Let Me Level With You

Canvas Cur

Sep 29, 2016
South West Florida
Have been on the fence about springing for a BAL Leveler for quite some time. Mostly been doing the "block shuffle" with Lynx blocks-pull up...check for level, ...not enough...back down...add one more...you know the drill. Recently found an online seller who had them in stock at less than 100 and free shipping. Just got it yesterday. Man, this thing is well made and I might add, heavier than I thought. But...since my Coleman Destiny has 10" wheels I was expecting to have to add some wood blocks to make up the difference. But, I just tried it on my golf cart (8" wheels and tires) and it lifted just fine. There is is a lot of support under the metal pads. I could not budge it when raised about 3 inches. So, I think for our next outing I will try it as is. After lubing the screw with white lithium grease, and putting a 3/4 socket on my cordless drill, it went up like a champ. Now to find a place in my mini-pup to store it for travel! Any one else have storage ideas and/or experience with small tires? Would love to hear about it. One thing...how you would get this to fit around the larger 14's or a 15's is a mystery to me, but the box says 13"-15". Anyway...this has been an uplifting experience...so far.

Last edited:

PopUpSteve

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2002
Southeastern PA
If you have 13 to 15 inch tires, no problem. Next concern is the weight of the camper. When I moved up to my E2 (GVWR 3,500), I had a lot of trouble lifting the camper. I finally sold the BAL Leveler and bought some Lynx Levelers. Takes a minute or two more to setup (doing this by myself) but work just as well. And the Lynx Levelers can be use for other things, like under the tongue jack, under the stabilizers, or to make a footpath through the mud. [LOL]
2019-08-16 16.07.43.jpg

Sjm9911

Super Active Member
May 31, 2018
Nj
When I used the step chocks on the pup, i got out put the level across the front storage box and mesured how much height i needed. After a bit you could eyeball it. Good luck with the ball leveler.

J Starsky

Super Active Member
Aug 3, 2017
East Central MN
I've always been a "green treated 2x8 or 2x10" kinda guy. I'm using the old's PUP 2x8s as my TT leveling pads now. I've cracked two of my 2x10s from rocky sites. I've gotten my years out of them, for sure.

Dingit

Super Active Member
Mar 8, 2017
I've used the BAL leveler with 10" tires. Takes a lot of cranking to even make contact. Worth it. Currently use it with my 14" tires and it is harder to get it around the tire (we're usually on dirt) and it's a heavy trailer so harder to crank but...still worth it.

I use Lynx blocks or wood for my truck camper. Miss the BAL every time. (Of course leveling a truck is a different proposition than a single- or even double-axle trailer...)

Canvas Cur

Sep 29, 2016
South West Florida
My tires are the same size as yours, the BAL works fine. I carry it in the front storage box.
That is so good to hear. Thanks! I have no storage box on my mini-pup, so I may just lash it down on the tongue since I have no battery or propane tank. Or maybe just inside the entry door. Either way, I think this item may may make it much easier and faster to get the set-up done. I was kind of surprised to hear of possible tire deformation after several days of basically hanging by the tire with the camper weight and two people inside. Anyone else experience this? I keep them at 50PSI so they are quite firm, but I do se how that could happen. What about raising it up to just above level and then sliding a couple (or three) Lynx blocks under the tire, then backing down the lift until the camper just rests on the blocks as added support? Or am I worried too much about 3 or days of the weight perched between the metal pads?

Dingit

Super Active Member
Mar 8, 2017
I would not worry about tire deformation. I've had my popup set up in the garage for months at a time with no tire problems.

