Looking for advice to sell my canoes.

dbhost

Super Active Member
Sep 19, 2018
League City, Texas USA.
I have a problem. My health has slid over the years where I realize 2 things.

#1. My wife won't go canoeing with me, and...
#2. I am not wanting to go canoeing alone.

I have 2 canoes... A 2006 vintage Pelican Explorer 1750DLX Ram Xcell hull with cane seats that has been lightly used since new, only on the water 6 times before it ended up in storage.

The other is an unknown vintage Old Town 17' that has been modified from stock to accept a sailing rig. We have the boat but not the sailing rig. This one has a wierd history. My brother in law when he was well, and married had a tenant in one of his properties that had the boat and moved leaving the canoe behind. Mind you they stayed friends, and the tenant gifted him the boat, which he had no interest in, so he gifted it to me...

I have life jackets, paddles etc... for both of them.

I am not sure how to list these for sale, and keep up with security. I don't want people coming to my house to check out / buy the boat(s).

How can I go about selling these safely / securely?

SteveP

Super Active Member
Platinum Supporting Member
May 21, 2015
A lot of people agree to meet at a public place, like a Walmart parking lot, for similar transactions. Of course, that means that you have to load up the boat(s) and gear to haul to that point for a maybe sale, and then transfer to the other's vehicle.

davekkk

Oct 7, 2013
Wisconsin
Typically I dont give out my address until the moment I know they are going to come take a look at an item. Usually lawn mowers and such I pull out of the garage for looking at so they cant see what else I have. Most of the little stuff I sell I meet at a local gas station that I know has cameras.

Dingit

Super Active Member
Mar 8, 2017
My local PD also encourages people to do craigslist transactions in their parking lot. If you have a place like REI that sells canoe tiedowns, that's where I'd meet. You just KNOW people will show up, want to buy, and not have the means to take it home. Kinda like popups, now that I think about it!

Tonya Harding

Super Active Member
Gold Supporting Member
Jun 15, 2018
Virginia
I just sold a WS Ride 115 same day on Farce book Market Place, met the dude at a local RV place, if it looks like a sale is possible, ask 'em if they have a method of transport of their own...

tzmartin

Not here for a long time but here for a good time!
Sep 9, 2015
Clayton, Georgia
I sold a ton of stuff on Facebook marketplace. In checkout person’s profile and have a little bit more information before you meet with them. Take lots of pictures and be thorough in your description. Doesn’t hurt to have a friend close by When the customer visits.

tfischer

A bad day camping beats a good day at the office
Typically I dont give out my address until the moment I know they are going to come take a look at an item. Usually lawn mowers and such I pull out of the garage for looking at so they cant see what else I have. Most of the little stuff I sell I meet at a local gas station that I know has cameras.

Same here. I've done plenty of transactions at my house. I just don't advertise the address until I have a screened buyer.

tenttrailer

Art & Joyce - Columbus, O
Jul 18, 2013
Thornville, OH
I have sold 2 canoes on Craigslist about 10 years apart in years.

Your oldtown might be factory with the sail rig setup. Old town use to have a sail rigs setup you could order. (sail, rutter and a clamp-on center board that actually clamped on one side or the other.

Sneezer

Super Active Member
Aug 8, 2015
DFW, TX
How much? My son is interested in getting a canoe or kayak, and might jump on the old town. He just joined the sea scouts last year and has started to get into sailing. We were looking at some Hobie cats that had their own sailing rig and he was really intrigued. I think you are down in the Houston area so if he is interested and the price is right we could do a day trip or something to make it happen.

Sneezer

Super Active Member
Aug 8, 2015
DFW, TX
How much? My son is interested in getting a canoe or kayak, and might jump on the old town. He just joined the sea scouts last year and has started to get into sailing. We were looking at some Hobie cats that had their own sailing rig and he was really intrigued. I think you are down in the Houston area so if he is interested and the price is right we could do a day trip or something to make it happen.
Scratch that. Just talked to him, he really wants a kayak over a canoe.

1380ken

Super Active Member
Nov 7, 2013
Mass
I would not worry about somebody from craigslist looking to buy your canoe and robbing you. It is usually someone being robbed that is looking to buy something with cash on them. Just have nothing of extreme value sitting out in the open when people come to see the canoes.