Let's talk about Knee pain. Anybody else?

Grandpa Don

Super Active Member
Sep 5, 2018
Southern California
Well, I found out I had a small tear in my meniscus in addition to the arthritis. I’m like you - not a problem during the day but at night it’s another story at times. See about an MRI to see what’s actually wrong and if you do need surgery tell them when you’ll do it.
The thing I don't understand is that 90% of the time I can walk without any pain at all. Then suddenly I get a movement or clicking and popping "bump" in the knee on the extreme left side accompanied by sharp pain. I can feel something moving in there. Then it goes away and I'm back to normal. If I had a bone on bone issue, wouldn't I have pain all the time when I walked? Those of you who have had a bone on bone situation, what does it feel like?

I've scheduled an appointment with my local doctor for tomorrow. I don't want to be a hard as* and try to tell the doctors how to do their job. But I just feel that the Ortho Doc wants the knee replacement surgery for financial reasons. I was seeing the Nurse Practitioner in the same office for 2 years. He never mentioned Knee replacement. He always said it was just a torn Meniscus, and that I should consider Laparoscopic surgery to repair it. However I chose injections for two years, which work great. But not so much lately.

I really appreciate all of the comments people have made here. My local Doctor and I are going to have a serious talk tomorrow about a second opinion and an MRI.

Grandpa Don

Super Active Member
Sep 5, 2018
Southern California
What was the outcome of your latest doctor visit, if you care to share?
This is funny! I thought I replied to your question a few days ago. But I don't see it here now. So I'll post it again. My local Doctor questions the knee replacement option. He has referred me to another Ortho doctor that he says knows everything about knees. It will be the second option I ask for. I'm waiting for that appointment now.

As side note: Yesterday I went on a long drive just to get out of the house for a while. I did some walking at some sites that I stopped to explore. I had absolutely no pain in my knee at all. It was like it never happened. I felt like a new man. Last night I had no aching in the knee at all. This morning is much the same. However, every now and then I will get a slight pinch in the same spot on the left side. But no pain. I am really getting tired of this and hope the new Doctor can do something more permanent without knee replacement.

Austin694

Feb 18, 2015
I hope you start feeling better. I would start with a good physical therapist and low intensity exercises. I was having a lot of pain in my left knee. I got this book and watched a lot of this guys videos on youtube. Worked great. The exercises are super easy, require next to no equipment and are scalable to fitness and strength level. I would focus on strengthening the muscles around the knee which will stabilize the joint.

Kneesovertoesguy

K_and_I

Sep 30, 2007
North Central Ohio
I think the physical therapy suggestion is a good one. My understanding is that most insurances and Medicare will require at least some PT before they will approve a replacement anyway, so why not try?

Grandpa Don

Super Active Member
Sep 5, 2018
Southern California
I think the physical therapy suggestion is a good one. My understanding is that most insurances and Medicare will require at least some PT before they will approve a replacement anyway, so why not try?
The problem is that I don't think I need a replacement! For the last few weeks, I have had very little discomfort in the knee. I walk normally, I can walk on the golf course. It almost seems as if the knee is healing by itself. I do have a little ache on the side of the knee at night every now and then. And I do feel as if something is moving in there once in a while. That's it! If I twist my foot in a certain way I'll get a sharp pain that is very localized and only last a second or two.

I did ask my local Doctor to give me a referral for a second opinion. Which he did. He tends to agree with me. He submitted the requqest and was very specific about requesting a different Doctor for the purpose of getting a second opinion. I got the approval from my health maintenance organization yesterday. The problem is, all they did was make another appointment for me at the same office I have been seeing for the last 2 1/2 years. My local Doctor is trying to straighten it out now.