rob.mwpropane

Aug 11, 2021
Have been on the fence about springing for a BAL Leveler for quite some time. Mostly been doing the "block shuffle" with Lynx blocks-pull up...check for level, ...not enough...back down...add one more...you know the drill. Recently found an online seller who had them in stock at less than 100 and free shipping. Just got it yesterday. Man, this thing is well made and I might add, heavier than I thought. But...since my Coleman Destiny has 10" wheels I was expecting to have to add some wood blocks to make up the difference. But, I just tried it on my golf cart (8" wheels and tires) and it lifted just fine. There is is a lot of support under the metal pads. I could not budge it when raised about 3 inches. So, I think for our next outing I will try it as is. After lubing the screw with white lithium grease, and putting a 3/4 socket on my cordless drill, it went up like a champ. Now to find a place in my mini-pup to store it for travel! Any one else have storage ideas and/or experience with small tires? Would love to hear about it. One thing...how you would get this to fit around the larger 14's or a 15's is a mystery to me, but the box says 13"-15". Anyway...this has been an uplifting experience...so far.

Link to where purchased by any chance?

Greg H

Mar 22, 2019
Ontario, Canada
I love my BAL leveler. With a 3/4” socket for the leveler and 4 stabs, I have the trailer level and stabilized in no time.

I’m also curious about clever storage solutions. I currently have mine inside the door, but it’s not ideal along side other things I store in there. I’ve got no obvious space on the tongue to put it, and would like to store it with the pup and not the tow vehicle, so would love to hear other ideas!!

Canvas Cur

Sep 29, 2016
South West Florida
Link to where purchased by any chance?
I don't mind responding to this at all if it is proper. I found it on ebay. Type in BAL RV 28050 Leveling Jack and look for the seller that is less than 100. About 96 and change IIRC. He just lowered the price a few bucks since I ordered. RV PartsPro is the seller. Got it in just a few days.

tzmartin

Not here for a long time but here for a good time!
Sep 9, 2015
Clayton, Georgia
I have a BAL leveler but it was a pain to raise the tire because the side panel covering over the wheel well interferes with the drill after raising a few inches. I hated the ratchet as it was too slow. I use an Andersen leveler now. It's lighter and less bulky.

Patrick w

Aug 13, 2021
I ordered the BAL, and it looks like I am going to return the camco. On grassy sites where the divots aren't uniform, there was just a lot of going to the car, move up, move back, up, back... especially if your doing it by yourself.

I actually have something that is more advanced than the BAL- its a hydraulic jack that is made for low profile vehicles. Like the BAL, it has two arms that go into either side of the wheel. But this has a hydraulic foot pump. A few pumps and the wheel is up. Its just the weight and shape of it is unappealing in my setup.

brettstoner

Jun 17, 2014
Toledo, OH
I love my BAL. Back into the site, look at the front level for the high side, throw the wheel chocks under, unhitch, level the low side with the BAL while my son or daughter watch the level, then switch positions and have them watch the side level while cranking tongue to level front/rear.

I store mine in a pizza bag. Fits perfect. Keep it in the front storage compartment. I also use a cut pool noodle and slide it over the shaft to keep it from getting grease on everything.

ChrisS_NC

May 30, 2015
I used a BAL leveler with our popup for several years. When I discovered Anderson Levelers and the LevelMate Pro I immediately sold our BAL. The BAL is a PITA, heavy, and takes way more time than it should. I'd choose lego (Lynx, etc) blocks before I went back to a BAL. I also carry a 3' piece of deck board with grip tape on it that I can place an Anderson on when the ground is soft. Camco now make an Anderson type leveler that is sold at WallyWorld for a bit less than the Anderson's

GrueMaster

May 22, 2013
Saint Helens, Oregon
I have that leveler and before my big tire blow out of 2018, it worked great (most of the time). I have a Coleman Destiny series as well (2003 Timberlake). The only issue I had was at Oregon Country Fair, where camping is in a big field full of ruts. I had to get out my old army trenching tool and dig around the tire to get the leveler in place, then drive over it to recover before leaving. Storage, I have a big pickup ('88 Chevy long bed), so no problem there.

But that summer at OCF, BOTH tires blew out (boom-shred blowouts). And Les Schwab only had 15" tires. So 3 new tires (plus new, working bearings - oops), and now my leveler doesn't fit around the tire unless I am in my driveway. It will still work, I just need to drive over it to get it in place, or jack the trailer up first with my bottle jack. 20180716_083952.jpg