Local Eats

BillOh

Silver Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2019
Columbus, Ohio
When deciding on a campground, a great locally eatery MAY, if we are staying a few days be a factor. If we are at Delaware St Park in Ohio, we visit a local bar with fried Baloney sandwiches that are really good. If we visit Buffalo NY we have to stop at Anchor Bar once. When visiting my home town of Erie, PA, there are several favorite places we will visit, but its only a slight factor on a couple of trips a year.

Susan Premo

Super Active Member
Nov 5, 2020
Minnesota
We like to try different ethnic foods so if there was something nearby that would certainly attract us for a night away from cooking in camp. We were in North Carolina las t summer and ended up in a couple different Mexican places while driving back home. One of them had a large number of Hispanic people in it, so we had high hopes, but the food ended up rather bland
Think how they mightve felt?

rsdata

Oct 3, 2011
N. KY
if you find yourself near Apalachicola, specifically the Eastpoint area of FL, then an American breakfast/Mexican restaurant El Jalisco and a small seafood eatery called Lynn's has been my goto for years... reasonable price and great food... both on Rt 98

Bar 98 next to 98 Liquor has a killer make-your-own Bloody Mary bar on Sunday around noon and some decent food and a good local crowd there.

Apalachicola to St. George Island to Eastpoint is the best part of FL for laid back vacationing and eating...

kitphantom

Super Active Member
Platinum Supporting Member
Dec 26, 2009
Albuquerque, NM
@Groomporter & Susan Premo - One thing to remember is that "Mexican" food varies a lot, as does the interpretation in different sections of the country. A lot of New Mexican and Tex-Mex food (which are not the same) can be hot, although we tend to red and green chile rather than jalepeños. I like moles, I've found those in Oxacan restaurants, which can be pretty mild. (My heat tolerance is low to what it once was, but I bet I still eat things much hotter than I was used to growing up in WNY.) Arizona Mexican food tends to be milder than New Mexican. The taste of chile is very nice if one's taste buds aren't heat-blasted.
However, I will admit we gave up on eating in chain Mexican restuarants on our first or second trip back East after moving to the SW.

Susan Premo

Super Active Member
Nov 5, 2020
Minnesota
@Groomporter & Susan Premo - One thing to remember is that "Mexican" food varies a lot, as does the interpretation in different sections of the country. A lot of New Mexican and Tex-Mex food (which are not the same) can be hot, although we tend to red and green chile rather than jalepeños. I like moles, I've found those in Oxacan restaurants, which can be pretty mild. (My heat tolerance is low to what it once was, but I bet I still eat things much hotter than I was used to growing up in WNY.) Arizona Mexican food tends to be milder than New Mexican. The taste of chile is very nice if one's taste buds aren't heat-blasted.
However, I will admit we gave up on eating in chain Mexican restuarants on our first or second trip back East after moving to the SW.
I worked with a woman from Mexico I think she cooked usually pretty hot foods, her husband also from Mexico didn't like it so hot, so yes everyone has different tastes! Sort of like that with Italian food, southern regions and the northern are different as well. I use to watch this guy on PBS cook a lot he was tall red haired and always wore clogs. He explained all those things while cooking in his kitchen, fun show.

Groomporter

Jan 30, 2021
Minnesota
Yeah, we used to have a family-owned and run Tex-Mex place here in town that was one of our favorites and Minneapolis/St Paul has a lot of non-chain Mexican options for being in the frozen north. But the couple we were at while on the road last summer were not just bland as for as heat, but didn't have much flavor in general.

Susan Premo

Super Active Member
Nov 5, 2020
Minnesota
Yeah, we used to have a family-owned and run Tex-Mex place here in town that was one of our favorites and Minneapolis/St Paul has a lot of non-chain Mexican options for being in the frozen north. But the couple we were at while on the road last summer were not just bland as for as heat, but didn't have much flavor in general.
I'm in St Paul, where's your Mexican eatery?

Latest posts