Grandpa Don

Super Active Member
Sep 5, 2018
Southern California
The strangest thing is going on with my knee. I finally got approval to get a second opinion. I will be on my first camping trip of the years all next week, so appointment will have to wait. But the thing is that there has been a marked improvement in the knee. And I don't know why. I have almost no pain or discomfort at all anymore. Sometimes a little ache at night, but that is all. About 4 weeks ago I started taking Turmeric Curcumin on a daily basis. I also started taking a vitamin called Glucosamine Chondroitin. Both of them are just Over-the-counter vitamins. They are supposed to be good for joint health and inflamation. I did get a new injection last December 29th of Synvisc/Synvise-one. But the literature said that it will only last about 3 to 6 months at best. June will be the 6th month. So I don't know whether it is the vitamins or the injection that is working. All I know is that my knee is almost back to normal.

Is anyone else taking these two vitamins (Turmeric and Glucosamne Chondroitin) ? If so, what is your experience with them?

Mark60

Aug 23, 2020
TN
I’ll tell you about my knee pain, I ripped the patella tendon off my knee cap and shredded it, they sewed it back together and reattached it to my knee cap and put anchors in on my knee cap and at the bottom right above the shin. It took me out for about a year, after 8 months of therapy I’m walking but limited on inclines and steps. I can’t squat down or get on my knees, I know it’s there every minute of the day, I have been thinking about getting a small RV because setting up the pop up is a great task just to even fold down the stabilizers on the corner. It’s amazing how one accident can change your life forever. My knee still bruises and swells, because it’s a weak link it puts stress on the back muscles and screws up your back also, probably the most painful experience I’ve been through in the las 63 years.

Grandpa Don

Super Active Member
Sep 5, 2018
Southern California
I’ll tell you about my knee pain, I ripped the patella tendon off my knee cap and shredded it, they sewed it back together and reattached it to my knee cap and put anchors in on my knee cap and at the bottom right above the shin. It took me out for about a year, after 8 months of therapy I’m walking but limited on inclines and steps. I can’t squat down or get on my knees, I know it’s there every minute of the day, I have been thinking about getting a small RV because setting up the pop up is a great task just to even fold down the stabilizers on the corner. It’s amazing how one accident can change your life forever. My knee still bruises and swells, because it’s a weak link it puts stress on the back muscles and screws up your back also, probably the most painful experience I’ve been through in the las 63 years.
I made it as easy as possible to raise my popup. But I am also considering purchasing a little Casita type trailer. It would sure be nicer to just pull into a spot, unlock the door and go in. I've been looking, but so far I have not found anything in my price range. I'll keep looking.

Mark60

Aug 23, 2020
TN
I made it as easy as possible to raise my popup. But I am also considering purchasing a little Casita type trailer. It would sure be nicer to just pull into a spot, unlock the door and go in. I've been looking, but so far I have not found anything in my price range. I'll keep looking.
That’s what I was thinking also, plus not getting soaking wet with sweat trying to set up the pop up in the summer.

Grandpa Don

Super Active Member
Sep 5, 2018
Southern California
I not sure I would sell my Popup even if I did by a hard side camper. I would still use it when I go off grid in the rough country with my sons. I would like to travel a bit now that I am retired. It would be a lot easier for those one-night-stands if I had a hard side camper.

Jo Jones

Dec 7, 2020
My story. I'm a 76 years old male, and in good health. But I have a problem with my right knee. It started about two years ago while on a camping trip. The onset was sudden. There wasn't the slightest hint of a problem before. I don't remember doing anything to hurt it. I just woke up in the middle of the night with an ache in the right knee. It was, and still is, very localized. I can put my finger right on the spot about 2 /12 inches down from the knee cap and on the inside of my leg. The ache came and went for the week I was up in the mountains. Advil generally worked to stop the ache. From my layman's research I was convinced I had a torn ligament on the right side of my right knee. Over the next couple of months the problem came and went until I decided to see a Doctor. X-rays showed that I had a torn Meniscus and some arthritis. There was talk about laparoscopic surgery to repair it, but it was decided to try injections and a brace first. I have now been getting injections and wearing the brace for 2 1/2 years. The pain has been perfectly tolerable for all this time. It comes and goes. Particularly if I step wrong out of the camper and twist the leg a bit. There will be a sharp pain, and then it goes away. There is absolutely no pain at all when I walk. I can climb hills and take a hike with no discomfort at all. But if I put my right foot wrong or twist it on a rock I feel a snapping sensation in the knee and a sharp pain for just a second or two. It has not gotten any worse in 2 1/2 years. But I'm tired of it!

