Letting my best friend go

firepit

Super Active Member
Feb 26, 2020
Gonna be a tough day....It's time to say goodbye to to my best friend Josie after 15 1/2 yrs.
She has had dog Dementia for a couple yrs and about a month ago got vestibular disease which started
her on a downhill slide...Her arthritis makes it tough to get up sometimes...She has been drinking a ton of water which means her kidneys are failing as well.
Her life has become nothing but sleeping all day...Pacing and panting all night and peeing when we are not there
to let her out every half hour and she has been peeing her bed in her sleep as well.
I have been hand feeding her because she has forgotten how eat and sometimes she just drops it out of her mouth.
I have been so torn with her and what to do as every once in awhile she shows a a glimmer of her old self but after a long weekend
we know she is hanging on for us and she is a shell of herself.
The sparkle in her eyes is gone.....I pet her and she she just walks away...Her mind and body has failed her.
It is so tough because our other dogs made that decision for us we didn't have say the time has come with them.
She has always been pappys girl and will always be... But it's time to set her free and let cross the raibow bridge
and be pain free and young again and reunited with BJ again and get to know Ali Ray who passed away before we got her.
Thankfully we have Sampson to occupy us as we heal and try to move on.
He is probably gonna be crushed because she is all he has ever known and that scares me as well.
Thankfully our vet will come to the house as Josie is terrified of the vet clinic and that gives us peace knowing she will
be at home were shes most comfortable.
Thank you for allowing me to ramble on to everyone here in this community... Typing this is a form therapy for me
as i prepare to let my Baby Girl go later today.

Attachments

• IMG_20220514_041706.jpg
    IMG_20220514_041706.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20220718_091436.jpg
    IMG_20220718_091436.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 15

Musictom

Gold Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2021
You are doing the right and best thing for your baby. If you hadn't had such a beautiful life with Josie, this wouldn't be as hard. It's a two edged sword. As C.S. Lewis said, "The pain I feel now is the happiness I had before. That's the deal."

So sorry for your loss.

azwildcat

Sep 19, 2021
Glendale, AZ
sorry for your loss, i'am in the same boat, my dog duke is 14 years old and as arthritis in his hips and has a hard time laying down or getting up, i know it's only a matter of time to be with him, lost two other dogs to cancer before i got him, they are part of the family

Grandpa Don

Super Active Member
Sep 5, 2018
Southern California
So sorry to here. Nothing anyone can say will ease the pain in your heart. It is ironic that yesterday my daughter, who lives with me, and I took our big ole puppy dog Jackson (85lbs.) to the vet for what looked like an eye infection. We were not prepared for what he told us. He has cancer, bone tumor type. The vet said it will take him within 4 weeks. We just can't believe it. He is on medication now. This morning he came bouncing into my room to wake me up as he always does. That is my sign to get up and take him for his morning run in the desert. He is only seven years old. I was really hoping he would outlast me. I did not want to go through this again. Eight years ago, I had to put my Lady down. That tore me up. I'm not sure I want to get another dog. Maybe, puppies are so darn cute!

I know the entire Forum will be sad and thinking of you all day today. I have tears in my eyes just typing this.

firepit

Super Active Member
Feb 26, 2020
So sorry to here. Nothing anyone can say will ease the pain in your heart. It is ironic that yesterday my daughter, who lives with me, and I took our big ole puppy dog Jackson (85lbs.) to the vet for what looked like an eye infection. We were not prepared for what he told us. He has cancer, bone tumor type. The vet said it will take him within 4 weeks. We just can't believe it. He is on medication now. This morning he came bouncing into my room to wake me up as he always does. That is my sign to get up and take him for his morning run in the desert. He is only seven years old. I was really hoping he would outlast me. I did not want to go through this again. Eight years ago, I had to put my Lady down. That tore me up. I'm not sure I want to get another dog. Maybe, puppies are so darn cute!

I know the entire Forum will be sad and thinking of you all day today. I have tears in my eyes just typing this.
Im so sorry and hang in there...Don't be afraid to reach out and message me if you need to.

firepit

Super Active Member
Feb 26, 2020
sorry for your loss, i'am in the same boat, my dog duke is 14 years old and as arthritis in his hips and has a hard time laying down or getting up, i know it's only a matter of time to be with him, lost two other dogs to cancer before i got him, they are part of the family
Hang in there...I am thinking of you.

p

Super Active Member
Jun 9, 2014
Alberta
Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...