Loose nuts ??

pcwizard2600

Mar 3, 2013
Rutland, VT
Hi All,
In the process of doing a roof rebuild on my '03 Coleman/Fleetwood Utah. After removing the trim, I noticed the nuts at the top of the corner posts only partially threaded on. 3 of the 4 posts look like the attached pic, the fourth is missing one nut all together. Since these are self locking nuts, I think it is safe to assume they did not just "loosen up". I guessing these should be tightened. Factory oversight maybe ?
Any comments appreciated,

Thank,
Pat

Attachments

• corner post.jpg
    corner post.jpg
    317.8 KB · Views: 24

Tarkus

Aug 15, 2021
Casper, Wyoming
Nuts and bolts can loosen up over time. Vibration can loosen any nut not secured with loctite or other thread locking compound.

I only use lock-nuts on my camper. Costs more, but you get what you pay for.

locknut.jpg

Red (for course threads) or blue (for fine threads) thread compound keeps nuts from backing out.

loctite.jpg

Another problem is staples or nails. They really like to back out either from vibration, rotted wood, or rust.
If I discover any of the above, I immediately replace it with a screw (or bolt) rated for outdoor use.

SlinginIron

Apr 21, 2016
Dayton, WA
No they are not supposed to be tight. They are lock nuts and they shouldn’t loosen. The nuts on my Utah are a flanged stover lock nut. They are a essentially a crimped nut, much more effective than a nylock type nut. I can’t remember what document I read it in when rebuilding the roof on my pup but, those nuts should be fully on the lift post threads but not tight. They are only there to prevent wind from taking the roof off when it is in the raised position. They are not tightened down to allow some play in your lift mechanism and to help with alignment when putting the roof into the down position. I hope this helps.

J Starsky

Super Active Member
Aug 3, 2017
East Central MN
Is there wood above those nuts? Reckon it rotted away?

Don't use red loctite on anything you can't get to with heat, like from a torch, if you plan to ever take it apart again.

I use blue for nearly everything.

I'm a clear nail polish kinda guy, if you didn't know [LOL] Keep away from the Red Stuff. That's the Devil in a Blue dress...

darthRudolph

Aug 8, 2022
IE, CA, US, Earth
+1 for Loctite! Although, if you really hate yourself, use red Loctite as it requires heat to break free. Use blue as it can be broken loose with hand tools.
There is nothing quite like the smell of red loctite at the moment it melts. Almost like a fresh cut apple, but with a hint of… acetone maybe?

Green, if you never ever (ever) want it to come off again. Or if you just want to mess with a future mechanic