So that's my story. Now here's my questions to the forum folks. Does anyone else have this problem? If so, what did you do about it. My Doctor is hinting at total knee replacement surgery. But I just don't see where it is bad enough for that. If you have had knee replacement surgery, how are you doing. Has it affected you activities while camping. How soon after surgery did you go camping? I know everyone is different, but tell me what you think and how you are doing now.
Normally a knee replacement is indicated when the pain is no longer acceptable and/or the amount of arthritis in the joint has gotten severe. This normally means that the cartilage on the ends of the bones is gone. Over time, no amount of injections or braces will control that pain and the joint will continue to deteriorate. Repeated injections may speed up the deterioration of the joint. Fixing a torn meniscus would help slow cartilage deterioration. In the past, knee replacements were only done when the pain becomes intolerable. They wanted the patient to wait as long as possible because the knees only lasted 10 years. That's not true anymore. Knees now last for 20 years. They are used in younger and younger patients. The technology has improved dramtically. One thing you have to keep in mind is that if your biomechanics change because of knee damage, you often mess up your hip or the other knee.
I had both knees replaced on the same day. I ski, whitewater kayak, hike, bike do whatever I want. I was walking the day after surgery and was mowing my grass (gas push mower) in 4 weeks--and our yard had a hill. The surgery was the best thing I've done. I had been pretty crippled for years. One thing I can recommend is that if and when you have surgery, go to a facility that specializes in replacements--not sports medicine. They are two completely different subspecialities of orthopedics. You want the guy who does hundreds every year. Good luck.

Grandpa Don

Super Active Member
Sep 5, 2018
Southern California
Normally a knee replacement is indicated when the pain is no longer acceptable and/or the amount of arthritis in the joint has gotten severe. This normally means that the cartilage on the ends of the bones is gone. Over time, no amount of injections or braces will control that pain and the joint will continue to deteriorate. Repeated injections may speed up the deterioration of the joint. Fixing a torn meniscus would help slow cartilage deterioration. In the past, knee replacements were only done when the pain becomes intolerable. They wanted the patient to wait as long as possible because the knees only lasted 10 years. That's not true anymore. Knees now last for 20 years. They are used in younger and younger patients. The technology has improved dramtically. One thing you have to keep in mind is that if your biomechanics change because of knee damage, you often mess up your hip or the other knee.
I had both knees replaced on the same day. I ski, whitewater kayak, hike, bike do whatever I want. I was walking the day after surgery and was mowing my grass (gas push mower) in 4 weeks--and our yard had a hill. The surgery was the best thing I've done. I had been pretty crippled for years. One thing I can recommend is that if and when you have surgery, go to a facility that specializes in replacements--not sports medicine. They are two completely different subspecialities of orthopedics. You want the guy who does hundreds every year. Good luck.
Thanks for the advice. I am so glad that your situation turned out as good as it has. It gives me something to hope for if and when I do have to have a replacement. I am leaving this morning for the first camping trip of the season. I will be off-grid in the Boondocks for a week. I'm hoping I don't have any knee problems. But I will be taking it easy the whole time just in case.

Ladiesman

Super Active Member
Feb 6, 2018
I have had 9 knee surgeries total two replacements on the same knee I was an idiot when I was young and paid for it over the years. I also ran marathons and that did not help here is my two cents. Injections are temporary while they offer relief fir the short term they are not the answer. I find it hard to believe that you would need a replacement from what you describe it does not sound like you are bone on bone. The pain would be more consistent. Get A second opinion i am no doctor but have been through a lot with the knees. Sounds to me like an arthroscopic procedure would take care of your issues. You probably do have a tear and some bone spurs that need cleaned up. I have had that done five times over the years 3 on one knee and two on the other. The recovery is quick and as soon as the swelling goes down you will be back to moving that knee like you did as a kid.

