphantom

Super Active Member
Platinum Supporting Member
Dec 26, 2009
Albuquerque, NM
I had trouble with the external latch on the door on our Coleman popup. We took that off and put a standard screen door one on.

Eric Webber

Gold Supporting Member
Jul 7, 2018
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
I had trouble with the external latch on the door on our Coleman popup. We took that off and put a standard screen door one on.
That’s what we did for our Arcadia. The secondary benefit was that it has a key lock so I don’t have to close the larger door to lock up for a short while

Our son is 8 (9 in 2 weeks) and had a bit of trouble at 5, but had it figured out soon enough

a lot easier than standard camper latches. He still has trouble with the bathroom one…

Jul 30, 2018
Do you have a link to the style of screendoor latch you used? There are so many styles it's hard to tell which ones might fit the existing hole pattern, or fit with minimal modifications.

Thanks!

Eric Webber

Gold Supporting Member
Jul 7, 2018
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Do you have a link to the style of screendoor latch you used? There are so many styles it's hard to tell which ones might fit the existing hole pattern, or fit with minimal modifications.

Thanks!
This is the one I have
https://www.amazon.ca/Ideal-Securit...hild=1&keywords=BK312BL&qid=1623002540&sr=8-7

I kept the inside part (wanted the inside lock) and swapped the outside handle.

Between the new parts and the old latch, everything I needed was there

best easy and cheap mod

Jul 30, 2018
No kidding on the SLAM SLAM SLAM! Because of the dog I've got to fit just the right spring, but I'm hoping to maybe control the slamming with strategically-placed foam at different distances from the hinge.

However, for the latch I'm hoping to get away from the pushbutton style entirely, in favor of lever (push or rotate) on both sides. I guess I'll just have to take the latch off and go to Home Depot to see what's there that might work.