Looking for ideas - expanded tongue storage for larger battery

Greg H

Mar 22, 2019
Ontario, Canada
It’s getting time to replace my pup’s battery, currently group 24. I’d like to upgrade to a group 31, but 59BC6A97-4A08-4589-B518-91B0AC61A552.jpeg there is really only room on the tongue for the propane tank and current battery box as-is. Pic below….

so I’m looking for ways to expand storage in this area…I can’t really expand forward, so I’m thinking I’d make a tray for the tongue area with an angle iron frame and maybe an expanded metal base with some reinforcements. This would extend past the current storage area by about 7” on either side.

what do you guys think? I’d appreciate any other ideas or pics of your mods!!

popup-flyer

May 11, 2021
Central Texas
I think if the plate is flat you can just replace the plastic box and bolt it to the original plate and run the strap around the metal plate like the old one is... no problems.

theseus

Living the Darkside...
Silver Supporting Member
Feb 6, 2007
Centerville, OH
You could go with a lifepo4 battery. A 100ah battery (3-4 times the capacity of a group 24) is the same size as your current battery. Of course you’ll pay through the nose for it, so @FR228D might have the best idea.

Sjm9911

Super Active Member
May 31, 2018
Nj
Anything would work, 2 peices of angle iron secured for an extention. Whatever works really.

MNTCamper

Super Active Member
Jun 14, 2014
MN
A group 31 box should fit just fine in place of the box you have on there. They are not that much longer and it looks like you have space. In any case, you can make those measurements and check it for sure.

Greg H

Mar 22, 2019
Ontario, Canada
Hey all, thanks for the tips and sorry for the late response; took a last minute trip on Labor Day weekend.
I guess i should have been more detailed. According to my calculations (and Amazon search, a group 31 box is about 3.5”longer than my current box. That won’t fit in the same front-back orientation, so would have to go side-to-side and would be hanging off the edge of the existing plate by quite a bit.

To start, maybe I’ll just take @Sjm9911’s advice and start with a couple pieces of angle iron to extend the support. Thanks again guys!