Grandpa Don

Super Active Member
Sep 5, 2018
Southern California
I am waiting for a second opinion approval right now. My doctor and my insurance company approved it. So I'm just waiting for the paper work.

I just got back from a week long camping trip to the High Sierras. I did a lot of walking on uneven ground and I did not ware the brace at all for the whole time. It did not hurt to walk around, but I did get that slight ache at night. I figured out that if I was sleeping on my right side with my left leg knee resting up against the right knee the ache would start. But as soon as I turned to lay flat on my back, the ache would go away. I just don't know what to make of it. I do know that there is something wrong there. But it would seem to me that if I did have bone on bone it would hurt to walk. Right?
I have had 9 knee surgeries total two replacements on the same knee I was an idiot when I was young and paid for it over the years. I also ran marathons and that did not help here is my two cents. Injections are temporary while they offer relief fir the short term they are not the answer. I find it hard to believe that you would need a replacement from what you describe it does not sound like you are bone on bone. The pain would be more consistent. Get A second opinion i am no doctor but have been through a lot with the knees. Sounds to me like an arthroscopic procedure would take care of your issues. You probably do have a tear and some bone spurs that need cleaned up. I have had that done five times over the years 3 on one knee and two on the other. The recovery is quick and as soon as the swelling goes down you will be back to moving that knee like you did as a kid

Last edited:

Oldspurs

Jan 2, 2022
Central Texas
Brother, I bought a small knee pillow, as recommended by my orthopedic Dr. Helps with the ache when sleeping on my side, no pain. We walk everyday when at home, 2 to 3 miles. Hike when we camp, helps with the everyday pains of being Geriatric Juviniles. lol Good luck with the knee.

Grandpa Don

Super Active Member
Sep 5, 2018
Southern California
Brother, I bought a small knee pillow, as recommended by my orthopedic Dr. Helps with the ache when sleeping on my side, no pain. We walk everyday when at home, 2 to 3 miles. Hike when we camp, helps with the everyday pains of being Geriatric Juviniles. lol Good luck with the knee.
A knee pillow? I never thought of that. I'm going to try that tonight. I'll find something that should work.

Ladiesman

Super Active Member
Feb 6, 2018
I am waiting for a second opinion approval right now. My doctor and my insurance company approved it. So I'm just waiting for the paper work.

I just got back from a week long camping trip to the High Sierras. I did a lot of walking on uneven ground and I did not ware the brace at all for the whole time. It did not hurt to walk around, but I did get that slight ache at night. I figured out that if I was sleeping on my right side with my left leg knee resting up against the right knee the ache would start. But as soon as I turned to lay flat on my back, the ache would go away. I just don't know what to make of it. I do know that there is something wrong there. But it would seem to me that if I did have bone on bone it would hurt to walk. Right?
Yes, I think you would feel pain more often and usually you feel a stability problem. An X Ray will tell you if you have good spacing and an MRI will tell you if you have a meniscus tear. Neither is good but I hope its a Meniscus issue thats a simple fix with very little down time.

Anthony Hitchings

Super Active Member
Silver Supporting Member
Mar 2, 2019
Oakland, California
The strangest thing is going on with my knee. I finally got approval to get a second opinion. I will be on my first camping trip of the years all next week, so appointment will have to wait. But the thing is that there has been a marked improvement in the knee. And I don't know why. I have almost no pain or discomfort at all anymore. Sometimes a little ache at night, but that is all. About 4 weeks ago I started taking Turmeric Curcumin on a daily basis. I also started taking a vitamin called Glucosamine Chondroitin. Both of them are just Over-the-counter vitamins. They are supposed to be good for joint health and inflamation. I did get a new injection last December 29th of Synvisc/Synvise-one. But the literature said that it will only last about 3 to 6 months at best. June will be the 6th month. So I don't know whether it is the vitamins or the injection that is working. All I know is that my knee is almost back to normal.

Is anyone else taking these two vitamins (Turmeric and Glucosamne Chondroitin) ? If so, what is your experience with them?
Don, how many mg of each of those vitamins/supplements do u take each day? I have differing dosage on rhe shelf at CVS